2003 viper and supercharged na2 nsx fun

hadnt taken out my 2003 snake in a good two weeks or so..Thought what the Hell and decided to take her out to a gym by were I work..

I pull up and low and behold in the parking lot I see a red nsx that belongs to a co worker of mine. Now being that I have a nsx and it was supercharged till about 3 months ago. it is a no brainer to me that my 476 rwhp 3390 pound snake will eat alive my 2995 pound nsx when it was superchared at 330 rwhp or how it sits now stock..

But the owner of the red nsx seems to think that the fact that my nsx is the 1991 3.0 version at 270 HP and his is the 1997 3.2 version at 290 HP that somehow his nsx is vastly superior to mine in raw speed..I think he's at 360 rwhp if i remember correctly.

(actually a stock 91 will run 13.8 at 103 and a stock 97 will run 13.4 at 107) both with decent drivers..

How that seems to make such a huge differance is beyond me in comparison to a viper..

So anyway I decide to go park right next to him and as I pull in I notice he has his car running and about 6 other of our co workers all with him chatting about his car..

As soon as I get out of the car the shit talking insues..People start saying he could take me ect. I then explain that I have a nsx as well and I dont think so..

He then says that I would win but it would be pretty close

I said,...Sorry man it wont be close at all and did the hand gesture of my right hand running away from my left hand..All our co workers ohh and ahhh and we laugh...So after another 5 minutes of shit talking I finally get him to give in to a race but he didnt want to line up directly beside me so we agreed for him to tailgate me and on the third honk we both take off and if he can pass me to go ahead and do so...

Well we started at 30 mph and hit it on the 3 beep. I started in second gear (even though my first gear does 62 mph)..

beep beep beep...

50 mph Im a car ahead
70 mph im two cars ahead
100 mph im 4 cars ahead
120 mph I let off and he is 5 cars behind me..

I pull over to the side and he pulls over with this big shi$ eating grin on his face and says damn that thing is fast. i figuered he would make excuses ect. but he took it like a man...

And the point to this story was? I mean it was obvious your Viper was going to win. You would have been better off just letting him think that he could be you and not waste time.

It would have been different if you two had similar power to weight ratio and the driver was the actual factor of the victory, thus giving you legitimate reason to boast about it.

+1, so the moral is if someone is talking shit and u know ur faster you should dust him/her as bad as possible? I guess congrats on your huge victory :/

Also he could have had more under there. Just cause u had a supercharged and ran 5 lbs doesnt mean he was + 20 hp diff from engine. Theres plenty of nsx's with 400ish hp that would seriously give a viper a run. If anything this would have ended after he said he smoke you. Should have just said he probably would have

Last edited:
Yeah screw the nsx's!!! Am I doing it right?

edit: yeah a 400whp nsx should give you a really close race.

Last edited:
Well Im at 476/512 SAE on a dyno jet and 3390 pounds..

The 97 with the supercharger is 3150 plus lets just say 50 pounds for the supercharger tubeing ect ( my BBSC was 75 pounds i belieave)..

So at 3200 pounds plus his agressive 4.07 rear end gearing vs my weak sauce 3.07's in the viper...I think 435 rwhp might get him in the ball park and give me a good run..

he has the CTSC so im not sure if that power level is achieavable???

But 400 rwhp...no way..he's gonna get walked..

A 91 at 3000 pounds plus the 50 pound supercharger and 400 rwhp MIGHT be able to hand for a little bit..But I still think even the light weight 91 would need 420 rwhp to hang..

My Viper at 476 rwhp has touched 123 mph with my timing gear. My nsx when supercharged at 330 rwhp touched 113 mph at the same location with the same timing gear..

so your talking about a 10 mph spread...yea..Im thinking another 100-110 rwhp to get to the same 123 mph 1/4 mile trap capabilities

400whp is achievable with a CTSC if its the autorotor design running the hi boost and a aftercooler. I'm not saying the NSX would beat you but I say a 400whp NSX would be a much much closer race.

depends on the viper..The 1996-2002 gts viper for example dynoes 410 rwhp and weighs 3440 pounds..I think a 3050 pound 400 rwhp 1991 nsx could maybe beat one of those..maybe even a heavier 97 nsx with 400 rwhp..

But the srt10's (2003-2006) are around 450 rwhp on the dyno and 3390 pounds..Gonna need a biut more than 400..

surprisingly my buddy had a stock 2005 last year nsx and that thing was crazy fast for stock..My BBSC 1991 was barely able to beat him..Maybe 3 cars by 130 mph..

We ran his stock 2005 nsx against my stock 1999 viper and the viper only won by around 3 cars..his stock 2005 was also dead even with my head/cam 2004 vette at 378 rwhp..

you put a supercharger on a 2005 and watch out!!!! I know they are supposed to be the same NA2 engine as the 97 but it just dosent seem that way??????

