2002 Silver, 42K miles

i'd say go for it....

i picked up my 02 nsx with 50k miles on it for under $40k cash. Clean title. Runs like a champ!!! so it definately isnt unheard of....

I hope that qualifies me as a smart buyer.. i think the $20K I saved in the bank makes me think so :P

Last edited:
i'd say go for it....

i picked up my 02 nsx with 50k miles on it for under $40k cash. Clean title. Runs like a champ!!! so it definately isnt unheard of....

I hope that qualifies me as a smart buyer.. i think the $20K I saved in the bank makes me think so :P

He he..we might not be as "smart" as that other guy, but we sure have good timing....:tongue:

One thing is for certain..on Prime, there is at least one more horse's ass than there are horses.
:wink:

An 02 will require TB and water belt maint NOW. Keep this in mind.

Gruevin,

It sounds to me like you are on to a good one. If you can afford it then it's a good deal. Just be sure there is no accident damage. Make sure the clutch is ok - it's a big one in the 3.2 engines- there is a dual mass flywheel that can't be resurfaced and if the clutch has been mistreated by a yahoo then it will cost 4k to get that replaced cause you may have to replace the flywheel. 2k each. The timing belt and water pump service is varying depending on who you take it too. If you know a good independant mechanic then it may cost around 1600 or less - but just make sure he's a good mechanic - if it's the dealer then it will be as much as 2250 or so. So make sure you get your ducks in a row before you think it's just the purchase price you have to worry about.

A 2002 with 41k miles is usually much higer. For example on Prime right now there is a guy with similar mileage on a white on white and he want's 50k so take that as a bench mark. It should be around 48k if it's solid - sometimes folks walk into a steal and this sounds like a really good price if everything is good.

The guy with the white on white had to replace his clutch and flywheel cause the guy that had it before him obviously didn't know how to drive it. So driving habits are really important. If you don't have a lot of experience with manual trannies then you need to be careful. Don't use it as a hill brake. Don't ever ride the clutch - that's a killer.

Don't mean to lecture you - you might be an expert but some aren't. Take it for what it's worth.

Some respond, like the villiage idiot comment, cause this deal is "too good to be true" kind of thing. Don't let it bother you, no harm was meant. Just a little uncaring and you are new. I get it too, so don't feel like the lone ranger.

Tim

He he..we might not be as "smart" as that other guy, but we sure have good timing....:tongue:

One thing is for certain..on Prime, there is at least one more horse's ass than there are horses.
:wink:

Show up with the car before you start calling people a 'horse's ass', my friend. As far as I can tell, you have not bought anything yet. I hope you do. I really hope you do get the car. But right now this is all talk. It is obvious this is a good deal, so when are you going to pick it up?

Not likely, I haven't seen them and I've been really looking hard. If this comes thru for the guy it would be a nice one. But we shouldn't be calling newbies "villiage idiots" either.

They for sure are selling closer to 40k... Like i said i got mine for even under 40k!!!!!!!!!! Thats half the price some people were buying their 05's.... Now they are trying to still sell their 05's for 80k plus!! LOL (that aint happening)

To the OP. I appologize for the comment made. Quite often we all see someone post on a website that they can get X car, with Y miles, for Z dollars without giving much other information such as the VIN or location. That in itself leaves much room for doubt, especially when we are talking about an NSX. I will use myself as an example. I just recently bought low mileage 2006 CLS500 for $31k. I didn't post anywhere that I found this great car and should I buy it. I clicked the "buy it now" on ebay and then worked out the deal and flew out to drive it home. After the car was in my garage I made a post here about how great the Benz is because another member had just purchased one also. Simple and no tire kicking.

As I stand corrected, I surely hope you do get the car you are interested in.

-Good day.

