355 F1 or Modena F1 Which would you choose and why??

<disclaimer>I have not actually driven or riden either </disclaimer>

I have however spent some quality time in each in a showroom floor.

I have always lusted after the F355 due to it's engine sound and performance metrics. That was until I actually sat in one.

I had an instant increased appreciation for how good of a job Honda did so much earlier in time than the F355 on ergonomics. At 6'2" the reach required for the steering wheel was horribly uncomfortable. Designed for simians.
The front wheels intrude severly into the footwell and your legs are canted to the right relative to your torso (LHD). Two of them that I saw had bubbled dashboards, loose trim throughout. The quality of the materials was not up to expecations. I am not refering to leather and wood. Things I dont' care that much about (especially wood, yucko). I'm referring to the quality of the plastics. Toyota could have taght them lessons. And perhaps they did becuase the 360 Modena was a compeltely different story.
Plenty of hip room, very good ergo, high quality materials. The seats, headliner. Excellent.

As much as I'd love to hear the F355 on a daily basis, no way could I live with it. Especially having been an NSX owner. I see it as a side-grade rather than an upgrade.

Given the chance at Modena ownership I would give up the NSX in a heartbeat

So perhaps the choice would be 360 w/ Tubi exhaust to reclaim that sound volume.

Fab,

I felt the EXACT same way when I first sat in a 355. I had always loved the car, but when I sat in it, I was like... YUK. Felt cheap and like things were falling apart. Not near as good as the NSX feels.

The 360 does feel A LOT better in all areas.

Well, being the voice of practicality that I am often accused of by my business partner.... Assuming my choice of 355 or 360 would come in the form of a gift that I didn't have to pay for...I would take a 360...sell it...and with the the proceeds, buy an newer NSX and an investment property.

I have driven a couple of F355s but only been in a 360 a few times. A couple of friends own one of each in F1 trannys and both have had numerous problems with them. I have only DRIVEN the 6speeds, and by far I think the 6 speed manual will be an overall more enjoyable driving car. And unless you really need the miniscule thousandths of a second difference...then why bother? Honestly, I don't see how it matters in anything other than competition, and even then it may still be more driver than machine that will make up the barely measurable amounts of time you can make up by shifting F1 style.

Like mentioned above, the F1 shifts are not smooth (worse in 355, not much better in 360), and don't get too much smoother at high speeds. I prefer the gated shifter myself, but again I prefer the driving sensation coupled with shifting. There's just a real loss of experience in my opinion with the F1.

As for 355...the sound of the 360 just can't compare without a Tubi. The 360 is also a much larger car...and feels as such from the inside. For daily driving I think the 360 would be a safer, and more comfortable car to drive, and I think it actually does weigh less despite being larger. How it feels...I can't compare since I haven't driven a 360 yet...only ridden. The F355 feels wonderful but has it's quirks for sure. Balance being one of them...I tend to think despite be lauded by the press it's not going to feel NEAR as balanced as the NSX does. 360...is again probably better. I still can't help like the 355 more...I don't know what it is...and I'm a huge 250LM fan.

As far as reliability...the newer car will probably have an edge unless the 355 is well taken care of and sorted out with all the proper updates. I have seen a few 360 F1 trannies apart in what I thought were a SMALL amount of miles due to the beating the clutches take. I would think that the F1 system would be easier on them, but apprently this is not the case. After being in the Ferrari dealer service bay here enough, I have seen more F1s needing work or being towed than 6 spds. If that means anything to you...

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

in yellow the 355 looks better to me...Yellow Bloats the 360 out of proportion in some light. (yeah that's a gay defense, cause in person they're both bad arse!)
smile.gif

The interior on the 360 is big...cadillac big compared to the 355. To some that makes it less sports car feeling...the 355 seems more edgy too because of it's smaller interior. Ergonomics of the 355 are like the 348 if that helps you compare, only slightly updated.

I would buy the 355 in red or titanium black. The 360 in the silver/light-light bluish...

Which one to choose? Let's put the NSX in the equation:

- I preferred the NSX over the F348 when I had the chance to buy one of them!
biggrin.gif

- I'd be very confused if I could choose between a 1997+ NSX and a F355. Maybe I would take the F355 but only after thinking on it A LOT!

- I would take the F360 over any NSX (Targa, TwinTurbo, Supercharged, 20" wheels, whatever...)

Easy choice for me!

After driving the 360F1, I MUST HAVE ONE! Only problem is $$$ unfortunately...what else is new.

The 355 in a way still has better styling and im told sounds a lot better when you are driving it, but OMG, after reading the NSXFILES.COM review of how unrelible the thing is, the more logical part tell me to keep away!

Back