350Z testdrive experience.....HORROR!!

ak said:
Did he indicate that he was not interested in buying the car when he was talking on the phone? Oh well, either way, dealers will be dealers. Whenever I go to a dealer, I assume they are trying to deceive you and make you buy. He should just have said, yeah I'm interested, then leave after test drive. Eye for an eye kinda thing.

Punish him for being honest you mean? That does not seem right. But maybe that is just the pesky moral side of me poking through. :)

how did this post get dug up after more than a year in hiding???

nissan sales are literally handing the keys to everyone who wants a testdrive nowadays....sorry, the interest is long gone...haven't been back to a nissan dealer since that incident.

Heres one for you. I talked the dodge salesman into a test drive of the Neon SRT-4 turbo. They actually had to move it off the showroom floor since it was the only one currently in stock. It really is a very fast car ( obviously nowhere near my NSX ) and I did get to put it through its paces. Heres the kicker, after the test drive the manager comes over thinking that I'm ready to buy and I tell him I'm still in the process of shopping around, but that I was impressed with his car. He practically goes off on me telling me he never would have let me drive the car if he had known I wasn't going to buy. I never told the salesman that I was ready to buy. I think the SRT-4 would have made a fun daily driver but after that scene I wouldn't buy dog food from that fool. Just goes to show even the lowly dodge dealers can be jerks.:rolleyes:

Zipy said:
Heres one for you. I talked the dodge salesman into a test drive of the Neon SRT-4 turbo. They actually had to move it off the showroom floor since it was the only one currently in stock. It really is a very fast car ( obviously nowhere near my NSX ) and I did get to put it through its paces. Heres the kicker, after the test drive the manager comes over thinking that I'm ready to buy and I tell him I'm still in the process of shopping around, but that I was impressed with his car. He practically goes off on me telling me he never would have let me drive the car if he had known I wasn't going to buy. I never told the salesman that I was ready to buy. I think the SRT-4 would have made a fun daily driver but after that scene I wouldn't buy dog food from that fool. Just goes to show even the lowly dodge dealers can be jerks.:rolleyes:

Those fools crack me up. I mean, it is a Neon. Rental car agencies rent Neons for crying out loud. Granted, they are not the SRT-4, but still. Most dealers just do not want to actually WORK for your sale anymore. They seem to only want the person that will pay over sticker, never test drive, and believe all their lies. Sorry guys, but most customers are not that stupid anymore. Or at least, not this one... ;)

My buddy in the wholesale car business picked up a 350z decked out with the veilside front/rear spoilers, wing, hood, and side skirts. The car had a BIG sound system, intake, exhaust, and a nitrous set up. (not sure what Nitrous shot he had) He called me a few times and finally came by. The car looked awesome. If you like 350Z's I'd check out the veilside kit.

anyway,

We ran 0-60 and 50-120. (I have a stock 3.2T) From 0-60 on the on-ramp, I was able to pull ahead and get in front of him. We ran 50-120 and by the time I hit 110, he was spraying and about 6 car links behind me. I wasn't sure if he was even trying. His car must have been weighted down quite a bit with aftermarket 19" wheels, body kit, stereo equipment/speaker box.

He thought it was fast, but sold it less than a week later. :p

Zipy said:

since this post has been resurrected, let's have some more fun....i also went to a dodge dealership...to look at the new viper SRT-10..but no testdrive of course.

the funny part was the sales guy...he's a really cool african american guy that wants me to call him cousin lance....so be it.
this was a while back so the SRT-4 was really hot at the time. i saw one sitting at the side lot and asked for a testdrive. he was really cool and decided to go against management. he, myself and a friend of mine got in and let me tell you, the rear wheels couldn't stop spinning. i didn't even need to let the clutch out fast and punch the pedal...a slight punch on the gas will cause the car to spin front wheels...yes, even with three in the car. the manager watched as i did this in the dealership lot.....accident on my part. nevertheless, cousin lance was cool.....

Blue Knight said:

the funny part was the sales guy...he's a really cool african american guy that wants me to call him cousin lance....so be it.
this was a while back so the SRT-4 was really hot at the time. i saw one sitting at the side lot and asked for a testdrive. he was really cool and decided to go against management. he, myself and a friend of mine got in and let me tell you, the rear wheels couldn't stop spinning.

Did I miss something?

How did you get the rear wheels spinning on a FWD Neon?

When I decided to purchase an NSX, I went to both dealers in town. I drove in in my 200 S2K. I was unshaven and wore, shall we say, <b>work</b> clothes (clean but old and a little ratty).

There was one X at each dealership -- one yellow and one blue. The reception and treatment I received at the two dealerships was about as different as the colors of the cars. At the first dealership, I was treated with a level of indifference approaching rudeness. The salesperson wasn't even too thrilled to take the time to show me the car (they had it parked in a garage separate from the showroom). When I asked to test drive the X, I was told that they don't allow test drives of their high end units.

