2005 new or 2005 used???

Guys I really need some advice on this from someone that knows.

I need to make this decision as soon as possible. I have two cars I can buy:

2005 NSX, 300 miles, never titled $76,000. (black/black)

OR

2005 NSX, 3800 miles, one owner, $72000. (silver/silver)

The second car is one I like the color of more. But its used. I am looking at a 4K difference. Slightly higher interest rate on the loan as its used.

What would you do? I need to make this decision fast! thanks for any input.

TURBO2GO said:

OR

The second car is one I like the color of more. But its used. I am looking at a 4K difference. Slightly higher interest rate on the loan as its used.

Buy the Silver...3800 miles is nothing + you still have the balance of the
factory warranty. Do you know the "in service" date? If the car is a year old
then you'll only have 3 yrs left, which on these cars really means nothing either ....but still something to consider. If it were me and I liked the silver that's what I'd get & save $4K.

i think that you should consider the used one since the color is more to your liking.... you don't want to kick yourself later when an nsx of the 'more likeable' color pulls up and you realize you wish your car was a different color :biggrin:

also 3800 miles is almost negligible assuming it wasn't a stunt car for the fast and the furious :biggrin:

In-service date was July 2005 on the used one. So essentially I have 9 months less warranty.

I am probably not going to keep the car more than 2 years, and do think of resale. One will be a one-owner car, one will be a two-owner car (with 9 fewer months of warranty). I'll most likely only put 5000 miles a year on either car.

I find the silver/silver to be a more exciting and unique color combo. Because black/black has been around since 91 and silver/silver since 2002. More rare. Better looking IMHO.

In two years when I sell the car, will the one with 3500 less miles, 9 months more warranty, and one less owner bring in an extra $4K? Thats the real question. I am not sure what the answer is in NSX world. I have been looking at Maseratis and Astons and know that 3500 miles is considered *A LOT* and would affect the price significantly.

TURBO2GO said:
In-service date was July 2005 on the used one. So essentially I have 9 months less warranty.

I am probably not going to keep the car more than 2 years, and do think of resale. One will be a one-owner car, one will be a two-owner car (with 9 fewer months of warranty). I'll most likely only put 5000 miles a year on either car.

I find the silver/silver to be a more exciting and unique color combo. Because black/black has been around since 91 and silver/silver since 2002. More rare. Better looking IMHO.

In two years when I sell the car, will the one with 3500 less miles, 9 months more warranty, and one less owner bring in an extra $4K? Thats the real question. I am not sure what the answer is in NSX world. I have been looking at Maseratis and Astons and know that 3500 miles is considered *A LOT* and would affect the price significantly.

In my opinion no! Most likely it will become a "factory certified" car and have lots of warranty down the road to the next potential buyer anyway. As far as the miles go, your car will have less than 20K and will still be considered low miles for an NSX. Maseratis and Astons have to have low miles because people are scared of potential problems with higher mileage. The NSX is a Honda and doesn't suffer that malady.

For the next two years, drive the one you like. Resale can't be that much different since you should have service records from the start for both cars. Drive it, be happy and see how it goes. I don't think a couple of years from now the price will be much different for either car except for which is the more desirable color. I would not have even bought mine if the color was not what I wanted.....Steve

hmmmm.... good points guys. When I asked my aston dealer how many miles I could put on the car without killing its resale he looked at me with a straight face and said "2000". Thats why I am thinking this 3500 miles extra is a big deal but I guess not. I am just used to the real exotic car world.. where 10K is a "high milage" car. I forget this is a Honda.

TURBO2GO said:
hmmmm.... good points guys. When I asked my aston dealer how many miles I could put on the car without killing its resale he looked at me with a straight face and said "2000". Thats why I am thinking this 3500 miles extra is a big deal but I guess not. I am just used to the real exotic car world.. where 10K is a "high milage" car. I forget this is a Honda.

If you are really going to keep it a couple of years and move on, I would say you are better off getting one that is a little more depreciated. I think that the 05s have a bit of a drop left on them. Compared to those cars that are a little older and selling in the 50s. Not that I am an expert by any means, it just looks that way to me based on what I see here and autotrader. I never keep a car more than a year or so. So I am always willing to pay the price, but this car may end up being my first keeper in a long time.....Steve

92NSX said:
I would get the silver also.
Kinda sounds like you are more interested in selling it later than having it now though.:confused:

I can't get into details, but its a business related issue that sort of forces me to change cars once every year or so. I am certainly not one that is rather wealthy and doesn't care what he drives. I consider myself a true car enthusiast. I am not buying the car just to sell it. I really will enjoy either NSX.

My Mercedes CL600 lost about 15-20K of its value in one year... and I bought it used! so you can see why I am a bit apprehensive...

If it really does not make much difference with the milage and an additional owner on an NSX, then yes, I would go for the used silver one. You guys have been a big help. I love this forum.

TURBO2GO said:

rates are the same, it goes by the year not title (i.e new/used):wink:

No more certified interest rates:frown:

That would be a hard one for me. I think I would rather have a car that nobody owned but me. Plus, I am not crazy about the silver interior. BUT, if you like it better, go for it.

TURBO2GO said:

OR

what does a silver interior look like? or was that an error? Just curious

he did say that the interest rate is higher on the used. when you're talking percents of 70something thou, that's a lot of money. see how much more/less the silver one really is in the end. if that particular color combo is worth however much more/less it is to you then get it.

personally, i'd take the black/black. nothing like a brand new car.... brand new is priceless compared to used (if it can be afforded, and in this case, it doesn't seem to be a problem).

and it's not like the black/black is some oddball color (if it were a blue interior, i'd tell you to get the silver one in a second, heh) if you buy a blue interior you probably have some weird fantasies about smurfs.

