2005 new or 2005 used???

TURBO2GO said:
Well, the ones you are showing me are 60K and up. I am at 72K for a car that is 2-3 years newer. Has 2-3 years more warranty. I can probably get a better interest rate because it is newer. None are as low a milage. I much prefer to have a car that has had 3700 miles on it than one that has had 2 previous owners and 23,000 miles.

This NSX phenomena continues to baffle me. There is such little depreciation on this car that I keep saying why not get the newer one. Its one reason I am looking at brand new ones. Losing 10K value in 3 years is nothing... and some don't even lose that. Its only because this car is a slow seller that you can get a new one now for 13K off list price.

Lets put this in perspective. If this was any other exotic or semi-exotic, and you told anybody... "you can have a 2002 with 23,000 miles or a 2005 with 3000 miles for 10K more", they wouldn't think a SECOND about it.

To me these price differences are absolutely negligible.

The other truly incredible thing about this car is the fact that it is such a well kept secret... that helps it stay rare and hold its value. So many people tell me "NSX?" ... "whats that?"... I show them a picture and they all say "I have never seen that before. Thats an Acura?".

This car is VERY unique guys. I hope all you owners know this. Intellichoice has rated this car #1 in sports coupes for lowest cost of ownership for like 5 years now. Still, no one knows what it is. And you cannot get any other car that is as rare, unique, fast and fun and have it cost you so little to own.

I usually take a long time to research and find the "right" used car. I hardly looked with this one. What makes this car "right" is what the car is, not that I happened to negotiate some crazy bargain on one (which I normally do). Its just rock solid. And I am very comfortable dropping 70-80K on one because you just cannot go wrong with it.

I think I will finance it through an equity loan, thanks for the advice redshift. I don't have a mortgage so this will be easy.

The tough part is just deciding between these two cars.

Based on the fact that you dont feel like 10 to 15K difference in price or depreciation is that big of a deal...just pick the color you like and buy it.

TURBO2GO said:
Do you really think that a 2005 NSX with maybe 12K miles will only be worth 50K in two years? I think it will hold a bit better than that. Especially because I won't be putting that many miles on it....

Ok, if you can really manage to put only 12k miles then it would probably be 15k depreciation instead of 20k... :cool:

But then again, dollar for pleasure, you are better off driving as much as you want and sell it for the right price afterward. For 25% more depreciation you can enjoy it twice as much!!! :D :D :D

And once you start driving it I am sure you will want more... ;)

i would definatly get a used one, 3000 miles really doesnt make any diffrence on a car that can live up to 150k+ miles, and you will save some money

I bought the used silver one guys. That leaves a great deal on a new one at Tischer Acura. You cannot beat 76K for a brand new car. 14K off sticker is pretty awesome. After a lot of thought I decided I just prefer to have the color combo I like, and black is a bitch to keep from getting scratched, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. Now the question is do I do a CTSC or not. I will drive the car for a bit and see if I feel it needs it. Being that I was spoiled by the torque in my 600 and the test drives in Maserati Gransports. I am happy to officialy be a member of the forum. :smile:

Congrats.....you are going to have a great time with it. I know it is not the fastest car on the road, but it really is well balanced. I have had faster more powerful cars but, after having the NSX for almost a month I am not sure I miss the brute force. Just get the motor up to VTec territory and it goes.....Good luck and have fun......Steve

Negotiate the price down on lower mileage model.....:biggrin:

picture is in my avatar! Its going to be shipped early next week to me. I can't wait!

You may laugh at me, and I know some advised me against moving this fast, but I already ordered the Downforce AIS, Comptech filter, Comptech supercharger, the LED lights... I'm about to get the GTrom front lip, and possibly an exhaust.... and I have not even seen the car in person yet. :biggrin:

I just managed to get in on the group but of the CTSC and couldn't pass up the deal. I was the last one to get in. So if I decide against it I figure someone on the forum will want it since prices are going up.

The only other mod I want is to get rid of the side marker lights... I hate them. And the stereo may need some help... I may stop here. Or so thats what I think now... :eek:

I love this forum... man I can't believe how many knowledgable NSX enthusiasts are on here. I wouldn't have done any of this stuff without the help of forum members.

TURBO2GO said:
picture is in my avatar! Its going to be shipped early next week to me. I can't wait!

You may laugh at me, and I know some advised me against moving this fast, but I already ordered the Downforce AIS, Comptech filter, Comptech supercharger, the LED lights... I'm about to get the GTrom front lip, and possibly an exhaust.... and I have not even seen the car in person yet. :biggrin:

I just managed to get in on the group but of the CTSC and couldn't pass up the deal. I was the last one to get in. So if I decide against it I figure someone on the forum will want it since prices are going up.

