2007 Acura MDX ...

My dad has a 05 and its just a great vehicle. The newer model has changed in design a bit but its basically the same vehicle with the improved electronics. The navi is second to none and accepts voice prompts for almost all of the cars convience features. Best thing to do is go test drive one .

but its basically the same vehicle with the improved electronics..

Hardly...2007 includes the SH-AWD all wheel drive system, which should significantly improve the handling. And the people I know who own the 2007 MDX with the Sports Package are blown away by how well the adaptive suspension minimizes body roll.

My dad has a 05 and its just a great vehicle. The newer model has changed in design a bit but its basically the same vehicle with the improved electronics. The navi is second to none and accepts voice prompts for almost all of the cars convience features. Best thing to do is go test drive one .

I'm glad you like your dad's '05 MDX but I'm going to disagree with you on "basically being the same vehicle".

I did laugh out loud when I read your post though as I work for Honda R&D and was on the '07 MDX development team. Well, maybe we should have done a better job to make the '07 stand out from the previous model. Or, maybe the previous was so well built it is hard to improve on.:eek: :wink: :biggrin:

I do think the '07 MDX is an exceptional vehicle, but that may be like asking a barber if you need a hair cut.

The SH-AWD and the Sport package, which includes electronically controlled dampers, make it a very capable and diverse vehicle to drive.

There are many other features and benefits that make it a great choice but you have to decide if it suits your needs and wants.

I will agree with Acura NsX Pilot in that you should road test one.

Cheers,
Ed

If previous models are any indication of their durability, I think I would go for a Lexus. I have an 2003, and at 50k miles (just out of warranty), I've had the car in 7 times for the steering wheel audio controls, 3 times for the brakes, 2 times for exhaust drone.. not to mention, the brakes suck, you can hear the gas tank sloshing around, and my rear shocks need to be replaced after 50k miles of highway driving.

All of these are common issues with the first generation MDX. Hopefully, they improved it on the second generation. Not sure if it's indicative of declining Acura/Honda reliability/engineering, but one things for sure - my next car will have the letter "J" as the first character in the VIN.

Great car Ian. My friend has one. Very sporty handling. Lots of technogizmos. Even the RDX is a good one. It would be at the top of my list if I wanted an SUV in that price range. That or I would buy a used Cayanne.

I sell Acura for a living. The MDX is probably my favorite car that we sell. I've sold more of them since the 07 redesign than any other salesman that I work with. I'm a huge fan of it. It's very common for wife to drive the MDX and the husband drive a TL, but I've had more than a handful of customers buy 2 of the MDX for each of them.

I did laugh out loud when I read your post though as I work for Honda R&D and was on the '07 MDX development team.

I do think the '07 MDX is an exceptional vehicle, but that may be like asking a barber if you need a hair cut.

Cheers,
Ed

I have just one request.

Please explain that horses a$$ butt F'n ugly front grill.

Rest of the vehicle is outstanding IMO- but that grill looks like a clown nose/ something some tasteless individual would install aftermarket.

I will be interested to see if the aftermarket will provide a cure for this cosmetic ailment.

Otherwise, congratulations on a fantastic job improving on a vehicle I already loved.

Philip

We've had our 07 MDX now for almost two months and love it. It replaced my wifes 02 Explorer so it was a nice step up for her in terms of luxury/refinement. We drove it about 600 miles to Tennessee the day we picked it up and its an excellent highway cruiser. Great ride, good NVH control, and adequate power. The stereo is also really nice. Its a little bit harder to maneuver around town due to rear visibility and it feels a lot wider than it is. If you parallel park much you'd appreciate the backup camera which I don't have.

In terms of competition the only other SUV I seriously considered was the RX330. It lost out due to the overall smaller size of the cargo area, we carry our dogs around back there, and the price. I think if you could find an 07 in dealer stock you should be able to pick it up at invoice without a problem. Mine was actually 'used' with 27 miles on the clock:confused: so I got the extended CPO warranty coverage and paid under invoice for basically a brand new car.

As for the front end styling, its grown on me, much life my 92 Q45 did. I don't know maybe I just like ugly cars:tongue:

I currently have both an '06 & '07 (Sport)+ have owned 4 other MDX's since they came out in '01. They have been trouble-free vehicles. The '07 is a totally different ride than the first gen MDX's...bigger, more powerful, tighter all around + gets better gas mileage. They can be purchased loaded in the low $40's which IMO is a great deal!

Wash_Day.jpg

I have just one request.

Please explain that horses a$$ butt F'n ugly front grill.

Rest of the vehicle is outstanding IMO- but that grill looks like a clown nose/ something some tasteless individual would install aftermarket.

I will be interested to see if the aftermarket will provide a cure for this cosmetic ailment.

Otherwise, congratulations on a fantastic job improving on a vehicle I already loved.

Philip

I actually like it. I had one customer that bought a black Sport-Ent model. He didn't really care for the grille so he had the 2 larger pieces of it painted black to match the rest of the car. I wasn't so sure when he told me he was doing it, but it actually looks really good.

So, in your expert opinion, how well would it tow an NSX? :D

That's actually a legititmate question as I have an '04 MDX and was hoping to tow my NSX. Depending on who you talk to, the towing limit is about 3,500 lbs. which means unless you can find a < 500 lbs trailer, you aren't going to have much luck. Even then you are at the limit of what the engine, transmission and brakes can handle. The end result is that you really can't. The newer models really aren't rated for anything better. Unfortunately, the MDX isn't much of a towing vehicle.

Having said that, I love the MDX. It is the perfect balance of size, function, utility and luxury. Everything on it is done so well and I feel it looks and feels so much better than it's little sister, the Pilot, which I think is an excellent form-function SUV. The only complaint that I have is that the third row seats could have used a little more leg room (there was room to give them that) so that they are more usable. Right now they are only functional for people under 5'. What's worse, is the new model reduced the head room for the third row on top of all of that. :confused: Aside from the towing and third row issues, I can't find much fault in the MDX. It is an excellent SUV.

Info regarding towing from Acura.com here and here.

Tow rating is 5,000 pounds. It's not just a hitch. It's a whole package with a high capacity radiator, twin 160 watt fans, trans cooler, power steering cooler and pre-wired for an electric brake controller.

I have customers that pull 17-18 foot wake boarding boats up to mountain lakes with no problems. They were weary at first, but they were pretty impressed once they started towing.

Info regarding towing from Acura.com here and here.

Tow rating is 5,000 pounds. It's not just a hitch. It's a whole package with a high capacity radiator, twin 160 watt fans, trans cooler, power steering cooler and pre-wired for an electric brake controller.

I have customers that pull 17-18 foot wake boarding boats up to mountain lakes with no problems. They were weary at first, but they were pretty impressed once they started towing.

Oops, sorry. You're right. It looks like the newer models have a 5K towing capability, while the older model only had 3,500 lbs. That should be enough to tow the NSX.

I'd really love to get an '07 for the wife, she and the kids deserve something a bit better and roomier than her '02 RAV4, but I've had my eye out for a good price on a previous gen MDX, which is still an impressive vehicle. Any decent lease deals on these? Probably not, I assume Acura is having no problem moving them.

Back