2002 mid year changes

I have noticed some comments in the forum regarding mid year changes on the 2002 models. Can anyone explain what changes were made and is there a serial number cutoff between the "old" 2002 and the "new" 2002". I have seen the model year production numbers which are useful but do not identify any mid year model changes.

I've been hearing a lot about the mid 2002 changes too a lot lately, and I was wondering the same thing.

Vance told me that 02 models made after march of 02 might have a stronger engine but know one is sure!!! Look at his and NSX1 engines, the dynos are strong for NA!! the notor is strong as heck!!! I cant wait to get an 02 in a couple of years!!!

Last edited:
I saw notes regarding suspension changes at mid year and interior change of putting chrome on the console instead of apparently a black finish. I had not seen anything regarding the engine being changed. I wonder if the rumor on added power is the result of an exhaust or air intake change?

I have noticed some comments in the forum regarding mid year changes on the 2002 models. Can anyone explain what changes were made and is there a serial number cutoff between the "old" 2002 and the "new" 2002". I have seen the model year production numbers which are useful but do not identify any mid year model changes.

I first noticed that there could have been a mid-year change when I measured my rear anti-sway bar. (See this post.) I don't remember getting a response from anyone with an early 2002 to confirm what size their's was. Someone posted the spec for the 2002 NSX (here) in which it listed the rear sway bar as ~17mm (mine was ~19mm). I then looked up the 2003 spec (here) which showed the thicker sway bar. Not sure what else there could be that's different.

Center Console for 2002-2005 No Change
Front Springs 2002-2005 No Change
Rear Springs 2002-2005 No Change
Front Sway Bar 2002-2005 No Change (front sway from 1997-2005 is the same)
Rear Sway Bar 2002-2005 No Change

The above data is based on 2002-2005 actual part numbers. Marketing materials are a little less accurate:).

Not sure where the mid-year change idea originated, but I tend to doubt it, especially with a 250 car production average in those years.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the responses folks. It didn't seem like there would be a mid year change but you never know. THe part number data seems to confirm the no changes viewpoint. Not sure what could be the deal with the sway bar measurement. Since it is the 02 year that I'm looking at pretty hard this was helpful feedback for me.

There is an 02 #25 for which I am engaged in pretty serious discussions. Any specific feedback on that vehicle or early serial numbers from 02?

I first noticed that there could have been a mid-year change when I measured my rear anti-sway bar. (See this post.) I don't remember getting a response from anyone with an early 2002 to confirm what size their's was. Someone posted the spec for the 2002 NSX (here) in which it listed the rear sway bar as ~17mm (mine was ~19mm). I then looked up the 2003 spec (here) which showed the thicker sway bar. Not sure what else there could be that's different.

How are you measuring the bar? Mine was built Jan,02 and i would be glad to measure it but i am not interested in changing it.

How are you measuring the bar? Mine was built Jan,02 and i would be glad to measure it but i am not interested in changing it.

I measured the diameter with calipers.

Measure yours and relpy with the measurement and please include your production number.

Hmmm I guess that might mean that they gave the later models the same size rear sway as the Type S ( Zanardi models ). I wonder if that apply's to the shocks and springs as well. This bears some deeper investigation. Of course I wondered why the rear Zanardi sway I bought looked to be the same as my stock sway bar. Crap! There's a hundred bucks down the drain. Anyone know why we're possibly getting conflicting information on the 02+ models? Could it be because of the factory move?

Well, in my opionion, this all went down with my previous statements.

The NA2 R was issued from May of 2002, therefore, all USDM NSX after May of 2002, received similar treatments. Which includes thicker rear swaybars,stronger con-rod, etc. etc.

I'm serious, all of the later 2002 NSX and up dyno'd with more HP.

Hmmm I guess that might mean that they gave the later models the same size rear sway as the Type S ( Zanardi models ). I wonder if that apply's to the shocks and springs as well. This bears some deeper investigation. Of course I wondered why the rear Zanardi sway I bought looked to be the same as my stock sway bar. Crap! There's a hundred bucks down the drain. Anyone know why we're possibly getting conflicting information on the 02+ models? Could it be because of the factory move?

Well, you did upgrade "a little"... even thought the diameters are the same, the wall thickness of your stock sway was 2.3mm while the Zanardi is 3.0mm.

Well, you did upgrade "a little"... even thought the diameters are the same, the wall thickness of your stock sway was 2.3mm while the Zanardi is 3.0mm.

Well that helps:wink:

Well, in my opionion, this all went down with my previous statements.

The NA2 R was issued from May of 2002, therefore, all USDM NSX after May of 2002, received similar treatments. Which includes thicker rear swaybars,stronger con-rod, etc. etc.

I'm serious, all of the later 2002 NSX and up dyno'd with more HP.

So then do you think they upgraded the base NSX's to Type S level suspension after the move to consolidate parts? I ask because when I got a ride in a Zanardi the suspension didn't seem rough to me at all and I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference ( except for his super charger of course :biggrin: )

Last edited:
Anyone know why we're possibly getting conflicting information on the 02+ models? Could it be because of the factory move?
The move could not have affected changes in 2002, because production moved from Tochigi to Suzuka partway through the 2004 model year production.

2005 I think. Very early in the model year switched to "S" from "T"

No nsxtasy's right on the money check out this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62923&highlight=Tochigi+move

There must be some reason for these sometimes hidden changes though on the later model years. I can see Vance's reasoning ,but have to think that there would be part number differences ( or maybe reference notes for the Acura parts people to show part supercessions ). I guess we 02+ newbies are going to have do some investigating:biggrin:

There is no question that if a factory part is different it has a different part number. Also Zanardi was 1999, 50 cars only (well 51, to be exact:)).

I also know of a 1998 coupe that will blow the doors off of most other NSX's, completely stock configuration. I do not beleive it is "special" with special parts, just a very well balanced engine. JMO

HTH,
LaryB

There is no question that if a factory part is different it has a different part number. Also Zanardi was 1999, 50 cars only (well 51, to be exact:)).

I also know of a 1998 coupe that will blow the doors off of most other NSX's, completely stock configuration. I do not beleive it is "special" with special parts, just a very well balanced engine. JMO

HTH,
LaryB

Doesn't hurt that's also one of the lightest weights with the new motor/tranny combo:wink:

Doesn't hurt that's also one of the lightest weights with the new motor/tranny combo:wink:

Agreed:)

However, after test driving on average 25-30 different NSX's a year, This NSX's performance level is not ONLY weight based, trust me:).

Last edited:
Center Console for 2002-2005 No Change
Front Springs 2002-2005 No Change
Rear Springs 2002-2005 No Change
Front Sway Bar 2002-2005 No Change (front sway from 1997-2005 is the same)
Rear Sway Bar 2002-2005 No Change

The above data is based on 2002-2005 actual part numbers. Marketing materials are a little less accurate:).

Not sure where the mid-year change idea originated, but I tend to doubt it, especially with a 250 car production average in those years.

HTH,
LarryB

Well I inspected #25 from 2002 and it has the larger sway bars but the black not the chrome console. So, looks to me like some parts from 2001 were used on the early 2002 models.

Back