1991 NSX for $19000 need help on making decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but that hyway 99 is really scary, last yeah i had 2 audis pass me on a hill going 90 mph on the wrong side of the road it was great! :mad: Its cool by me it people in Cali dont think so highly of seattle ...keeps em down there and not up here inlflating home prices :wink:

Last edited:
godspeed01 said:
lol zahn

just read your post on that guy that flamed the charmelon paint schemed NSX :)

lol that guy got such a good licking.... :) just added my 2 cents to the fray to kick him while he is down for being stubid.

Also with paying out of the nose for something you cant afford only to act like you can .... its really silly. I see kids with BMWs and other nice cars and just laugh inside cause i know they are busting ass at McDicks working 9$/hour to pay 500$/month in payments and 200+ for insurace just so they can pertend like they have more then what they got. This applies to older people also.

silly people :D

your smart of keeping life easy and affordable. thumbs up to the smart man.

I guess that thread is deleted, I could not find it.

I could say a word or two about it and you calling me stupid here, I'd hardly call that a good licking, but I'll refrain.

as for the NSX... if you're only gonna have it a couple months.. What's the point? With it having that much mileage, you never know what's gonna happen. Yea it's a Honda, but stuff gets old, and used. You don't wanna buy a car you only sort of want... and then have to drop $4,000 in repairs into it.

I'd say get something else.

i have lived close enough to seattle to rant

lol 99 sea to sky is the best road and lots of fun. They are blasting it as we speak to get it ready for the olympics and they are making it 4 lanes i think :(

I was too young back in the days and didnt have the right car to enjoy the drive but if i do make my way back north i'll definity give that road a run for its money.... or ill just be into the rock face or off the cliff. :tongue:

rick

get off my post.

The point is i have the money. The point is i wanted this car since i was 19. The point is i told the admin i wont lay the smack down on you again. So please, leave this post.

Once again your talking with out thinking. Please go flame else where.

The point is i will have the for a couple of month, have the nice car and have fun and over all have my cake and eat it too. When it gets old ill sell it and then i can say been there done that, now on to the next car.

But nsx is nice. ill probably fall in love with it.

he wasnt even talking about you ricky ,I think he was talking about the guy that said Honda motorcycles wer no good and Ducati ruled the world!

also where do you come up with $4000 in repairs?!.....

just some random number you pulled out of a hat. I learn and do all work myself and is an able bodied individual. Something really crappy needs to go wrong before i drop 4000$ in parts.

Once again, you dont know the condition of the car. Neither do i. If i buy the car it would be because it is up to my standards.

Now go and read your books and i gota get back to my customers. :cool:

i would be making bank instead of sweating it out here in california if i was selling ice cream :biggrin:

lol ok no more post from me. Im done. I got the answer to my questions about NSX for 19000. if all goes we'll ill be driving one home this weekend.

later :cool:

get it inspected ...good luck...I would do it for ya but i doubt the owner will let you drive it to seattle for the weekend :wink:

godspeed01 said:
also where do you come up with $4000 in repairs?!.....

just some random number you pulled out of a hat. I learn and do all work myself and is an able bodied individual. Something really crappy needs to go wrong before i drop 4000$ in parts.

When it gets old ill sell it and then i can say been there done that, now on to the next car.

like my 91, the car is old.

4000, that is a random number, but its a good estimate if something goes wrong with that car at 170k. you could get the car checked out and on the way home something could always happen. hopefully that doesn't happen.

you need to calm down a bit, i thought i was on an acura integra forum for a minute. also, read your reply outloud before submitting it. i had to fill in the blanks every other sentence.

if you go into the FAQ theres a good priceguide that was very usefull when i purchased mine, which i did finance!

4K seems a little high esp If you are able to do your own work, But kids these days are so ......spirited! yeah thats it spirited ...except that 40 somthing guy that kicks butt on his Ducati he is just full of piss and vinegar !!!! :biggrin:

Get the car throughly checked out and if it is mechanically sound, buy it immediately.

I have a 93 that I bought 18 months ago with 70,000 miles on the clock and the car now has 135,000 miles. It's driven hard every day and tracked several times a year. Besides normal maintenance (replacing original clutcj at 130,000 miles, slave cylinder etc...), nothing, I repeat nothing has broken on this car.

The NSX is the only car in the world where the odometer is inconsequential. You actually want to rack up the miles so you can embarass other car owners. The car is built with a level of quality unheard of in the automotive world. It's durability should be compared to a modern airframe which can last over 50 years.

$19,000 is a steal is the car is in good shape.

sounds good :)

EVerything will come out in the wash :D

also eyeing some lower milage NSX in the 50-70K range but they r more $ of course.

$19K for an nsx even a beater is pretty reasonable. I just dont want something major to brake down or the car to stop on my way home! :eek: :biggrin:

What should i look out for when i check out the car? i heard some snap ring stuff. what is that about?

thanks again

godspeed01 said:
sounds good :)

EVerything will come out in the wash :D

also eyeing some lower milage NSX in the 50-70K range but they r more $ of course.

