• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX Final Emissions Test

So...for two years I have been dreading this day...the day I would take my 1991 NSX in for its final emissions test in Virginia. Two years ago, it took three pulls (the max allowed) for it to pass...barely. I'm running larger injectors, a BBTB, headers and pipe, AEM Series 2, but no major engine mods...yet. I did all my pre-test routine...injector cleaner, good tune up, hot cats, etc.

The first place that I went to (I'd arranged for the test a week in advance, but their #1 emissions guy was on vacation), immediately said they couldn't do it...ramp dyno, car too low.

The second place I called (that tested the car two years ago), was super backed up and they didn't know if they could test the car this week.

A third place was recommended to me, near the first place where I went, that had an in-ground dyno. I went there, explained the situation to the emissions testing guy, then sat in the lobby with my fingers and toes crossed.

The car passed on the second pull, passing the CO% threshold by .02%. Everything else was OK by a wide margin. Wow.

Whew...glad this is over.

I've already had my last one done also. Already yanked the cat and installed Pride RTPs :biggrin: then my window reg went out on the test drive :frown:

Last edited:
Final emissions test? CA is every two years, and they have already cut the max allowable emissions for the 91 MT. Just passed yesterday, but i'm dreading two years from now...

Hippies.

Final for OP's 91 since next year the car will qualified for being 25 year old and no longer require emissions testings in VA...

Amen to the above comments. I've got a bunch of emissions delete stuff on order for SoS, but it is going to take a bit to get everything. When it arrives, I'm going to take my NSX to PTuning in Manassas and have them do before and after dyno runs. I'll post the results in case this might help others. I'm expecting very modest rwhp gains...maybe.

Back