My experience with the second dealership was a totally different and refreshing experience. The salesperson, Rebecca Hernandez, was not only polite but actually seemed interested in pleasing me as a customer. We went over the car in the showroom and she answered all of my questions. When I asked for a test drive, she asked for my DL and insurance card and had the car moved outside while she made copies of my information.

After the test drive (during which she urged me to push the car faster) we sat and talked for a while. Then I told here that I wanted to sleep on it. After all $90,000 is a lot of money.

During the next week I went in two more times to ask questions and drool some more. The next Monday, I went back, we worked out the details, and I wrote a check.

I tell this story to point out that although, when it comes to car salespeople, I am a bit jaded I was pleasantly surprised to find one with whom it was actually a pleasure to do business.

Back in 94 I'm at the dealership and this twenty some year old guy and his beautiful girlfriend drive up in a 944. He asks to test drive the 94 NSX. It has no miles on it except from the factory and they let him take it out with a salesman. I got to chat with his gf while they were gone and she said she didn't like the dull silver coloured 91 NSX in the lot. Later I talked to the sales people and they said they knew the Porche guy wasn't going to buy the NSX he was just showing off for his girlfriend.
Why did they let him drive it then? Later when the dealer was trying to sell a new 95 in 98 they wouldn't let anybody drive it. Not even one of their former NSX customers.

Da Hapa said:
Did I miss something?

How did you get the rear wheels spinning on a FWD Neon?

my bad...inconsistency in msg...if you read all of my msg, you'll see front wheel spinning later....

Quick question - who in the world is paying one cent over sticker for a 350Z?!? Every Nissan dealer around has a ton of them on the lot, and you should have no problem paying at or under sticker, AFTER you test drive one. A local dealer gave me one (track model) for the weekend last June when I was interested in trading my TL-S. (I ended up going with the G35 coupe - much nicer package all around, plus backseat). They had no problem letting me drive one and were selling it at sticker. Of course, I didn't show up with 3 boy racer buddies with shit eating grins, either.

Also, the first sign you were dealing with a complete jackass was his request to test drive your NSX, and I can't believe you were going to go along with it. Are you nuts? :eek:

i had a bad clutch so i figure i could blame him for it and get a new clutch....:D

"Of course, I didn't show up with 3 boy racer buddies with shit eating grins, either"

these your friends? certainly not mine.....

Blue Knight said:
i had a bad clutch so i figure i could blame him for it and get a new clutch....:D

"Of course, I didn't show up with 3 boy racer buddies with shit eating grins, either"

these your friends? certainly not mine.....

Yeah, I think some dealerships and some salesmen are jerks! I've had some pretty bad experiences before also. 2 that come to mind are when I was buying my very first car at 16. I wanted a Mustang LX 5.0.

1st: Called Ford Dealership asking if they had any 91-93 Mustang LX 5.0's for sale. Salesman said we sure do. I got the details and asked his name. Made a 45 minute trip and guess what, no LX 5.0!!! I asked for the salesman, and guess what, there was no one there by that name.

2nd: This actually happened at a Acura Dealership. Went to check out a LX 5.0, it was sold already. The salesman said they had another 5.0 at another dealership and he would transfer it over if we would wait. We(me and my dad) waited about an hour and guess what, a freakin 4 cylinder! We were so upset, and explained to the salesman that we specifically asked for a 5.0. The salesman told my dad that the insurance is going to be cheaper and better gas mileage etc etc etc. He said it had a lot of pep and was angry that he went out of his way to get the car and we wouldnt even test drive it. I should have taken it, dogged the shit out of it, and given it back to him.

- Z

It is pretty amazing how dealerships handle customers. Sure they get burned occasionally by 'tire kickers' or window shoppers, or whatever, but that's their business. They all profile customers in one way or another.

When I was shopping for an E55, one of the local Mercedes dealerships treated me very much like I must have thought I was looking for an Elantra instead, barely willing to talk to me about anything, much less an E55.

Whereas a competitive dealership a few miles away treated me very well, bringing in an E55 to my exact specifications without so much as a deposit, agreeing to let me drive it before anyone without obligation. Turns out I bought it and they got a nice sale out of it.

Dealerships need to take the good with the bad and treat everyone as a potential customer, either present or future, and they will ultimately be rewarded. This business of taking a quick look at someone and deciding if they are worth their time will only result in lost sales and reputation.

JS

i totally hear ya, bro......

too often do dealerships pre-judge the buying potential of the customer. do we really need to put on a business attire and show our business cards and bank accounts before we get some decent customer service???

customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction goes way beyond just that one customer.

here's an interesting story...i went to the maserati/ferrari challenge last sat at infineon raceway. there were a few dealerships there with their top notch exotics. i walked by a sales guy standing next to his F50, F40 and another car i couldn't remember. many people were surrounding the yellow F50 to take pics and some asked to sit in it for pics. he refused most of them. i stepped up, gave him my business card and exchanged a few words with him. immediately, i had a few pics taken sitting inside....trying out the shifter, clutch and neat buttons inside the car. a lady walked by, saw me and asked the same question. she and the sales guy exchanged some words and i guess the answer was no because she left.

the make a long story short, i had no intention to buy his $695k car, but i guess he was willing to take a chance.....end of story.