TURBO2GO said:

OR

That is a tough decision. I think either route you go you'll be pretty close to in terms of resale. If the interest rate shouldn't make a big difference if you're only keeping it for 2 years - unless they're dramatically different (2% or more :eek:). If you're talking the difference between 5% and 7% then you'll be spending $2500 more paying interest on the used car over the course of 2 years... that "equalizes" the buying prices to only $1,500 between the two cars. I have no idea what the interest rate will be on car financing - if you own a home (with 70K+ in equity) you should consider a home equity line of credit. The interest is tax deductible (in most cases) and you should get the same rate with either car you choose.

When you sell the car you'll have a buyer willing to pay a premium for a one owner car, but 3500 miles won't mean anything if you're going to daily drive it. You might get another $2000-$4000 out of the single owner car, but you also paid $4000 more for it (minus the better interest rate - so maybe you only paid $1500 more for it). So in the end you're only looking at a couple thousand dollars possible difference in resale over the course of 2 years.

In the end, I'd just get what you like because the difference in resale is negligible.

chumch said:

Well, the ones you are showing me are 60K and up. I am at 72K for a car that is 2-3 years newer. Has 2-3 years more warranty. I can probably get a better interest rate because it is newer. None are as low a milage. I much prefer to have a car that has had 3700 miles on it than one that has had 2 previous owners and 23,000 miles.

This NSX phenomena continues to baffle me. There is such little depreciation on this car that I keep saying why not get the newer one. Its one reason I am looking at brand new ones. Losing 10K value in 3 years is nothing... and some don't even lose that. Its only because this car is a slow seller that you can get a new one now for 13K off list price.

Lets put this in perspective. If this was any other exotic or semi-exotic, and you told anybody... "you can have a 2002 with 23,000 miles or a 2005 with 3000 miles for 10K more", they wouldn't think a SECOND about it.

To me these price differences are absolutely negligible.

The other truly incredible thing about this car is the fact that it is such a well kept secret... that helps it stay rare and hold its value. So many people tell me "NSX?" ... "whats that?"... I show them a picture and they all say "I have never seen that before. Thats an Acura?".

This car is VERY unique guys. I hope all you owners know this. Intellichoice has rated this car #1 in sports coupes for lowest cost of ownership for like 5 years now. Still, no one knows what it is. And you cannot get any other car that is as rare, unique, fast and fun and have it cost you so little to own.

I usually take a long time to research and find the "right" used car. I hardly looked with this one. What makes this car "right" is what the car is, not that I happened to negotiate some crazy bargain on one (which I normally do). Its just rock solid. And I am very comfortable dropping 70-80K on one because you just cannot go wrong with it.

I think I will finance it through an equity loan, thanks for the advice redshift. I don't have a mortgage so this will be easy.

The tough part is just deciding between these two cars.

Synthesis said:
he did say that the interest rate is higher on the used. when you're talking percents of 70something thou, that's a lot of money. see how much more/less the silver one really is in the end. if that particular color combo is worth however much more/less it is to you then get it.

personally, i'd take the black/black. nothing like a brand new car.... brand new is priceless compared to used (if it can be afforded, and in this case, it doesn't seem to be a problem).

and it's not like the black/black is some oddball color (if it were a blue interior, i'd tell you to get the silver one in a second, heh) if you buy a blue interior you probably have some weird fantasies about smurfs.

When I said rate was higher, I was guessing. The Kid may be right, if its based on year then it makes no difference. If I do a home equity there is zero difference. Just making the decision that much harder. :confused:

clr1024 said:
what does a silver interior look like? or was that an error? Just curious

Its very cool. Its a color on the leather that I have not seen before. Since the center console is also silver, there is a theme that carries very well inside. To me its just very cool. You can see it at acura.com just go build an NSX.

I think you should go for the silver one, always go with the one you like so you don't have any regrets in the future!!!!

Black is a bitch to keep clean & shows every swirl mark & speck of dust. If you are a clean freak, don't get black. Silver hides dirt very well & looks good. If you're only going to keep it a couple of years, the shorter warranty shouldn't matter since you will still be under it with either car. Since you like silver (& the silver interior is really cool & unique), get the silver.

If you are still bitter about your MB CL600 hit... be ready because in two years you should expect a 20k depreciation anyway starting from a new (or almost new) 72-76k car.

You should really go for a low mileage 2002-2003 NSX to minimize this effect.

Going back to your choices: personally I would go for the first one, the price difference between new/used is really too little for me to accept. But if depreciation is the main key (as it looks here) then you are better off with the used one.

gheba_nsx said:
If you are still bitter about your MB CL600 hit... be ready because in two years you should expect a 20k depreciation anyway starting from a new (or almost new) 72-76k car.

That's still better because I had that with my CL600 in one year, not two. I didn't lose that much because I bought it well, but thats how much the market price dropped.

Do you really think that a 2005 NSX with maybe 12K miles will only be worth 50K in two years? I think it will hold a bit better than that. Especially because I won't be putting that many miles on it....

But then I may throw all this logic out the window, throw a CTSC on it, a nice stereo/nav system, better wheels/brakes/suspension, and drive the crap out of it everyday and then sell it for whatever it sells for... :smile:

Back