3000 mile black '92 in San Francisco Bay Area

I've seen this car around when I used live in the bay area. Very clean, I mean what car wouldn't be with 3000 miles on it. Crazy.

I think I would have some problems purchasing a car this age with so few miles. Not too long ago I was looking at a 1998 355 with less than 5,000 miles. I remembered my mechanic telling me a story about receiving a 348 with around 2,000 miles. He said the injectors seemed like they were covered in some type of hardened film, and that it was going to be a total engine rebuild.

Ya got to drive them...

Dtrigg said:
I think I would have some problems purchasing a car this age with so few miles. Not too long ago I was looking at a 1998 355 with less than 5,000 miles. I remembered my mechanic telling me a story about receiving a 348 with around 2,000 miles. He said the injectors seemed like they were covered in some type of hardened film, and that it was going to be a total engine rebuild.

Ya got to drive them...

Ive heard that about Ferrari's that dont get driven often as well.

For those that want an all-original clean ultra low-mileage NSX, even if the engine needed a rebuild, it might still be worth it.

Ever price out what it costs to put in a new interior? The leather panels, console plastics, dash, side panels, carpet, etc., will run you over $15,000, assuming 25% discount off list prices from one of the discount parts vendors. I'm pretty sure you can get an engine rebuilt for a lot less. If I'm not mistaken, I think $15000 might even be approaching the price for a new engine, again, assuming 25% discount off list.

So, assuming you were able to buy this car for say $37,000, put another say $5000 into an engine rebuild, it's still cheaper than buying a normal mileage '91 or '92 and trying to recondition/restore the interior & other stuff to "new" using OEM parts, and I don't think you can get a clean later model with similar mileage for that price either.

Back