600hp and cylinder deactivation?

Leftlane is reporting some new info here.

working for Honda I assumed this is the route they would take the whole time although I assumed it would also have IMA tech included for fuel economy as well, but my guess is they dropped that idea as it would have added significant weight decreasing PTW and handling as well. I am actually excited to see where this goes, not my first choice but still digging this concept now :)

Sweet! I'm really excited about this info as well. Double the hp of the old NSX with better fuel economy to boot GO HONDA!

Sweet! I'm really excited about this info as well. Double the hp of the old NSX with better fuel economy to boot GO HONDA!

100K+ car and worried about fuel economy? Gotta be kidding me. Who cares!
Besides, for whatever reason, Mercedes and Honda (I think) have done it on other cars and it doesn't save as much as one would anticipate.
I don't expect 10 cylinders -? 5 cylinders to double the gas mileage, but who knows.

On the other hand, I can see gas mileage being important 7 years from now when teh car is.. maybe 50K and a 2002 is 14K :P (goodbye good resale value to our NSXs in a few years..) so... we'lll see.

Still, if you are buying a 100K+ car, don't tell me you're concerned about gas mileage

Besides, for whatever reason, Mercedes and Honda (I think) have done it on other cars and it doesn't save as much as one would anticipate.
I don't expect 10 cylinders -? 5 cylinders to double the gas mileage, but who knows.

On the other hand, I can see gas mileage being important 7 years from now when teh car is.. maybe 50K and a 2002 is 14K :P (goodbye good resale value to our NSXs in a few years..) so... we'lll see.

Still, if you are buying a 100K+ car, don't tell me you're concerned about gas mileage

This is why people don't understand the Honda philosophy. Even a 100k car should meet their "green environment" concept. :wink:

Why would you not? It has more to do with the person. I have friends who have $20k cars and don't care about fuel economy. To me for the money it great to know that I can still get good fuel economy. I had a modified 300ZX TT that would get almost 200 miles to the tank if I didn't push and 150 when I did. Gas was much then ( late 90's ) and it was still a pain in the azz! So I generally don't pay any attention to big engine high hp cars as I know they'll be a pain in the azz for gas.

Why is it that just because something is expensive it has to be wasteful. First Japanese car to sell over $100k was the Lexus Hybrid so there you go:biggrin:

The V-10 M6 has a very small range because the tank is too small, 70 litres, for a big engine.
The Honda should have a good range if the engineers want it. I don't like cylinder deactivation. I paid for 10 and I want 10.

The V-10 M6 has a very small range because the tank is too small, 70 litres, for a big engine.
The Honda should have a good range if the engineers want it. I don't like cylinder deactivation. I paid for 10 and I want 10.

So God give you ten fingers, if you need to pick a shot glass, which only two fingers are required, you will go out of your way, use both hands, all ten fingers to do it?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tony? Please tell me your kidding!

Lol honda is going retro with thier new car,drive it slow and you've got a vigor:tongue:

Tony? Please tell me your kidding!

I'm kidding. This new Honda sure has me curious though. I'll have to take a look see when it gets here.

The Prius is strange how it shuts off at stoplights and then starts again. It's also kind of dangerous if you cross the road illegally on foot and don't see it or hear it in electric mode.

I imagine when you need 10 cylinders they fire up right away and you don't even notice they were missing.

I'm kidding. This new Honda sure has me curious though. I'll have to take a look see when it gets here.

The Prius is strange how it shuts off at stoplights and then starts again. It's also kind of dangerous if you cross the road illegally on foot and don't see it or hear it in electric mode.

I imagine when you need 10 cylinders they fire up right away and you don't even notice they were missing.

LOL Whew!

Yeah I've never in my life been excited about a big engine like I have with this car and the uh "Acura Vigor" engine option is gonna be sweet for driving cross country to track events.

My NSX reached it's break in mileage on the way to the track I plan on treating this new car the same way:biggrin:

People not born into the silver-spoon lifestyle generally get to the point of buying things like 100K cars by being wise with their money. The fact that you've taken care with your money up to the point that you can finally achieve a 100K car purchase doesn't mean you suddenly lose your mind and drop all of the habits that got you where you are.

It's also important to some people to use as little gas as possible, for ethical reasons, though if you're really concerned about that, it's time to sign up for an alternative-energy car.

Next-Generation 2010 Acura NSX Exposed
Date posted: 07-28-2008

hondansxsketch1.500.jpg

hondansxsketch2.500.jpg

TOKYO — Honda thinks that the zebra-pattern camouflage we saw at Germany's Nürburgring in June will disguise the new look of its V10-powered Acura NSX replacement. But our sources in Japan, using some insider hints, have disrobed Honda's flagship sports car more than two years ahead of its unveiling.

Given what we see in these renderings, the grand tourer is neat but not gorgeous, and follows the 2007 Detroit Auto Show concept car's lines closer than first thought. And that's a shame, because the two-seater Acura's expected price tag of $160,000 will place it right on top of much prettier rivals in the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Maserati Gran Turismo and Jaguar XKR.

