24 hours of lemons

i'm putting together a team to run at least one 2009 event, possibly more. steve gooding is on board as chief mechanic and we bought a car today for $500 (88 integra) which should make the nsx gods happy.

the #1 goal of our team is to have fun (and there seems to be no shortage of that at le mons events) - winning is a distant second (or third, or tenth). that being said, i also want to make a serious effort to actually *finish* the race since it's a lot more fun driving than watching, so we're talking 7/10 driving and car conservation in addition to a mechanically solid platform and thorough prep work.

everyone wants to know the cost, and i'll tell you the truth - i've no idea. but i think $5000 per event is a reasonable figure for the base car, safety prep (cage, brakes, seats, etc), entry fee, travel, fuel, spare parts, food, etc. split between five people that's $1000 each, not bad considering what it costs to attend a typical hpde weekend. with a 50% fudge factor you're looking at $1500 each. note that every driver must have a suit and helmet, you're on your own for that.

sound like fun? we're still waiting for the 2009 schedule to be announced but if you're interested in joining our merry little band here's what you'll need:

1. road track experience. multiple hpde good, instructor better, wheel to wheel background excellent. street [driving|racing|whatever] does NOT count, nor does 200 hours of gran turismo 3.

2. live reasonably close to the triangle.

3. enough free time to dedicate to the effort. so if you work 70 hours a week, have six kids, and enjoy four other hobbies this may not be the best thing for you.

4. any special skills will be highly beneficial. are you fangio reincarnate? an experienced metal fabricator? can do paint or body work? great at publicity or getting sponsors? let us know!

5. enough money to contribute your fair share (my estimate above is just a guess, it may end up being more), and a $500 deposit up front. no money, no team. sorry if that sounds harsh but we've already spent real money and you'll need to demonstrate your committment with more than just words.

email jason at [email protected] if you'd like to hook up with us, i'm hoping to have the roster complete in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Wow - that sounds like a BLAST. I have none of the requirements you seek but still would love to do it!

Good luck. Keep a good blog/camera so the rest of us can live vicariously through you!!!

:)

I am (most likely) IN !! anybody got a cheap racing suit they wanna sell?

This is gonna be a blast. So stupid, it HAS to be fun.

C'mon. You KNOW you have always wanted to be Michael Schumacher. This is your chance. Carpe Diem.

a photo of "Black Beauty" (before any race mods or graphics)

Attachments

• BlackBeauty1.jpg
    BlackBeauty1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 59
Man this sounds like a blast. Wish I had the time to fly down and do it. Can you explain it a little more or is there a web site?

Jeff- Nice video- we will be in touch as the season progresses to get some pointers.

Back