7 Fascinating Technical Facts About The 2017 Honda NSX

RYU

Legendary Member
Tech Expert
This might be a fun read for some of you folks. Including how the brake pedal simulates all that "feel".

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-f...017-honda-nsx/

aafb28fa481c29c1545dfa1783e85cda.png

This might be a fun read for some of you folks. Including how the brake pedal simulates all that "feel".

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-f...017-honda-nsx/

aafb28fa481c29c1545dfa1783e85cda.png

Hi Ryu,
Thanks for the link.
Most of it I already knew (of course), but for instance, I hadn't noticed just how LOW that engine is sitting behind the driver.

Also, the part about the stiffness I like. I remember the original NSX already was way stiffer than any Porsche from that time.

Is it really true that there is no physical (fluid) connection between the brake pedal and the calipers? I guess I had assumed that there was some failsafe mode where some valves would close (or whatever) and bypass the brake-by-wire stuff and given you mechanical/hydraulic braking function in a "all systems failed" situation. Or do I need to fear certain death if there is an EMP pulse while I am at speed in the NSX? ;-)

Is it really true that there is no physical (fluid) connection between the brake pedal and the calipers? I guess I had assumed that there was some failsafe mode where some valves would close (or whatever) and bypass the brake-by-wire stuff and given you mechanical/hydraulic braking function in a "all systems failed" situation. Or do I need to fear certain death if there is an EMP pulse while I am at speed in the NSX? ;-)
You know what... i've had this fear with the standard hydraulic brake design in all my cars. Yet, I only hear of brake failure in the movies. I'd like to hope that Acura has a failsafe in place. There isn't really a failsafe in place in a normal car except the manual handbrake. These days you can't hardly find a car with a manual handbrake even.

Good point. I guess a burst hydraulic line in a conventional car leaves you only with the e-brake. I never thought of that. Thanks, now I'm gonna be slower on the tracks where total brake failure equals hitting a wall. ;-)

I thought the black line connecting the two units was a vacuum line, and the grey lines were brake fluid lines. That's how the motor in the lower unit can adjust the feel of the pedal that's connected to the upper unit, and it provides the mechanical backup of vacuum and fluid in case the electronic system fails. But I freely admit I could be mistaken.

Back