The only other mod I want is to get rid of the side marker lights... I hate them. And the stereo may need some help... I may stop here. Or so thats what I think now... :eek:

I love this forum... man I can't believe how many knowledgable NSX enthusiasts are on here. I wouldn't have done any of this stuff without the help of forum members.

Thank God there is someone out there who makes my mania look tame. You are my hero. I now can use your situation to convince my wife I have not spent near enough money on my car. Since all I want is the CTSC, Exhaust, Tune, and Bilsteins on lower perch. This will seem appropriate to her, when I explain how much more crazy I could get. So in a sense, I can tell her that this is saving us money....Thanks......Steve

PS Enjoy the car, it should be a great blast to drive when you are done. Since it is really a great car right out of the box.

Hold on, I'm picking myself up off the floor. Whew.

Did you really buy all those parts for a car you've never even driven? I think you made a fantastic purchase that you will LOVE forever, and you will find yourself driving it way more than you had ever anticipated prior to ownership. You will absolutely LOVE this car. I know I planned on driving it very little, but it's so cheap to own and operate I drive it almost every day!

Unfortunately I have to say you can forget about your resale questions that you began the thread with. Making those mods to a 2005 is almost unheard of. I've never heard of anyone with that new of an NSX making that drastic a change. Your resale value will not be the same as a stock car, so forget everything we talked about so far in this thread.

Buying all those parts for something you've never even touched isn't courageous, it's downright obsessive/compulsive! Just try driving it for a little while in its stock refined form prior to making the changes, and you may just sell off the stuff.

One of the things I love about my NSX is the fact that it's NOT a brute force car like a Vette or Viper, which all of us could have purchased. It's a graceful car with graceful lines and an amazing ability to turn and maintain it's poise.

Man, I'm so excited for you! I wish I could see your face when it arrives!

By the way, did you order your car from Texas? There's an auto group out there that uses that airline hangar in every ad they placed. I was shopping for Porsche's before purchasing the NSX and I think I looked at the very place you are shopping online. Just curious.

Let us know what you decide to do, but I have some medicine for OCD that you may need! Drop me a line and I'll send you some! :)

Brian

Oh, and I think you made the perfect decision on color. Get the one you want, no matter new or used. Good choice. I needed red, and never would have been happy with a black car.

blavenia said:
Hold on, I'm picking myself up off the floor. Whew.

Did you really buy all those parts for a car you've never even driven? I think you made a fantastic purchase that you will LOVE forever, and you will find yourself driving it way more than you had ever anticipated prior to ownership. You will absolutely LOVE this car. I know I planned on driving it very little, but it's so cheap to own and operate I drive it almost every day!

Unfortunately I have to say you can forget about your resale questions that you began the thread with. Making those mods to a 2005 is almost unheard of. I've never heard of anyone with that new of an NSX making that drastic a change. Your resale value will not be the same as a stock car, so forget everything we talked about so far in this thread.

Buying all those parts for something you've never even touched isn't courageous, it's downright obsessive/compulsive! Just try driving it for a little while in its stock refined form prior to making the changes, and you may just sell off the stuff.

One of the things I love about my NSX is the fact that it's NOT a brute force car like a Vette or Viper, which all of us could have purchased. It's a graceful car with graceful lines and an amazing ability to turn and maintain it's poise.

Man, I'm so excited for you! I wish I could see your face when it arrives!

By the way, did you order your car from Texas? There's an auto group out there that uses that airline hangar in every ad they placed. I was shopping for Porsche's before purchasing the NSX and I think I looked at the very place you are shopping online. Just curious.

Let us know what you decide to do, but I have some medicine for OCD that you may need! Drop me a line and I'll send you some! :)

Brian

hehe yeah this is kind of nuts... my NSX experience was of a 1995 for about 2 minutes like 6 years ago. And I bought a car sight unseen from another state and already ordered all this stuff for it.

yes, its the one from Texas. I had been looking around for a while and this one seemed like the right one. I am sure I am going to love the car. I drove a Maserati GS and realized how much I missed having a real sports car over a luxury missile like my CL. I missed the feel.

Once my deal fell through at Maserati, I decided to get something that won't drop value like a rock... I realize my mods may hurt the value a little... and I am still not sure I will do it, I may just sell the CTSC to some guy that missed the group buy. But I do keep my cars mint. This car for the most part will be babied, won't be tracked, won't have high miles, I am even hesitant on the 2 dyno runs. It will just be kept in flawless condition and will have the right mods already on it for a real enthusiast.

