2004 NSX on the DYNO

azndng said:

120hp/l is the highest so far. but i dont' think the 2nd gen nsx would have it that high. for sure 100+hp/l. Remember, its not hp/l, its power/weight.

But high hp/l ratio can mean that a smaller/lighter engine will produce same/higher HP then say a bigger engine with lower hp/l engine. That in terms translate to lighter overall weight and contributes to better power/weight ratio.

Zuerst said:
But high hp/l ratio can mean that a smaller/lighter engine will produce same/higher HP then say a bigger engine with lower hp/l engine. That in terms translate to lighter overall weight and contributes to better power/weight ratio.

like u said. "high hp/l ratio CAN mean a smaller engine." there are somethings that a small displaced engine can't do. which is create good tq numbers. that's what engineers were focused on with the 2.2L s2k.

besides all that, i'm not saying honda isn't capable of making a 120+hp/l engine for the nsx... but, i think they [honda] shouldn't be so concerned with having a small engine with high hp numbers because in reality, using a v6 to contend with 400+ 500+ hp club [aka hp race ex: new vette 500hp, euro battle amg vs rs6, new m5 rumored v10] is going to be a hard ass feat without FI.

It's not all about peak horsepower, which is what everyone is referencing. It is how much power under the curve. S2000 generate 240 horses at 8300 but maybe generating 150 horses at 5000 rpms. Where as NSX generates 249 horses (Rear wheel) at 7100 rpm and 200 horses at 5000 rpm. When you accelerate, you use the entire band, the engine doesn't just stay at the peak horsepower point. So it the area under the curve that matter, or the sum of all the horsepower spread across the powerband (0-8000 rpms).

That is my point, these new Honda motors do have flatter power
curves and are less "peaky". I think 3.5 litre as a DOHC, iVTEC, NA
V6 in a slighly lighter car would make a huge difference and would be the perfect compromise of cost, performance, and durability.

JimK said:
That is my point, these new Honda motors do have flatter power
curves and are less "peaky". I think 3.5 litre as a DOHC, iVTEC, NA
V6 in a slighly lighter car would make a huge difference and would be the perfect compromise of cost, performance, and durability.

I dont understand why there wasn't a 3.2 or 3.5 L DOHC i-VTEC engine in the 2002 NSX. That would have been a BIG selling point and get a lot more attention.

NetViper said:
I dont understand why there wasn't a 3.2 or 3.5 L DOHC i-VTEC engine in the 2002 NSX. That would have been a BIG selling point and get a lot more attention.

Because the torque curve of the 3.2L engine is really flat as hell already. Honda wisely knew there would be no tangible gains from i-VTEC ing the NSX, or any of its other V6 cars, so they aren't about to do so.

i-VTEC is designed to mask the poor torque curves that go along with variable valve timing in smaller displacement engines. Once you get to say 3.0L and above the returns diminish dramatically.

If we really want to talk about what Honda "should" do, then they should do what everyone over at F-chat wants Ferrari to do after seeing that laughably fake Motor Trend piece on a future "Dino" this month: Bring out a cheaper, lighter, more go-kart like NSX.

It doesn't have to be liliputian like the Elise, but something in between the current NSX and the Elise in terms of size/weight would be desireable to many track hounds here. Something that weighs say 2,800lbs, meaning a bit lighter than an S2000, with a nice 3.5L 350HP engine, and have it cost around $45 - 55k.

Make it from non exotic materials to keep the price down, no semi-auto tranny or anything like that, just a true MR hardtop with size dimensions near the HSC's (which is identical to the 10th of an inch in ALL dimensions to a F355 btw, little HSC trivia for ya there boys).

The Elise is going to sell 4,000 units this year if they can deliver them, and I got the oppurtunity to drive one of the S2 demo cars last week and it is absolute sex on wheels. Everything you've heard is true, I got back into my NSX for the drive home and it felt like a motor home, lol.

For me the Elise is too rough and dangerous frankly to daily drive, I'd have it as a track-only car. But I could totally see myself driving one that offered 90% of the Elise's thrills but with some size and protection. Maybe even a little comfort. The HSC could be that if they do it right, and lower the price.

There are lots of things that affect dyno results you cant just go by one dyno sheet and thinks that the perfect dyno...

one day i can dyno 255 and another 265 there are lots of factors contributing to results...

Back