42 miles on new car?

Hey all. My dealer is telling me that the 42 mi on a brand new NSX is from testing at the factory in Japan. Do you think this is true?

avalon96 said:
Hey all. My dealer is telling me that the 42 mi on a brand new NSX is from testing at the factory in Japan. Do you think this is true?

+ driving on and off the ship

avalon96 said:
Really? 42 seems excessive. I see NSXs with under 10 miles all the time. Is this just random testing?

Its impossible to see NSX's with under 30 miles on them, I believe it even states on the window sticker that all cars are road tested in Tohgigi(?), Japan. Sorry about the spelling :smile: Ive seen about 50 new NSX's and i've never seen one with under 35 miles on them. Theya re all shipping out of seattle and delivered in enclosed trailers...

Mine had 42 as well. It has the name of the test driver that put the mileage on the car on a certificate. I called him and told him I hated him and to watch his back. He might have an "accident" and then I'd try to get his job!! :biggrin:

That's interesting that they test the NSX before selling it. I would have thought that it had gone on a few test drives with 42 miles on it.

Just for comparison, my brand new RSX-S had 4 miles on it when I bought it.

all new acura's should be test drive for 10 miles or so. but the run of mill car will not get the same treatment from techs doing the pre-delivery inspection. OTOH, NSX will get a drive around the block in addition to the test drive from the factory. So 35> miles is very common.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Its impossible to see NSX's with under 30 miles on them, I believe it even states on the window sticker that all cars are road tested in Tohgigi(?), Japan. Sorry about the spelling :smile: Ive seen about 50 new NSX's and i've never seen one with under 35 miles on them. Theya re all shipping out of seattle and delivered in enclosed trailers...

I do not know where your NSX's are coming from, but every new NSX that I saw when working at the Acura dealer here had between 12 miles and 15 miles on it, never any more than that. What it says on the sticker is that the mileage can be up to 50 miles from testing of the car when new. This usually translates into dealer service and sales associates flogging on the car when new. Again, I worked at a dealership in college and grew used to this. :wink:

Ive never seen an NSX with 10 or 15 miles on it. I highly doubt that any dealer will let their PDI tech put 25-40 miles on a $90k car. Each car is track tested and from the factory :smile: I even asked our district rep... Ive got a 2005 red/ebony on its way so ill let you know the miles when it arrives :smile:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Ive never seen an NSX with 10 or 15 miles on it. I highly doubt that any dealer will let their PDI tech put 25-40 miles on a $90k car. Each car is track tested and from the factory :smile: I even asked our district rep... Ive got a 2005 red/ebony on its way so ill let you know the miles when it arrives :smile:

Yeah, let me know. Because through high school and part of college I worked for an Acura dealer and every new NSX that we received had between 12 and 15 miles on it. The PDI techs would wait for sunny days to PDI them because then they could take off the targa tops. :biggrin:

I would often ride with them on their PDI drives, which were between 10-25 miles depending on who was doing the PDI. :wink:

Meeyatch1 said:
I would often ride with them on their PDI drives, which were between 10-25 miles depending on who was doing the PDI. :wink:
I bet even back then, you were telling them, "Go put some miles on that NSX!!!"

nsxtasy said:
I bet even back then, you were telling them, "Go put some miles on that NSX!!!"

HAHA!! Actually, yes I was. I even got the General Manager to let me take the Formula Red/Onyx NSX-T that was on the showroom floor out for a 2 hour drive because it had been sitting for so long. I advised him that it was not good for the car to sit for so long, and the battery was probably dying. 10 minutes later I am putting a license plate on it and driving it off the showroom floor and out into the countryside. See, even before I was an owner I was adding as many miles as possible. :biggrin:

Just got a new 2005 in today, came in with 26 miles on it !!

I seem to recall an old thread where someone watched his newly delivered NSX come off the trailer. Then, upon seeing the mileage, he asked the same question as avalon96. Can't hardly be a sales person out flogging if you witness it being delivered, can it?

I know that all NSXs are test driven at a 4km high speed test track near Tochigi but I have no idea how far. It has to pass this test before it is released from the factory.

Man....my dealership must have had some exceptional cars then, because they had such low miles.

mine had 32.

If you look at the Japanese NSX book by Mooks "refresh NSX" it shows the testing they do to the NSX at the factory before it gets the final OK.

Back