Like the Nissan GT-R, the new Acura V10 has left inspired styling behind and instead has opted for a more practical aerodynamic exterior. The car's upslanting keyhole-shaped headlights and narrow grille seem somewhat ordinary sitting above a huge gaping airdam and ducts to channel gulps of cool air to the engine and brakes.

Our insider explains that Honda has employed as much F1 design as possible to generate maximum downforce and straight-line stability. That is why the NSX replacement was able to turn up at the Nürburgring and rattle off a red-hot lap time of 7 minutes, 37 seconds on its first attempt, and without any cumbersome rear wings. Our source predicts that when Honda returns to the 'Ring for the autumn testing season, it will almost certainly post a time under 7:30, giving the GT-R a real run for its money.

In contrast to Nissan and Lexus, which have used heavy rear transaxles in their GT-R and LF-A supercars to deliver equal front-rear weight distribution, Honda's trick for generating stability and downforce is pure aerodynamics. The Acura supercar will tip the scales at around 3,256 pounds, more than 550 pounds lighter than the GT-R. A quick look at the camouflaged test mule reveals extra-heavy padding around the C-pillar, which our insider hints is hiding F1-inspired design.

The secret: The whole rear section of the coupe is like one big rear wing.

Fitted with a 5.5-liter V10 generating upwards of 600 horsepower and 433 pound-feet of torque, the future Acura produces a thrilling exhaust note. And when speed is not the issue, the V10 deactivates five cylinders to save fuel and lower emissions. The V10 is bolted to a quick-shifting six-speed dual-clutch transmission driving the rear wheels, while a revised version of Honda's Super Handling AWD system generates the car's prodigious grip levels, enabling such a quick 'Ring lap time.

Aiming to be faster than the GT-R and ZR1 and yet delivering more luxury and a better ride than the LF-A, Honda is working hard to pull off a double-whammy. — Peter Lyons, Correspondent

Given what we see in these renderings, the grand tourer is neat but not gorgeous, and follows the 2007 Detroit Auto Show concept car's lines closer than first thought. And that's a shame, because the two-seater Acura's expected price tag of $160,000 will place it right on top of much prettier rivals in the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Maserati Gran Turismo and Jaguar XKR.
See, that's my whole problem with the direction Honda's going with this thing. Yeah, maybe it'll be badass performance-wise, but jesus, it just doesn't look a whole lot different from the current Accord coupe. It looks better, but not a whole lot. I'm glad it looks less like than ASCC than it could have, but that's not saying much. Neither of these slight redeemings are very meaningful. I know these are just rendered guesses at the details, but no amount of camo can disguise the overall shape and look of a car.

When you shell out 160K+ for a car, I think you expect more than just a nice time around the ring. A six-figure car, even in the low sixes, needs to be exotic, a head-turner, and I don't mean people turn their heads to see what's making all the noise or what just tore past them on the freeway. You want something that looks like it's going 200mph when it's parked. You want a car people can't take their eyes off of.

This car ain't that.

*shrug*

See, that's my whole problem with the direction Honda's going with this thing. Yeah, maybe it'll be badass performance-wise, but jesus, it just doesn't look a whole lot different from the current Accord coupe. It looks better, but not a whole lot. I'm glad it looks less like than ASCC than it could have, but that's not saying much. Neither of these slight redeemings are very meaningful. I know these are just rendered guesses at the details, but no amount of camo can disguise the overall shape and look of a car.

When you shell out 160K+ for a car, I think you expect more than just a nice time around the ring. A six-figure car, even in the low sixes, needs to be exotic, a head-turner, and I don't mean people turn their heads to see what's making all the noise or what just tore past them on the freeway. You want something that looks like it's going 200mph when it's parked. You want a car people can't take their eyes off of.

This car ain't that.

*shrug*

Well I'm willing to wait and see what it looks like in person as for some reason these new cars that don't look good in pics look really good in person.

See, that's my whole problem with the direction Honda's going with this thing.

When you shell out 160K+ for a car, I think you expect more

I remember when Enzo ran Ferrari in the 1960's, he liked to say- "You're buying an engine, I throw in the car for free"

I think Honda came to this car with an "engine" and told the designers to put a car body around it (as if it was an afterthought) and this seems like a weak-spot for something they expect to bring top dollar.

Last edited:
I remember When Enzo ran Ferrari in the 1960's, he liked to say- "You're buying an engine, I throw in the car for free"

I think Honda came to this car with an engine and told the designers to put a car body around it (as if it was an afterthought) and that seems the weak spot for something they expect to bring top dollar.

I think that's exactly what happened. We've known about the V-10 for years now. There's always been rumors about problems trying to figure out what car to put it in though.

