2008 Cayenne GTS or Range Rover Sport HSE?

Recently, my mom has decided to give her sister (who lives in NJ) her current 07 MDX since she wrecked the Pathfinder that my mom gave her 4 years ago. So, my mom asked me to get her a price on a new 09 MDX. I got her a price of $49k OTD for the top of the line model with some add ons like running board, roof rack, cross beam, wood trim steering wheel and shiftknob, cargo tray, and all weather mats (this is how her 07 was spec'd out). The price was $2k under invoice.

Anyway, it got me thinking for that kind of money, she should try out something else. Range Rover is offering a lease on the Sport for $799 a month with 1499 down for 3 years and 10k miles a year. My mom only drives maybe 8k miles a year anyway so the miles don't really matter. The only option on the Sport is the cold weather package but the base model includes many bells and whistles such as bluetooth, navi. The best part for her about the Landrover is that after 3 years, she can just turn it in since I've heard you don't want to own one of these after the warranty expires.

Then, I saw the prices of the 08 GTS and how they've fallen quite a bit. There is no bluetooth on the GTS. She drives very slow so the 400hp might be too much and perhaps she should look at just the S version. But she loves the way the GTS looks versus the S (subtle differences).

Btw, I took her to both dealers and got her a test drive in both vehicles. She likes them all and can't decide.

Can any owners chime in with their experiences with either car?

I have a RR Sport HSE and love it. Haven't really had any problems to speak of. I did look at the Porsche also, but after the rear main seal problems with my 911, I decided to never buy another Porsche.

Rob

Why doesn't she lease the MDX and pocket the difference? When you say you got a price of $49k OTD on a top of the line model, is that a Sport Ent model? If she doesn't really care about all the bells and whistles, she could lease a "base" (I hate that word) MDX and still have money to lease a TSX if she wants.

Leases are strongly based on residuals. What are the 36 month residuals on the other 2 cars?

I was recently looking for a Range Rover, but have read through consumer complaints that the Range Rover have a few mechanical issues ranging from transmissions blowing at 30K, to stuff catching on fire for no apparent reason. There are many people who do not like this vehicle. But if buying/leasing new, range rover would be a great pick.

Why doesn't she lease the MDX and pocket the difference? When you say you got a price of $49k OTD on a top of the line model, is that a Sport Ent model? If she doesn't really care about all the bells and whistles, she could lease a "base" (I hate that word) MDX and still have money to lease a TSX if she wants.

Leases are strongly based on residuals. What are the 36 month residuals on the other 2 cars?

It is a sport and entertainment package. Originally, a lease was not an option to her because she likes to keep her cars. I'm the one who likes the lease offer on the RR Sport and thought she might enjoy the car. If Landrover had this kind of offer on the big daddy, I would be all over it myself. I remember when Acura had that $799 lease on a new NSX. That was a smoking deal (imho).
As far as she doesn't care about all the bells and whistles, it makes no sense why she wants these options when she doesn't even know how to use them. So, I can't explain that to you.

These cars are often refered to as 'city-tractor' over here :biggrin:

Though the RR would be quality wise below the P, there is no hassle big enough to overlook the 'stylish' factor in advantage of the RR.

Resale on the RR would indeed be a killer.

I love the looks of the RR, and that from someone who hates city-tractors.

Last edited:
It is a sport and entertainment package. Originally, a lease was not an option to her because she likes to keep her cars. I'm the one who likes the lease offer on the RR Sport and thought she might enjoy the car. If Landrover had this kind of offer on the big daddy, I would be all over it myself. I remember when Acura had that $799 lease on a new NSX. That was a smoking deal (imho).
As far as she doesn't care about all the bells and whistles, it makes no sense why she wants these options when she doesn't even know how to use them. So, I can't explain that to you.

Sorry, I meant to ask why pay for those in a lease or purchase if she doesn't care about them? She can lease an 09 "base" MDX for $499/month. It's a great car, has everything she wants and she can buy it at the end of the lease if she absolutely loves it and wants to keep it forever.

Again, my mom makes no sense.

Originally she wanted the whole entertainment deal so she could drive her grandsons in the car and keep them entertained. But since she's had the car, not once has my nephews ridden with her :smile:

haha, I hear that all the time. And my mom doesn't make sense either. :smile:

True you can get maybe 15k-17k off of a 2008 GTS but the residual and lease MF will still be junk.

Porsche does have special lease MF offer for the 2009 GTS models and knowing Cali dealers there is one or two that will give you 8% off an 09 GTS in-stock.

The RR is a super nice car but working for a dealer which sells both, the Porsche quality far exceeds the Rover and that counts when you have the car for a couple years but like others have said the Acura lease is the most prudent decision by far.

Wow I need to be in a family that gives cars away. The only thing my family gives to each other are headaches. :eek::wink:

I'd go with the RR personally, if only because you can't throw a rock around Southern California without hitting a Cayenne it seems.

I'm going to close this thread now.

Just got back from test driving an X5 and she's sold on the bimmer.
Thanks for the feedback guys

I'm going to close this thread now.

Just got back from test driving an X5 and she's sold on the bimmer.
Thanks for the feedback guys

Don't close it. If you don't mind, please share her thoughts on the X5 and what it's costing to lease one of those or if she just bought it.

I guess I was unclear in my original post. The Landrover was the only one that was an option to lease. Everything else was going to be a purchase.

Originally, a BMW was not on the radar but after riding in my car, she agreed to try out the X5. After driving it, she admitted that it drove the best out of the bunch. After doing a nationwide search for a new one, it was very difficult to find one with all of the options that she wanted. So, I looked online for any CPO'd 2008 models and found one that is almost exactly what she wanted and called the dealer. After spending 2 minutes haggling on price, the deal was made and she's getting a very late model 2008 X5 (V6) with 4k miles for much less than the MDX.

Recently, my mom has decided to give her sister (who lives in NJ) her current 07 MDX since she wrecked the Pathfinder that my mom gave her 4 years ago. So, my mom asked me to get her a price on a new 09 MDX. I got her a price of $49k OTD for the top of the line model with some add ons like running board, roof rack, cross beam, wood trim steering wheel and shiftknob, cargo tray, and all weather mats (this is how her 07 was spec'd out). The price was $2k under invoice.

Anyway, it got me thinking for that kind of money, she should try out something else. Range Rover is offering a lease on the Sport for $799 a month with 1499 down for 3 years and 10k miles a year. My mom only drives maybe 8k miles a year anyway so the miles don't really matter. The only option on the Sport is the cold weather package but the base model includes many bells and whistles such as bluetooth, navi. The best part for her about the Landrover is that after 3 years, she can just turn it in since I've heard you don't want to own one of these after the warranty expires.

Then, I saw the prices of the 08 GTS and how they've fallen quite a bit. There is no bluetooth on the GTS. She drives very slow so the 400hp might be too much and perhaps she should look at just the S version. But she loves the way the GTS looks versus the S (subtle differences).

Btw, I took her to both dealers and got her a test drive in both vehicles. She likes them all and can't decide.

Can any owners chime in with their experiences with either car?

I've driven both, neither extensively. The interiors are both superb but are different in character. I think the pcar is easier to drive/park etc. My guess is although both are great vehicles, they are pretty different and it will be fairly obvious which one she prefers after a good test drive.

Back