6 speed with R&P 4.55:1

S|b

Contributing Member
Could anyone give me more information about driving impressions of having R&P 4.55:1 installed in a 6 speed?

pros?

cons?

(i know that it is being mentioned a bit about this issue in the FAQ but i want more
information)

/stef

Personally, I don't like it, especially with a forced induction car. 1st in the 6-spd is already shorter than in the 5-spd so by the time you add the 4.55 it's a stump puller. Probably not so bad with a normally aspirated car if you like the sense of rapid gear changes, but I think the 6-spd is just about right with the stock R&P.

SJS has described just what you get with the 6spd and 4:55, I have the combo on a supercharged car, It pulls hard and fast.
The gear changes come pretty fast, great on the right track though.
I have it with larger rear wheels, seems to help a little.
Though the gearing would not be my first choice, The top end seems to suffer do to the setup. I actually go on long drives and sometimes I get to really stretch the cars legs at the higher speeds. Friends seem to love it when they are in the passenger seat, they always talk about how quick the car is. I can/do live with it.
I would definately suggest driving someone's car that has it to get a feeling for yourself.
Len
n9s5x-t

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 02 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 02 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 03 January 2003).]

Originally posted by S|b:
pros?

- Quicker acceleration in any given gear

- Slight acceleration improvement overall (reduces 1/4 mile times by 0.18 second)

- Perceived acceleration is much quicker because you reach redline quicker (even though you might not be reaching a given road speed all that much quicker)

Originally posted by S|b:
cons?

- Cost

- Value (other mods - e.g. supercharger - provide much better performance increase per dollar)

- Poorer fuel economy

- Quicker acceleration in any given gear does not always translate to quicker acceleration overall, since at some speeds it pushes you into a higher gear for poorer acceleration

It has other effects, like lowering all your shift point speeds, but that may be a plus or a minus, depending on your needs.

Originally posted by sjs:
1st in the 6-spd is already shorter than in the 5-spd so by the time you add the 4.55 it's a stump puller.

1st is shorter? I thought 1st gear was the same for both the 5 and 6 speeds!

Performance wise, the 6-speed coupled with the 4.55 produces the best acceleration for any type of driving: street, track, or 1/4 mile. The big con is the price tag.

Bob

I've been running that combo for a couple of years now. The first 18 months naturally aspirated and the last 6 with the addition of BBSC. The car N/A was enhanced incredibly by the swap from my stock 5 speed. I had my TCS engage during the 2-3 shift a few times. Now with the BBSC it's really an incredible drive. Up to 100 mph it has a definite advantage as compared to a BBSC car with the 5 speed. At higher speeds, 120+, the 5 speed car has the advantage from my experience. So, it depends on what kind of driving you do and what kind of driving experience you prefer. I, myself, thrive on the visceral sensations provided by the violent gear changes and neck snapping gear torque of my current setup. Just one man's opinion.

Another option you have now is to use the 4.23 from the new NSX-R. so it will be quicker than the normal 6 speed, and not as dizzy as the 4.55. It all comes down to what kind of driving you are doing.

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
Another option you have now is to use the 4.23 from the new NSX-R. so it will be quicker than the normal 6 speed, and not as dizzy as the 4.55. It all comes down to what kind of driving you are doing.

Has anyone confirmed that the 4.23 R&P from the new NSX-R will swap in to a regular US 6-speed car? There has been discussion that that are some other differences with the new NSX-R clutch/transmission (not the least of which that it is a dual-disc clutch)...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
It is. (Good catch!) They both have a numeric ratio of 3.071.

Wooops, my bad. I wonder where I got that because I was confident enough not to check before posting. Sorry..

Anyway, some of the above posts seem to be comparing this combo to a stock 5-sp, which is very different than comparing it to a stock 6-spd as originally asked. As I said, the first couple gears are too short for me with a boosted car, which isn't quite offset by the extra pull at warp speeds. But I can understand how some people enjoy the perceived rush.

Back