• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

2004 Imola Orange 6 spd for sale...JH4NA21604T000133

Just wondering if the NSX is still available. I'm not finding any Orange/Orange and may check into reupolstering yours. Thanks
George

Just wondering if the NSX is still available. I'm not finding any Orange/Orange and may check into reupolstering yours. Thanks
George
YES, still available but with slightly higher asking price ;)

LMAO. The market dictated a max price of $210k for the car and the seller still thinks they can get $240k for the car. The moment someone google's the VIN, the BAT listing will show and you'd be crazy to pay more than $210k. Can't stand greedy dealers.

The dealer thinks the car is worth more than the bidders did that day. Nothing wrong with that. The dealer must not be in a hurry. No one is being harmed.

The market price is the price that both buyer and seller agree on. For that car on that day, $210k was less than the market price.

An orange one sold for $245k on BaT a couple years ago. Maybe the dealer will wait for that number, or maybe he wants even more. His decision.

I guess I’m “greedy” too. I always try to buy things for the lowest price, and sell them for the highest price. Don’t we all?

The dealer thinks the car is worth more than the bidders did that day. Nothing wrong with that. The dealer must not be in a hurry. No one is being harmed.

The market price is the price that both buyer and seller agree on. For that car on that day, $210k was less than the market price.

An orange one sold for $245k on BaT a couple years ago. Maybe the dealer will wait for that number, or maybe he wants even more. His decision.

I guess I’m “greedy” too. I always try to buy things for the lowest price, and sell them for the highest price. Don’t we all?

Fair enough on the 'greedy' statement, but 2 years ago was the trailing end of the crazy pandemic car buying phase. Prices are starting to come back to reality. Sure he/she can wait for the right buyer, but the gap between BAT and the asking is pretty damn large. That's the risk with listing with BAT. A failed auction price is going to be index'd on Google for all new potential buyers to see.

I think as new cars continue to go up, great vintage cars, while they may go up and down a bit, will mostly continue to go up.

I know one of the bidders on that car, and quite honestly, I thought he’d keep bidding until he won. He has the money, and only wants a very low mile car.

Who knows, maybe he’s doing a deal on the car as we speak.

LMAO. The market dictated a max price of $210k for the car and the seller still thinks they can get $240k for the car. The moment someone google's the VIN, the BAT listing will show and you'd be crazy to pay more than $210k. Can't stand greedy dealers.

Bring a Trailer auction results do not represent market price. They only represent the "market price" within the context of Bring a Trailer itself. The reason why is that there are many types of buyers who never buy their cars using auction sites. Thus only a subset of the true potential buyers are participating in the auction.

Another issue with BAT values that you're ignoring is the high fees charged to the buyer. A $200K+ car like this one will have $7500 in fees. And even worse the buyer (generally) is not at able view the car in person prior to bidding. If you win the bid, go to see the car in person and discover the seller misrepresented the car and thus elect not to buy it, BAT will still charge you the $7500 regardless! Because of this many buyers will bid lower than they would have otherwise.

I would probably bid $15K less than market for this car on BAT in order to compensate for the $7500 fee plus added risk. If we take the $210K + $15K we're up to $225K which is only $15K shy of the the $240K asking. Now imagine the seller being willing to negotiate down in value slightly and you can see the $240K asking price is not nearly as unreasonable as it initially appeared.

Finally I don't believe we can super accurately know what market price is for a rare car like this based on only one or two auction results. There are so few 2002-2005 Imola Oranges with super low miles that come up for sale that it's totally believable there's a buyer out there who might willing pay up for one of these today rather than waiting a long time for the next one to become available at a lower price (an event which may never happen).

Bring a Trailer auction results do not represent market price. They only represent the "market price" within the context of Bring a Trailer itself. The reason why is that there are many types of buyers who never buy their cars using auction sites. Thus only a subset of the true potential buyers are participating in the auction.

Another issue with BAT values that you're ignoring is the high fees charged to the buyer. A $200K+ car like this one will have $7500 in fees. And even worse the buyer (generally) is not at able view the car in person prior to bidding. If you win the bid, go to see the car in person and discover the seller misrepresented the car and thus elect not to buy it, BAT will still charge you the $7500 regardless! Because of this many buyers will bid lower than they would have otherwise.

I would probably bid $15K less than market for this car on BAT in order to compensate for the $7500 fee plus added risk. If we take the $210K + $15K we're up to $225K which is only $15K shy of the the $240K asking. Now imagine the seller being willing to negotiate down in value slightly and you can see the $240K asking price is not nearly as unreasonable as it initially appeared.

Finally I don't believe we can super accurately know what market price is for a rare car like this based on only one or two auction results. There are so few 2002-2005 Imola Oranges with super low miles that come up for sale that it's totally believable there's a buyer out there who might willing pay up for one of these today rather than waiting a long time for the next one to become available at a lower price (an event which may never happen).
While BAT doesn't represent the entire market, this car is a pretty niche car and that attracts a certain niche buyer. I'm sure there's a decent overlap of those buyers that also browse BAT given its reputation for having these kinds of cars. So it's not a big stretch to say a BAT auction represents what the market would do for these kinds of cars.

Why would a $7500 max fee result in bidding $15k less instead of $7500 less? Sounds like you're exaggerating a bit there to get close to the $30k gap. lmao. Why not just go all the way and say, "I would probably bid $30k less than market to compensate for the $7500 fee plus added risk!"

No one said there's no buyer out there that's going to pay for it. There's always someone that's crazy.

I get it, NSX owners want max values for their cars, but this dealer flipping bullshit needs to end.

When dealers have the opportunity to acquire a car for less than what they think the value is, why wouldn’t they buy it (or take it in trade), clean it up, and wait for the right buyer? Whether a dealer or an individual, “flipping” is just plain old American free market capitalism.

Regarding BaT’s “high fees,” they are actually VERY low for auctions. Mecum etc. usually take 18% of what the buyer pays, leaving only 82% for the seller. And the low BaT 5% fee is limited to $7500 max.

(Here’s the math on a normal auction. Let’s say the buyer has a $220k budget for a certain car. He can bid bid $200k max, since he will also pay the auction house an additional 10% buyers fee, in this case $20k. The seller pays a 10% sellers fee, so receives only $180k. The auction house gets $40k- that’s over 18% of the $220 selling price.)

Back