I remember when Enzo ran Ferrari in the 1960's, he liked to say- "You're buying an engine, I throw in the car for free"

I think Honda came to this car with an "engine" and told the designers to put a car body around it (as if it was an afterthought) and this seems like a weak-spot for something they expect to bring top dollar.

That's what you get for thinking!

I think that's exactly what happened. We've known about the V-10 for years now. There's always been rumors about problems trying to figure out what car to put it in though.

Same goes for you. You two are nuts! LOL

"the new Acura V10 has left inspired styling behind and instead has opted for a more practical aerodynamic exterior. The car's upslanting keyhole-shaped headlights and narrow grille seem somewhat ordinary sitting above a huge gaping airdam and ducts to channel gulps of cool air to the engine and brakes."

"Our insider explains that Honda has employed as much F1 design as possible to generate maximum downforce and straight-line stability. That is why the NSX replacement was able to turn up at the Nürburgring and rattle off a red-hot lap time of 7 minutes, 37 seconds on its first attempt, and without any cumbersome rear wings."

"In contrast to Nissan and Lexus, which have used heavy rear transaxles in their GT-R and LF-A supercars to deliver equal front-rear weight distribution, Honda's trick for generating stability and downforce is pure aerodynamics."

"The secret: The whole rear section of the coupe is like one big rear wing."

Honda is engineering the heck out of this ENZO killer and you guys keep saying dumb stuff ..LOL

That's what you get for thinking!

Same goes for you. You two are nuts! LOL

"the new Acura V10 has left inspired styling behind and instead has opted for a more practical aerodynamic exterior.
Honda is engineering the heck out of this ENZO killer and you guys keep saying dumb stuff ..LOL

You do make another good point....but I think it also supports our conclusion that this car is a bit dull on looks.

Many of the guys at Ferrari are complaining about the look of the new street cars and even the F1 cars.

In the 1990's and past, cars were designed by Italian artist.... they were a thing of beauty.

Now-a-days... mention the words "aerodynamic design" and the car loses some art, beauty, sexiness... the computer designed aerodynamic super-car will all look the same one day as this technology is perfected to its most perfect boring mathematical form.

If the first NSX was design inspired by the F16 ( a very sexy jet) this new NSX was design inspired by the more advanced computer mathematical design towards a point of perfection for down-force. Sort of like computer designs for any perfect shape to preform a function...its loses the art the human artist and you get simple shapes and blobs.
f16.jpg

Stealth_Bomber.jpg
s

Last edited:
Uh the only F16 inspiration on the NSX was the visibility from the cockpit. It's nice to remember something fondly but realistically the NSX design again was known as derivative back when it first came out.

Back then the Japanese car that was known for it lines/good looks was the 300ZX.

I like this new Honda more every day. I like it as much as the R8 and more than the new Ferrari California. It's too bad 160k, 240k in Canada, is way way more than I could afford.

Back then the Japanese car that was known for it lines/good looks was the 300ZX.

Yes a very good looking car. But you got what you paid for..... $40,000 and worth it.

NSX when it first came out ...$80,000 and worth it.

My concern is with this new NSX ..... worth $150,000? if you get the performance of a super-car but the looks of a Lexus IS/F, BMW 3 Series, or some MB SL-Class AMG

You spend about 10% of your time at 9/10th or 10/10th in a 500hp car... But you spend 80% of your time at maybe 5/10th if you're driving on the street. The fun part about the old NSX is that it looked like it was going 150mph even when it was sitting still, and it didn't blend in with 95% of the cars on the road...so it was fun to drive, even if you were just driving to the store for a pizza :biggrin:

Why do we buy these cars? (Unless you are a race car driver).... to have fun!

Last edited:
Yes a very good looking car. But you got what you paid for..... $40,000 and worth it.

NSX when it first came out ...$80,000 and worth it.

My concern is with this new NSX ..... worth $150,000? if you get the performance of a super-car but the looks of a Lexus IS/F, BMW 3 Series, or some MB SL-Class AMG

You spend about 10% of your time at 9/10th or 10/10th in a 500hp car... But you spend 80% of your time at maybe 5/10th if you're driving on the street. The fun part about the old NSX is that it looked like it was going 150mph even when it was sitting still, and it didn't blend in with 95% of the cars on the road...so it was fun to drive, even if you were just driving to the store for a pizza :biggrin:

Why do we buy these cars? (Unless you are a race car driver).... to have fun!

I hate the way GTR looks, Z06 is kinda ugly. I will go as far as saying the 599 is ugly, but I'll tell you what, give me one of those and I will have plenty of fun.

The truth is, do you know how sad it is amount of mad $..T talk about this new Honda when none of us have really seen it.

Little premature, don't you think?

I think the name "NSX" being thrown around to some car that doesn't resemble the predecessor at all is kind of frustrating. I hate the front engine lay-out. And Vance.... I don't know what to say man. Ugly is ugly. I thought they scrapped the old design because everyone at the car shows hated it. These new pics, while different, still look similar to the old concept. Ugly. :frown:

Back