Blue Knight said:
...too often do dealerships pre-judge the buying potential of the customer. do we really need to put on a business attire and show our business cards and bank accounts before we get some decent customer service???...

Correct. But some dealers are just brain dead. The dealer here in Fort Wayne, Indiana (Fort Wayne Acura) suffers from this disease, badly!!

When I was looking to buy my first NSX I went to them and asked them to keep there eyes out and find me a 1991, 1992, or 1993 NSX used with fair miles. I was 22, but had already bought about 6 cars from them, and referred a ton of other people. Did they lift a finger to help me get an NSX?? NO!!!

The kicker was that when I did go in there with my newly acquired '91 NSX the General Manager had the audacity to tell me to my face that the car was not mine, and that I must have borrowed it from someone!! My mother was with me and said, 'Excuse me. This is my sons NSX. Do you have a problem with that,' and the GM quickly shut up.

Now, you would think that would teach them a lesson, but no it did not. When I was looking for a SECOND NSX, I decided to give them another chance against my better judgement. The same thing happened. No help at all, and they did not believe it was mine until I busted out my registration. Now, how dumb can a dealer be?? Previous customer of SEVERAL cars, and repeat NSX buyer...yet you do nothing to actually sell him a car. STUPID!!

Of course I have run into this way too many times. People misjudged me because of my age generally and automatically assumed I could not buy the cars. When will dealers learn that people do not just walk in and slap down a checkbook or money roll, and that normal looking people usually are the ones buying their cars?? Morons... :(

In case you are wondering, this is why the last 4 cars I have bought have been over the Internet. I can choose from all over the country, and I do not have to deal with the bullcrap of being misjudged. Plus, it is REALLY fun to walk into a dealer and look at the car I have already bought over the phone and net and have them pretend I cannot afford it. SURPRISE!! IT IS MINE!! :D

naaman said:

I did that when I bought my M3 and my '94 NSX and it was hilarious. The M3 guys were not too bad, but the ones selling me the '94 NSX were HORRIBLE!! If you are ever in the Chicago area DO NOT buy anything from Woodfield Hummer / Chevrolet. They misrepresented various aspects of the car, and then did some other shady things like trying to change the agreed upon price once I got there. Sorry pal, not today. I am paying what we agreed to and not a penny more. :D

The last time I had an experience like that, I called up my automated banking number and let the sales guy and manager hear my bank balance.
They completely changed their tone and were practically begging me to take the car and even keep it overnight to think it over. I hate it when people are like that and stereotype. See a young guy and *ass*ume.
This doesn't have alot to do with the original thread but some of the other posts. :mad:

one advantage here in the silicon valley is that most dealerships assume buyers can afford new cars due to the number of hi-techys in the areas. the disadvantage is the high premium for new cars.

that's also why they have the snobbish attitudes....if you don't buy, someone else will....as a result, testdrives become hard sometimes.

I had the same experience as Blue Knight when I wanted to test drive the 350Z. I called Jim Click Nissan and they told me that they were taking appointments for test drives since they only had two. I thought that was understandable and made an appointment. My husband and I went to the dealership for our "appointment" and were told that they do not allow people to test drive the 350Z's! They did not even want to take the time to show us the car, let alone let us test drive it! A couple of months later, I was at the Thouroghbred Nissan (the other Nissan dealer in town) and looking into trading in my maxima. We test drove the new maxima and thought about the 350Z again. They had approximately 10 on the lot and we were once again told that they do not allow test drives. I thought this was ridiculous considering how many they had sitting on their lot! :eek:

I also have many experiences with being judged by sales people. I look much younger than I am, but people should have learned by now that you cannot judge a book by its cover. The most frustrating time was when I was shopping for my house. I was only 21 at the time and many of the real estate agents just ignored me. I was very pleased when I went into the Richmond American sub-division and the two salesmen welcomed me and showed me each of the models. Needless to say, I picked out a lot and bought my house within a couple of weeks. :cool:

I also had a similar experience with home buying. I was in my twenties at the time....well, still am :) I bought a home in one of the nicer hills in the valley and the sales people were nice at first. It took nine months from the time I bought it to the completion of the home.

During the 9 months waiting period, I was supposed to have several formal sessions to go over the progress of each milestone. I got fewer and fewer calls as time progressed. I was stood up for two of the formal appointments. Maybe that wouldn't have happened if I was a CEO of some company and always walked into their office in business attire.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I called the N. California customer support line and filed a complaint report. The VP of the local office called back and preached about their number one priority in customer satisfaction......I was happy at the end to receive an american express card for a few hundred bucks.

Maybe from this point on, I'll need to put on a suit everytime I plan to buy something big... :D

Back