I know some will look at that negatively, but I want the next owner to get a great car. I like having the extra power but I am not a crazy driver. I live in Boston for God's sake. The longest straightaway is like 300 yards. If I really get the itch to go back to the track (which I did for years), I will buy some POS mustang and make a crazy track car out of it for like a $3000 investment. hehe

That's awesome man! All the best to you. You just sounded crazy to me with all those mods and never driving the car! My brother lives in AZ and got his Maserati Quattroporte last year. He LOVES his Mas, but I thought it was a little boring. I'm more of a 2 door guy, as you seem to be as well.

You will love this car, I'm sure. I thought that was the hangar from Texas. I looked at quite a few of their 911 auctions before jumping the proverbial Porsche ship and landing on the NSX bandwagon. I'll tell you, I never looked back. This is one of the best cars ever made, period.

Just thinking about it I get warm and fuzzy about how much you are going to love your car. I'm really excited for you. I remember how I felt the day I found mine after looking for a year and finding an original 1 owner car 1,500 miles away. I flew there, picked it up, and drove her all the way home.

All the best to you, and DRIVE that thing! It's like heaven.

Brian

Congrad on your purchase, I have the same color combo, and trust me, after little over 2 years and just over 50K miles:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: It is still going strong.

I started thinking only 7k to 8k a year, but after 2 month, it became my daily driver and never look back.

As for your mods, you will get 50-75% of the price you pay for them, but you loose labor to install them, member here on prime buys used NSX parts like no nothing, so go ahead and mod the sh!@t out of it. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE

TURBO2GO said:
hehe yeah this is kind of nuts... my NSX experience was of a 1995 for about 2 minutes like 6 years ago. And I bought a car sight unseen from another state and already ordered all this stuff for it.

yes, its the one from Texas. I had been looking around for a while and this one seemed like the right one. I am sure I am going to love the car. I drove a Maserati GS and realized how much I missed having a real sports car over a luxury missile like my CL. I missed the feel.

Once my deal fell through at Maserati, I decided to get something that won't drop value like a rock... I realize my mods may hurt the value a little... and I am still not sure I will do it, I may just sell the CTSC to some guy that missed the group buy. But I do keep my cars mint. This car for the most part will be babied, won't be tracked, won't have high miles, I am even hesitant on the 2 dyno runs. It will just be kept in flawless condition and will have the right mods already on it for a real enthusiast.

I know some will look at that negatively, but I want the next owner to get a great car. I like having the extra power but I am not a crazy driver. I live in Boston for God's sake. The longest straightaway is like 300 yards. If I really get the itch to go back to the track (which I did for years), I will buy some POS mustang and make a crazy track car out of it for like a $3000 investment. hehe

blavenia said:
Just thinking about it I get warm and fuzzy about how much you are going to love your car. I'm really excited for you. I remember how I felt the day I found mine after looking for a year and finding an original 1 owner car 1,500 miles away. I flew there, picked it up, and drove her all the way home.

All the best to you, and DRIVE that thing! It's like heaven.

Brian

Thanks a lot Brian... I am really excited. Being on this forum is driving me crazy because all this talk and I have no car... I really can't wait! 2 more weeks...

awsomr1 said:
Congrad on your purchase, I have the same color combo, and trust me, after little over 2 years and just over 50K miles:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: It is still going strong.

I started thinking only 7k to 8k a year, but after 2 month, it became my daily driver and never look back.

As for your mods, you will get 50-75% of the price you pay for them, but you loose labor to install them, member here on prime buys used NSX parts like no nothing, so go ahead and mod the sh!@t out of it. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE

Thanks. I guess one question is, would you take the mods off the car? I don't see myself pulling a CTSC back off the car to sell it. Maybe an intake but if I do major mods, I think they should stay on. Right?

Man I know I am going to start driving this thing all over town... I see speeding tickets and police officers already....

TURBO2GO said:
Thanks. I guess one question is, would you take the mods off the car? I don't see myself pulling a CTSC back off the car to sell it. Maybe an intake but if I do major mods, I think they should stay on. Right?

Man I know I am going to start driving this thing all over town... I see speeding tickets and police officers already....

There were a few members here took their S/C off and sell it, one even ask for cash plus trade for the stock items that came off when he install the S/C and they all sold. So no worries there.

The first thing I would do is exhaust, wheels, suspension, sways bars. If after these you still think you need more power, than the S/C. NSX is much faster than people give them credit for. You will be suprised. Plus you would want to go twisties all the time instead of drag racing anyways. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

After 2 years and 50K on the NSX, I only had one ticket (knock on wood). So, do not worry.

P.S. A Laser/Radar Detector/blinder helps ALOT.:biggrin:

Back