2002 Upgrade Conversion

If I was the "type of person" who could buy an 02 NSX right now, I would. But I can't, so I will do the conversion. I know lots of people have done and do these conversions so if any of them have any advice, much appreciated. Thanks.

I hear ya man, ....I have a coupe and wanted to do the conversion to save the weight on my car and I really liked the look. All OEM stuff here except the light brackets, wire harness, and bucket fillers. That stuff was downforce. Not one fitment issue.

It's your car and your choice but If I had an older targa and could do the sell and purchase. I would have. But you can't beat a coupe with the weight savings and upgrades.

Last edited:
If I was the "type of person" who could buy an 02 NSX right now, I would. But I can't, so I will do the conversion. I know lots of people have done and do these conversions so if any of them have any advice, much appreciated. Thanks.

A 2002 silver just sold on Prime. Asking price was $51K.
No idea what it sold for but let's say $50K
The Dali website shows the cost of a full oem conversion kit is $11 k plus shipping so let's say $11.5 K delivered
Lets assume paint will cost $4k so we're up to say $15.5 K
If we further assume your 96 is worth say $32K.
Add the oem parts and paint and you're up to $47.5K for your replica assuming you do all the work and don't value your labor.

For $2500 more you could have the real thing that will appreciate over time, instead of a replica which will depreciate.
My numbers may be out and I'm sure aftermarket parts would be cheaper but the result will be the same

Lot's of threads on Prime about doing the conversion
If you do a search I think you'll find lots of tips.

Last edited:
I would say those prices are a little high, you can convert for much less (assuming you go with DF parts, aftermarket HIDs, etc). I spent less than $4k on my including paint but i found many of my parts for super cheap (i lucked out)

I did the conversion a couple years ago. I tried to stay with mostly OEM parts.

Type R spoiler was DF as well as the side skirts
The hood is another story. I did as much research as I could on the type R style hood. What I found was Seibon was the worst and the pro car was the best. The DF one could vary in quality and fitment and it wasnt all that cheap either. I discovered that ViS has a very good reliable fitment so I went with that.

I did the conversion for myself not really for resale. I dont think you can recoup the cost of a conversion when you are selling but if it is done properly with documentation then it will add value to someone that knows what they want. Basically a light weight coupe with that gorgeous front end. The handling and weight difference is very noticeable, don't let any targa guy tell you different. I loved my nsx before the conversion and I love it even more now.

IMG_7942_zps15912a15.jpg

IMG_8112_zps3ef41d87.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7942_zps15912a15.jpg
    IMG_7942_zps15912a15.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 314
If you decide to go with VIS, I have some tips as I've bought from them before.

VIS will price match any authorized dealer (call VIS and ask for a price match) The reason i mention this is because you are less likely to get screwed by buying from VIS vs some random vendor. With that said, bodykitsdepot.com (link below) has the lowest price for the R stiyle hood. Have them match the price and see what they can do with shipping.

sitehttp://www.bodykitsdepot.com/Acura/Nsx/2002-2005-Nsx/Hood-83/Vis-Racing-2002-2005-Acura-Nsx-Type-R-Fiberglass-Hood.html

Do you have a good place to find a ViS hood?

I would be surprised to see an 02+ go for less than 57k unless salvage. Was this the case?

I did the conversion a couple years ago. I tried to stay with mostly OEM parts.

Type R spoiler was DF as well as the side skirts
The hood is another story. I did as much research as I could on the type R style hood. What I found was Seibon was the worst and the pro car was the best. The DF one could vary in quality and fitment and it wasnt all that cheap either. I discovered that ViS has a very good reliable fitment so I went with that.

I did the conversion for myself not really for resale. I dont think you can recoup the cost of a conversion when you are selling but if it is done properly with documentation then it will add value to someone that knows what they want. Basically a light weight coupe with that gorgeous front end. The handling and weight difference is very noticeable, don't let any targa guy tell you different. I loved my nsx before the conversion and I love it even more now.

IMG_7942_zps15912a15.jpg

IMG_8112_zps3ef41d87.jpg

Amen Chris.

Thanks myw. Black Cayman in the pic spun out at the next corner trying to keep up with my quarter century old car. Coupe ftw

IIRC, a member here sold all of their OEM 02+ conversion parts for $5900. Can't remember the specifics and I am on my cell right now but the old classifieds should have it.

And then add paint and labor and you're at $10k. Even for used parts. Plus if you buy a newer car you can finance the "facelift" with higher residual value.

Last edited:
Back