$19K for an nsx even a beater is pretty reasonable. I just dont want something major to brake down or the car to stop on my way home! :eek: :biggrin:

What should i look out for when i check out the car? i heard some snap ring stuff. what is that about?

thanks again

What people are telling you is to have the car checked out by a mechanic, not doing it yourself. $4000 can be eaten up very quickly if the car needs the AC repaired (compressor/condenser $1k+), clutch ($1500+), window regulators ($500-$1000), speakers and amps, timing belt, water pump, replacing trunk and engine hatch struts, coolant bottle and hoses etc. Has the cars service intervals up to date? Just the 60k service is $1k+. Some of those repairs can be done by you, but others can only be done by a shop, unless you have a lift, knowhow and the skills to take out the trans and other uniqueness of the NSX. Ever pulled a trans on an NSX? Remember no matter how reliable the car is, you are getting a 13-year-old car, some parts may not be designed to last 13 years.

Goto the FAQ section there is a complete discription of the snap ring issue, There really isnt much I can think of that makes these cars stop running, except for the EFI main relay will cause a hot restart issue, but they are very relyible cars, just make sure you check out all the systems, climate control,TCS,audio, have it inspected to see about any leaks or axle issues and of course to check for collision repairs..then drive it up here and we can go for a spin in the mountians :smile:

already read the snap ring stuff.

interesting. Gota check the tranny number when i see the car.

Ill read up on the NSX and trouble spots before i go take a look. Im pretty machanically inclinded and have done all work on all my cars up till now.

never cracked a tranny before but i dont plan on doing it. Some stuff shoudl be reserved for the pros... but if you have a factory manual and follow it step by step.... you really cant get it wrong. Im a DIY kinda guy. give me 4 jack stands, one tranny jack and ill drop and do the clutch myself :biggrin:

everything will come out in the wash. If its no good ill turn tail and run. :tongue:

as for the a/c and clutch and ... window regulator...im pretty sure you can rebuild the a/c compressor for less then 2-300$ in OEM parts.

Window regulator..... salvage yard or self take it apart and self rebuild.

I try not to pay for silly dealer ship prices :cool:

I don't know how far you are willing to go for an nsx but here is one in MN

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...th&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1981&cardist=60

the ad is pretty crappy, no pics and not much info, but the price is really cheap. About once every few weeks I end up going to rochester where this car is supposedly located, I plan on checking it out if things work out. But I can't buy yet so if it's any good I'll post somewhere here with some first hand info hopefully.

"one tranny jack and ill drop and do the clutch myself "

I have done many clutch's, converted 4 spd cars to 5 spd's etc.
But not 100% sure I will do the clutch or timing belt on my NSX.
Very happy it was just done prior to my purchasing it.
You may wish to look into it 1st.

**** This one may be a deal?***
OOPS, DIDNT SEE THE LITTLE "at" IN THE ADD.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...th&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1990&cardist=23

Last edited:
called and no one picked up.

I stil think 80k for $21K is a silly price. There has to be some gimick ie salvage title, accident, need to be fixed or something.

If its too good to be true, it usually like... like the 8000$ TT supras in europe. :smile:

Go For It!

Window regulator for the NSX isn't worthwhile rebuilding, so I've heard from many who simply acquire a new/used one. The install labor can be a DIY, no doubt. There is preventative maint' that can be done while it's still functioning to prevent it's full failure (ie. window fix-it thingies: $5-10 aluminum clips, lube tracks/guides).

Unless you're an A/C pro, I don't think it's something you can D.I.Y. With that said, used compressors can be acquired for very reasonable prices (often cross-listed w/ other makes & models). I'd be thoroughly impressed if you or anyone can overhaul the NSX A/C. {Compressor, evaporator, condensor, fans/motors, long lines running front-to-back of the car, etc} Also check to see if it's R134 retrofitted.

$19k is a great price for such a high-calibre sportscar as the NSX. Provided the maint/serv is upto date (key points: timing belt & water pump done every 6yrs OR 90k miles, the 6yr/60k mile service done on schedule, etc) & all/most mechanicals & electronics are functioning and the body/condition is acceptable to you. 170k miles shouldn't be a deterrent, instead a poorly maintained & neglected NSX would be one to avoid for your needs (short term ownership w/o any funds towards upkeep).

If you can get it for even 1cent less than the asking price, consider it a deal.

BTW, where are you & where is the NSX located? Run a car-fax? Get the VIN# and try to get a service history from Acura dealer computers?

To insure you don't run into unexpected and unanticipated expenditures down the road, the Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) by an Acura dealership's service shop will be very insightful. It's about ~$150 (about 2hrs labor) and the NSX is thoroughly examined off a checklist of things to look at. This PPI was in theory made for such circumstances as yours. If the PPI seems ok, no reason why you shouldn't pursue this NSX.

Goodluck.

godspeed01 said:
called and no one picked up.

I stil think 80k for $21K is a silly price. There has to be some gimick ie salvage title, accident, need to be fixed or something.

If its too good to be true, it usually like... like the 8000$ TT supras in europe. :smile:

I agree, but I still might check it out in person, maybe they don't know what they have and they'll let me test drive it. :biggrin:

Hi Osiris

Thanks for the objective review of the pit falls.

I'll definitly keep a close eye on all maintance. If it has been neglected i wont touch it witha 10 foot poll.

I have more then enough for maintance but just dont want to put in any more then i have too due to the short term owner ship... i bet you guys a pretty penny that ill fall it love iwth it and keep it forever and ever. Well have had my eye on it for the last 3-4 years and still didnt get bored of it yet :wink:

WIth all this talk of problems and what not im looking at a few NSX with less miles... ie 70-80K

Looking at one right now for 28K with snap rings done and clutch 30000 miles ago.

Choice... a blessing and a burden :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back