2.5 Year-Old Daughter Has Taken Over My Garage

thanks for that advice, i live in the northeast so that cold weather issue might be a problem for me. did you have a local dealer wher you bought the tiles or did you purchase them online? after reading up on that forum i really think this is gonna be my best option. thanks again

and i can imagine what your wife thinks when you out there sweeping... i installed surround sound and a flat panel in my garage so i only go inside for food!

Wow! You've got surround sound and a flat panel out there? :biggrin: Make sure you post some pictures - it sounds awesome!

I got the tiles at my local Home Depot. The non-solid tiles (the ones with little specs) go for around $0.68 per 12" tile. 5 gallons of adhesive ran about $40 and I had plenty left over from my ~450 ft^2 floor. You may be able to get them cheaper somewhere else, but I got mine when HD had a 10% off promotion, and the state of SC had a tax-free day (that's also when I got my air compressor and workbenches :biggrin: )

As far as the temperatures... I think Armstrong doesn't recommend floor temps below 55F. Obviously, there is some conservatism there, and your slab may not get that cold if your garage is insulated and you park your daily-drivers in there to provide some heat at night. I measured my slab temp last winter, since it can get down to 10F at night here sometimes, but I moved down here from Connecticut in 2005 just to get away from the cold :redface:

Very lovely daughter you have. Good to share the same interest.

man, that is a nice garage...but with a cute daughter like that, i'll let her have the whole thing too.

Damn, love the floor! That's something I was looking for myself. The racedeck stuff doesn't cut it for for the same reason and it gets dirty easily. Wasn't too crazy about the epoxy floors with the sprinkles either. Never though of using the grocery store stuff before. Did you seal the tiles with something after laying them?

After putting a few coats of polish on my floor, I went to the backyard for awhile to let it dry:

IMG_3361.jpg

My 2.5-year-old daughter took advantage of the open spot!
IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

She was a little upset when I told her to get it down off the jackstands:
IMG_3322.jpg

But thought it was a good idea to suggest a 4-post lift to Mom:
IMG_3328.jpg

This makes a car lady smile* :) Absolutely precious!

Mac Attack, what kind of flooring did you use?

they look like regular tiles, is it a garage specific tile?

obviosuly they are not those locking tiles..

Saw this thing for the first time yesterday. Looks great!

Thanks for the compliments!

The tiles are Armstrong VCT, I gave a little info about them and my experiences so far about halfway through the thread :wink:

I just got my car down off the jackstands after a week and noticed two of the four stands left slight impressions in the tiles. I had slipped an extra tile between each stand and the floor for a little added protection, but this didn't work as well as I had hoped. Next time I'll use a few blocks of wood :redface:

Thanks,

I had intended for it to be a working garage (I still need to put in another workbench for my grinder, drill press, scroll saw, etc), so it was fully insulated and I even used 19/32" plywood on the side walls to make it easy hanging stuff in the future :cool: Yeah, plywood is flammable and more expensive, but code only requires drywall on the wall shared with your home (which it is). Plus, I hate taping, mudding, and sanding drywall.

These are the final garage specs:

* ~460 ft^2
* Insulated w/ R35 in ceiling, R13 in walls, 1.75" styrofoam in garage door
* (4) 20 Amp Circuits
* 10k BTU A/C
* ~450W of flourescent lighting
* Plywood Walls
* Onkyo stereo with (2) 8" powered subwoofers

No fridge, TV, or sofa unfortunately :frown:

Back