1991-1993 or 1997-1999

Hi everybody,
Im looking for a NSX. I would like to have your opinion.

Is it better to buy a older NSX with very low millage (1991 with 11 000 miles) in mint conditon, clean title or buy a newer NSX, I mean 1997 to 1999 with lot more millage (about 45 000 milles or more) and not necessary in mint conditon finally for the same price.

Thanks !

Jeff

First off I wouldn't call 45k on an NSX high mileage so I wouldn't put much weight to that factor. Condition is obviously important, if it was mangled I would go with the better car regardless of the year....if the difference is 35k miles of rock chips and/or a door ding then that's another story. Assuming here that maintenance levels are the same as well (i.e. current).

The real question is what do you want to do with the car? The 97+ have significant improvements, but there are only a few 97+ coupes out there. Seems like the early models would be better track rat choices, but if you're concerned about it being mint I would assume you aren't going to track it. So, I would recommend the 97+ based on my assumption set :).

First off I wouldn't call 45k on an NSX high mileage so I wouldn't put much weight to that factor. Condition is obviously important, if it was mangled I would go with the better car regardless of the year....if the difference is 35k miles of rock chips and/or a door ding then that's another story. Assuming here that maintenance levels are the same as well (i.e. current).

The real question is what do you want to do with the car? The 97+ have significant improvements, but there are only a few 97+ coupes out there. Seems like the early models would be better track rat choices, but if you're concerned about it being mint I would assume you aren't going to track it. So, I would recommend the 97+ based on my assumption set :).

Thanks.
Your right, 45 000 miles on a NSX is not high. But I want a NSX without dent, not to much rock chips, no paint work and clean title. It's very hard to find a 1997 and + NSX with this kind of mileage without wear at good price (around 45k). So, for the same price I can have a 91-92 at very low miles. For sure I would prefer to have a 97 with the 3.2 and have less chance to have some problems fact it's not the first years and first problems was solved.

What I want to do with the car, it's very simple. It's just for used during the summer because I have already a S2000 since alomst 7 years and I do around 2 000km per summer. So with the NSX in stock, you can cut 1 000km to the S2K for the NSX. No plan to track it.

Thanks !
sorry for my poor english...lol

After two previous NSX's (1991 Berlina/Ivory and 2002 Imola Orange Pearl) I've now gone back to a 1991 Black on Black w/40k miles, CTSC, and basically stock. There's nothing wrong with going to a NA1 car (91-96) with the 5-speed manual.

The funny part is this car will be faster than my 02 Imola...LOL.

I would DEFINITELY get the 97, the 6-speed and other improvements are definitely worth the extra cash. The older cars with that low mileage are a gamble, it has been discussed on Prime plenty already so I won't go into it. A newer, regularly driven car with decent mileage that is well taken care of will be a much better bet. Also, since it will be a summer car only, I would assume you will want a targa. All your clues are pointing the same direction. :biggrin:

After seeing that nsx with 400k+ miles I'm not the least bit worried about mileage on honda's best car and their flagship for over a decade.

If u want to track the car, get the lightest 91 and 92. 97+ are almost all targa top. Good for cruising around. But it comes with a greater price tag for more weight and less safe chassis

Last edited:
Thanks !

Like I said I already have a S2000 for week-end summer cruise. So the targa it's not a must.

If a buy one with more mileage, like 45k, majority are not in mint condition specialy inside. So that's why Im looking for a 91-92 with very low mileage because they are like new inside and outside for the same price as a 1997 with 45k-50k miles with wear.

I always kept my cars in mint mint conditon inside and outside. I would have the samething for the NSX.

Untill now, I never found one like I want (97 with 45k miles at $45 000).
Do you think it's possible ?:frown:

Last edited:
well if you get the 1991-1992 yeah it has the 3.0L 270 hp and 5 speed tranny. for 23-29$ that extra money you have can go twords the things it will need if not done

TB/WP valve adjustments 2500,
def All 21 Coolant Hoses 200 for hoses and 800 labor,
maybe the clutch 1300 for the clutch and throwout bearing flywheel. and 1200 labor

all that and then the little stuff starts to add up real quick.

I have a 1992 in great condition. got the TB/WP Valves done
2000 NSX rims,
bra, new leather, little parts here and there and trust me they add up quick
I have had mine for almost a year and a half now and I added up all my reciepts from the dealer and the other stuff
the grand total is

$ 8500.00 and climbing.
I get a little scratch here replace the hole thing.
I get a little scratch there replace the whole thing ya know.

that not including the countless tires at almost 300 bucks each rear and 300 for the fronts.

maybe a little anal but its my car and my money ya know

but in the end you can't take it with you. and your loved ones will sell it to the first kid with cash so he can tear it up. so live it up I always say..

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
Im looking for a NSX. I would like to have your opinion.

Is it better to buy a older NSX with very low millage (1991 with 11 000 miles) in mint conditon, clean title or buy a newer NSX, I mean 1997 to 1999 with lot more millage (about 45 000 milles or more) and not necessary in mint conditon finally for the same price.

Thanks !

Jeff

Personally, if I was looking for an NSX, and I found a '91 with 11k miles on it in mint condition, I would jump on it. Some maintenance items are required on all NSXs if you own them for 6 years or more and all NSX's are at least 6 years old or older. The NSX does require a bit more than the S2000 in maintenance. My '91 is considered low mileage at 37k miles. Maintenance has been done and day to day maintenance is now minimal. I drive about 2000 miles, (3200kms) a year on the NSX and 4500kms on the S2000.

