1992 NA1 NSX - won't start - but start ?? Helpppp please....

hi guys

i have just bought my first nsx 2 weeks ago, it's an auto though, after 25 years of saving and love it to bits until today...

i stopped at the gas station, not for refuelling but to get a subway for lunch, came out and car wouldn't start!!! :mad::mad:

i was really really frustrated, angry, all mix of emotions --- just thinking that i bought a dud :(

engine turned over but wouldn't start, tried it many times and i finally gave up. it managed to start once/twice but died straight away. so i was stranded in the gas station for about 10-15 mins, and decided to have another go and she started !

went home and parked it inside garage. turned it off and out of curiousity i tried to started it again and it won't start. it seems it needs time to cool down before it wants to start again.

can someone please help..... i don't want to get stranded out in nowhere...

appreciate any help

cheers

Either Fuel pump because it cranks or a couple of guys here had an issue with the Mail Relay and also the ignition switch, the back electrical part.
I have a weird way to start mine, i turn the key over to ing and wait for the lights to come on and chime to end its cycle and then i start, if i do it before it cranks and does not start as quick as it does if i wait. Maybe my fuel pump needs to send all the fuel pressure in a couple of seconds but it works for me.

It appears you might be new to NSXPrime so maybe you haven't heard about the NSX Wiki which is a growing collection of all things NSX. It can be accessed off the red action bar at the top of most pages. If you look in the Repairing Your NSX section, and then in the Engine section, you will see that the three most common causes (as mentioned by WldNsx) are the main relay and the ignition switch, and there are some suggestions there on how to diagnose which it is. There are also links on how to remove and clean the ignition switch (a DIY job) and to replace or resolder the connections inside the main relay. The good news is that the main relay is a relatively inexpensive part .. although it may take a while to get one. Good luck!

thanks for that nsx wiki champion

anyone here can suggest any place that sells this main relay and can shipping INTERNATIONALLY or WORLDWIDE ? i will buy one for a spare anyway and will still try to resolder this original one

so far i can only find acurapartswarehouse.com that has this relay listed and unfortunately they do not offer worldwide shipping :(

anyone can help ?

I get my bits from Daliracing. There is also oemacuraparts or acuraoemparts that offer international shipping.

Or your local Acura/Honda dealer.

tried oemacuraparts it rejected my credit card and paypal :(

all the details are the same as per my credit card yet their system still saying it's not the same

this is very very frustrating ! got the $ but can't buy :(

acuraoemparts.com is not active... website is down :(

MAIN RELAY was my issue, bought mine fo an acura dealer online...cleared my starting problem up

tried oemacuraparts it rejected my credit card and paypal :(

all the details are the same as per my credit card yet their system still saying it's not the same

this is very very frustrating ! got the $ but can't buy :(

acuraoemparts.com is not active... website is down :(

Contact Daliracing then. Mark has been awesome in helping me get OEM parts. I got my new main relay from him among other things.

You should try re-soldering the main relay board first.

angus - will do that in the weekend or possibly tonight if it's not raining

i'll buy them anyway for spare

I was going to say check your main relay first, but see it's been said. I would replace with a new one and keep the old one as a spare. It's a common problem and a cheap easy DIY fix.

I had both failures (main relay and ignition switch) in the last few years on my 92. From the symptoms you describe, I'd say it's more likely the ignition switch.

My ignition switch problems were similar to what you describe: would start sometimes and not others. In my case it would crank and fire, then stall.

My relay problems were rather different: occasional short stutters while running, until one day it wouldn't start. This turned out to be the classic cracking of the solder under the relay.

But as others have said, resoldering or replacing the relay is cheap and easy, and probably needs to be done anyway...

hi. thanks guys.. have ordered both, the main relay and the ignition switch... 2 weeks ex-japan.. so i will have a go resoldering this original one hopefully it fixes the problem

good things we have so many expert with wealth of knowledge in this forum eh ? couldn't have done it without you all :) :)

Mate go to Torque Performance in Avondale they have got lots of parts in for mine including a new main relay last month.
They are a authorised Honda dealer and service centre
Cheers

Last edited:
You should try re-soldering the main relay board first.

I had a very similar problem this week. I drove it all over town on Tuesday and when I went to start her up for a drive Wednesday night it wouldn't start. It was oh so close, but just couldn't fire up despite turning over. Battery was fine, jumpstart did nothing, not one blown fuse, I was out of options for my very limited mechanical skills. Just got it fixed and its driving great today: main relay was re-soldered.

Back