Gruevin,

It sounds to me like you are on to a good one. If you can afford it then it's a good deal. Just be sure there is no accident damage. Make sure the clutch is ok - it's a big one in the 3.2 engines- there is a dual mass flywheel that can't be resurfaced and if the clutch has been mistreated by a yahoo then it will cost 4k to get that replaced cause you may have to replace the flywheel. 2k each. The timing belt and water pump service is varying depending on who you take it too. If you know a good independant mechanic then it may cost around 1600 or less - but just make sure he's a good mechanic - if it's the dealer then it will be as much as 2250 or so. So make sure you get your ducks in a row before you think it's just the purchase price you have to worry about.

A 2002 with 41k miles is usually much higer. For example on Prime right now there is a guy with similar mileage on a white on white and he want's 50k so take that as a bench mark. It should be around 48k if it's solid - sometimes folks walk into a steal and this sounds like a really good price if everything is good.

The guy with the white on white had to replace his clutch and flywheel cause the guy that had it before him obviously didn't know how to drive it. So driving habits are really important. If you don't have a lot of experience with manual trannies then you need to be careful. Don't use it as a hill brake. Don't ever ride the clutch - that's a killer.

Don't mean to lecture you - you might be an expert but some aren't. Take it for what it's worth.

Some respond, like the villiage idiot comment, cause this deal is "too good to be true" kind of thing. Don't let it bother you, no harm was meant. Just a little uncaring and you are new. I get it too, so don't feel like the lone ranger.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Excellent advice. I'll post some pics once its in my garage.

Going to bump this... why not :)

Did you buy it? Is it here?

I agree with Doc's original tone. I want to see the $40k 02s. Ill bet lunch and free beer that, if someone even shows up with one, Ill spot accident history in 5 seconds :D

Heck, it even happened a time or two recently with 02+ cars going for WELL over $40k (one or two were even listed HERE, believe it or not)

In dreamland pristine cream puff exotic cars are being given away for free now. In the world of reality, the owners who KNOW they have perfect ones are sitting on them to get their price because, to be blunt, 99% of the time they have more money and arent so desperate.

Is it possible that "wealthy friends" are choosing this moment to sell exotic cars at insane prices? Sure. Are there also cases of Wall St brokers who are near homeless and now blowing out perfect Ferraris at 50% off. Well maybe kind of (Ill at least admit its possible... LOL) Although even a dealer will give you better money on trade - IF the car is PERFECT - then some of these "perfect cream puffs" are supposedly going for private sale.

Are these scenarios (wealthy benefactors, suicidal millionaire fire sales, etc) common? Um... no... they're not.

Are crap cars that have lousy repair work being passed off as "PERFECT" by the seller, and then, hate to say it, even by the people who "steal" them since the rose colored glasses are on? Big time. And this scenario is VERY common all of the time, but especially in times like this when the market is soft.

Think about it... Best time to sell a car with a crap history is a "soft" market. You have a built in excuse for why the car is "so cheap" that every dreamer will EAT UP b/c they'd rather not accept the truth.

Im observing this trend on all of the boards I hang out on... VCA, Ferrari Chat, Rennlist. Lots of new people posting "is this a good deal?? It seems sort of maybe expensive" and posting a car that is like $10k off what is reasonable even under current conditions. And of course as people try to inject reality there is strong resistance. Its human nature to want to think you're finding the bargain of the century, but it is RARELY true.

Last edited:
I did the exact same thing. I found a fantastic deal on an RL and clicked on "buy it now." I didn't want to lose out on the deal and luckily the car was only 3 hours away. I figured I could work out the details and inspection later.

To the OP. I appologize for the comment made. Quite often we all see someone post on a website that they can get X car, with Y miles, for Z dollars without giving much other information such as the VIN or location. That in itself leaves much room for doubt, especially when we are talking about an NSX. I will use myself as an example. I just recently bought low mileage 2006 CLS500 for $31k. I didn't post anywhere that I found this great car and should I buy it. I clicked the "buy it now" on ebay and then worked out the deal and flew out to drive it home. After the car was in my garage I made a post here about how great the Benz is because another member had just purchased one also. Simple and no tire kicking.

As I stand corrected, I surely hope you do get the car you are interested in.

-Good day.

Smokin' deal. Buy it and drive the $#&! out of it. Look forward to the pics once it hits your garage. That is a great deal on a NA2!

Back