Have you been to prime market? Well then - did you not see Maknmoves yellow one with black interior at 43k I think it is. I think it would fit your bill.

Thanks !

Like I said I already have a S2000 for week-end summer cruise. So the targa it's not a must.

If a buy one with more mileage, like 45k, majority are not in mint condition specialy inside. So that's why Im looking for a 91-92 with very low mileage because they are like new inside and outside for the same price as a 1997 with 45k-50k miles with wear.

I always kept my cars in mint mint conditon inside and outside. I would have the samething for the NSX.

Untill now, I never found one like I want (97 with 45k miles at $45 000).
Do you think it's possible ?:frown:

Personally, if I was looking for an NSX, and I found a '91 with 11k miles on it in mint condition, I would jump on it. Some maintenance items are required on all NSXs if you own them for 6 years or more and all NSX's are at least 6 years old or older. The NSX does require a bit more than the S2000 in maintenance. My '91 is considered low mileage at 37k miles. Maintenance has been done and day to day maintenance is now minimal. I drive about 2000 miles, (3200kms) a year on the NSX and 4500kms on the S2000.

Wich one do you prefer ? I drove two time the NSX. I prefer the handling feeling of go-kart in my S2K, specialy with my Tein Monoflex coilover. I will never go back to stock suspension. But the look of the NSX...always impressive after 20 years !

I want a NSX just because it was my teenage dream car.:smile:
There is my garage queen since almost 7 years and for ever. I already have a front end CR conversion ready to install (Im waiting my ap2 front fenders liners) and a Veilside V1 rear lip.

dscn1979fr3.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly those of you saying "pay the extra cash for the 97+" didn't read the first post. The OP said price is the same between both cars. The criteria is the more mint car. In this case the choice would be the earlier car.

I will be a NSX owner next week :smile:

A GPW, 1992, Canadian NSX, 85 000km (53 000 miles), no accident, clean title, all maintenance done, 95 wheels, no dent, no scratch, original paint with great shape interior.

I will be a NSX owner next week :smile:

A GPW, 1992, Canadian NSX, 85 000km (53 000 miles), no accident, clean title, all maintenance done, 95 wheels, no dent, no scratch, original paint with great shape interior.

I'd hate to burst your bubble but if this is the 1992 white car from Halifax I'd be weary. Its got some weird discrepancies in its ownership and that's why I passed on it prior to buying my 91.

Run a Carfax or Canadian Autocheck and you'll see its got more than the 2 owners claimed and an odometer discrepancy.

I don't believe there is any service history on the car either...make sure you get a PPI done at another Acura dealer as this dealer principal owns the car.

I have the caproof with me. Can you explain me the problem that you saw ? Since I dont see anything except that Aircare intentionally excluded the odometer records. Is that the problem?

About the past owners, the car was sold in BC the first time and sold again to a Toronto owner, and this owner move is car in Halifax because he had a summer house there.

Actually, the owner of Atlantic Acura have the car since 2 years and is not registrated.

If you have more details, let me know asap.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jetpilot

It is actually my car you speak of. When you looked at the car a few months ago, I researched your "assumed" and unproven discrepancy. In fact Ontario air care reported in miles vs km. Being as I had all the service records on the car from 2004 I new just that. I own the local Acura dealership here in Halifax and the previous owner has been servicing it here. This is why carproof no longer reports any Ontario air care reports because the are almost always incorrect as even noted in section 1 page 5 of a carproof report. So....if you don't mind get your facts because I do.

Brian

Jeff_S2K in your title you show you have a TSX V6? huh? they are all 4Cly, did you do an engine swap or something? if you did do you have any pics. TSX with a V6 engine wow, they dont sell them like that, but your in Canada so maybe its different there.

nevermind they sell them here as the 2010 models. sorry

Last edited:
Jetpilot

It is actually my car you speak of. When you looked at the car a few months ago, I researched your "assumed" and unproven discrepancy. In fact Ontario air care reported in miles vs km. Being as I had all the service records on the car from 2004 I new just that. I own the local Acura dealership here in Halifax and the previous owner has been servicing it here. This is why carproof no longer reports any Ontario air care reports because the are almost always incorrect as even noted in section 1 page 5 of a carproof report. So....if you don't mind get your facts because I do.

Brian

Thanks for the clarification. When I ran the Canadian Car Proof or Autocheck report there was a discrepancy noted (miles and km) and it struck me as very odd that Ontario (known to work in KM made a mileage call using miles???). I've just ran thru my Gmail account to try and find the report and post it here but can't find it. I could have sworn the ownership showed 4 owners so that's why I passed. When you don't have a good gut feeling then don't proceed right.:wink:

Moving forward so long as Jeff_S2k and yourself are quite comfortable with the lack of ownership records from 91 to 2004 etc. etc. then by all means complete the deal. I was throwing the information up as that's what we do here on NSX Prime...help other owners. Trust me we've all seen guys hopped up and excited to nab a NSX rush into a deal whereby we see the "regret" or "problem" thread soon creep up.

The car could be pristine as Jeff noted.

Anyway...it's too late. I decide to let it go. But I feel very sad for Brian because I asked him lot, a lot of question and he gived me a really good collaboration and I chocked at the last minute...:frown:

I think I am too demanding. I realize that it's alomost impossible to have almost all paper work done to confirm the millage since 1992. But I not feel good if I not have it...

So, I have no choice to find a NSX with complete maintenance history or I will pay extra money and get a almost brand new 2005...

Jeff

no worries JF. You find the right car someday. You may be better off with say a 04-05 nsx. Less to consider and worry about. If you are every in my area stop bye and say hello.

Back