Im pretty sure the 2002-2005 nsx went 12.9 at 112 mph in a magazine

was looking for videos of NSX beating a Viper and found this one LOL

showing off gets you nothing.
this guy should have scrapped the
cement wall instead of rear ending the Van.
he could have saved his Frame,
always hit the wall in that sitution,
new fender, new door, new rear quarter and hes good but rear ending another car frame damage and TOTAL loss to the insurance company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DIUZ_g6pk

heres a 2000HP viper 175mph in 7 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIFjQIgmOA&p=40B32E88C3AD985F&playnext=1&index=50

Last edited:
ve seen a kool vid of a 450 rwhp TT nsx blasting by a stock 2003 viper at a private drag strip rental....Ill try and find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dks-n90iihs

They say the nsx is 400 rwhp and 3000 pounds against this seemingkly stock 2003 viper at 3390 pounds and 445 rwhp..

Looks like a bad driver in the viper as he was missing shifts ect. but the nsx kicked butt nicely

The comments on the Viper forum are hilarious. I could have fun on a board like that but it would get old in 0.2 secs.

Straight line speed just doesn't do it for me and I own a 400hp muscle car that weights about the same as the Viper. It feels good on my machismo when I punk some kid into embarrassment but it's nothing like being fast at the track or even the canyons.

I have nearly 400whp and I wouldn't feel good about racing a viper on a roll. The one catch is if the Viper doesn't spin his wheels during gear shifts than he should win. The NSX does alright when boosted but certain cars are just meant to drag race and not road race. That being said I would feel good about taking on a Viper at Spring Mountain Ranch 3.2 mile course.

I have nearly 400whp and I wouldn't feel good about racing a viper on a roll. The one catch is if the Viper doesn't spin his wheels during gear shifts than he should win. The NSX does alright when boosted but certain cars are just meant to drag race and not road race. That being said I would feel good about taking on a Viper at Spring Mountain Ranch 3.2 mile course.

There was a local ex-NSX guy ( who's name I will not reveal..... for now at least) that owned a CTSC 2005 Silverstone and he said he can take my GTO when it was a measly 514rwhp and 489rwtq with the Maggie, full exhaust and intake. I'm not sure what sorta HP he was making, we never lined up since he stacked it shortly thereafter.

What do you think the outcome of the race would have been? I have stock 3.46 rear end and about 3700lbs~.

Well Im at 476/512 SAE on a dyno jet and 3390 pounds..

The 97 with the supercharger is 3150 plus lets just say 50 pounds for the supercharger tubeing ect ( my BBSC was 75 pounds i belieave)..

So at 3200 pounds plus his agressive 4.07 rear end gearing vs my weak sauce 3.07's in the viper...I think 435 rwhp might get him in the ball park and give me a good run..

he has the CTSC so im not sure if that power level is achieavable???

But 400 rwhp...no way..he's gonna get walked..

A 91 at 3000 pounds plus the 50 pound supercharger and 400 rwhp MIGHT be able to hand for a little bit..But I still think even the light weight 91 would need 420 rwhp to hang..

My Viper at 476 rwhp has touched 123 mph with my timing gear. My nsx when supercharged at 330 rwhp touched 113 mph at the same location with the same timing gear..

so your talking about a 10 mph spread...yea..Im thinking another 100-110 rwhp to get to the same 123 mph 1/4 mile trap capabilities

Part of me think the 400rwhp NSX might be within arms reach to the viper since the NSX have:

1. more weight over the rear wheels for less tire spin
2. Not so much TQ down low so that it doesn't spend too much time spinning tires off the line ( I can't tell you how many times that I've almost lost to lessor HP cars when my rear tires were spinning through 2 - 3 gears)
3. Better gearing?

The 02 + NSX's making 400whp would also give the 3rd gen viper a good run in the top speed department, since we are more aero dynamtic with a smaller frontal area. Stock 02 top speed with 290 hp is 175mph vs stock 3rd gen top speed of 190mph but with 505 hp.

Why are you debating that a ~3200 lb 97 vs a ~3050 lb 91 would be slower? From what I have noticed NA2 make a bit more power compared to NA1s when both are boosted. A boosted 3.2 with better gearing from the 6 speed is generally going to be faster then a NA1 boosted even if it's 150 lbs lighter. The biggest difference is rigidity and chasis twist. The 100-150 lbs difference is negligible in acceleration that driver error and inconsistency could compensate.

Check the magazine recorded times for 91-93, 94, then 95-96. The 95-96 are about ~100 lbs heavier, but yet still ran in the high 13s as low as 13.7 I believe. They all fluctate within 13.7-14.0, with the 91 usually closer to 14 sec. This is probably due to the thin 225s vs 245s tested or maybe just sucky drivers/weak launches.

Back