1993 Red/Black with 91,000 miles?

i'd start at zilcho cuz its not a 93...

there should be an airbag here:

IMG_1946.jpg

and in 93 the console was different

IMG_1949.jpg

that car is a 91 or 92

Oh snap. Interesting.....going to have to talk to him tomorrow about that.

And what about the exhaust? It isn't the oval exhaust that I've seen on all the 1991 pictures.
IMG_1936.jpg

The owner should provide you with the serial number and on it you'll be able to determine the correct year. My guess is that this is a 91 or 92 like the other member has stated.

Have you checked the price guide for the NSX on NSX Prime WIKI? I'd say you'll probably be paying between $26 and $30 for this car.

Jetpilot

Oh snap. Interesting.....going to have to talk to him tomorrow about that.

And what about the exhaust? It isn't the oval exhaust that I've seen on all the 1991 pictures.
IMG_1936.jpg

I would not be that worried about the exhaust. A lot of cars have the exhausts switched to after market units, and this is just another one it seems.

Get the year figured out, and if the car is clean with service records, make him a fair offer. The car looks pretty nice overall for a 91,000 mile car. By the way, the timing belt, water pump, and accessory belts, are all on a 90,000 mile rotation, so this car is overdue by mileage and time.

Make sure you get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) from a mechanic familiar with the NSX. It could save you a fortune. You can always look up the KBB price for the car, once you determine it's year, and show him the print out and offer accordingly. If he knows what he has he'll laugh and you then counter offer. Be sure to check snap ring range since it's '91-'92. Good luck!

Okay, after calling him today it seems the car is a '92. All he knew was that the car was made in the second year of production and thought that year was 1992, not 1991.

First of alThis guy is not a member of any NSX community and doesn't seem to know much about this car, and he did not know of the snap ring issue. He looked up the transmission number and the last four digits were 4xxx, which meant it was in the snap ring range. But the car has 91k miles on it already, and it hasn't had any problems so far. The transmission was smooth as ever when I drove it. So maybe it was one of the lucky ones whose snap ring ridge was cut with a new bit?

I live in Norman, Oklahoma. This is one of two cars in our town, and the NSX scene is nonexistent. Where would I find a close NSX-experienced mechanic to check the car out?

Last edited:
Okay, after calling him today it seems the car is a '92. All he knew was that the car was made in the second year of production and thought that year was 1992, not 1991.

First of alThis guy is not a member of any NSX community and doesn't seem to know much about this car, and he did not know of the snap ring issue. He looked up the transmission number and the last four digits were 4xxx, which meant it was in the snap ring range. But the car has 91k miles on it already, and it hasn't had any problems so far. The transmission was smooth as ever when I drove it. So maybe it was one of the lucky ones whose snap ring ridge was cut with a new bit?

I live in Norman, Oklahoma. This is one of two cars in our town, and the NSX scene is nonexistent. Where would I find a close NSX-experienced mechanic to check the car out?

Check your closest Acura dealer for an NSX trained Tech. The snap ring can fail at anytime or mileage...I know too well. It's about a $2K preventative repair and should be figured into the purchase price of the car.

Good thing the car was worked on by a local mechanic! I'll give him a call tomorrow. The carfax checked out clean, and I also went over a lot of shop receipts. I'm slightly wary of the snap ring issue though, but I'll see what the mechanic knows.

The car has an HKS exhaust. Does anybody know how much that exhaust weighs? I searched but cannot find the weight. I only know that it's not much lighter than the stock 44lb exhaust.

It also has a plane jane K&N air filter. Would the $165 Downforce air intake scoop be a significant upgrade over it? Would there be any difference in sound?

And what do those four buttons to the left of the handbrake and behind the shifter do?

Good thing the car was worked on by a local mechanic! I'll give him a call tomorrow. The carfax checked out clean, and I also went over a lot of shop receipts. I'm slightly wary of the snap ring issue though, but I'll see what the mechanic knows.

The car has an HKS exhaust. Does anybody know how much that exhaust weighs? I searched but cannot find the weight. I only know that it's not much lighter than the stock 44lb exhaust.

It also has a plane jane K&N air filter. Would the $165 Downforce air intake scoop be a significant upgrade over it? Would there be any difference in sound?

And what do those four buttons to the left of the handbrake and behind the shifter do?

Before you start worrying about modifications, you really should focus on if this is the car for you. The weight of the exhaust and air filter will not matter at all if the car does not check out the way you want it. Have you scheduled a PPI or anything to move this deal along?

Back