1987 Buick Grand National VS NSX

I bought my 87 Buick G.N right after the NSX came out. Did not have the hundred grand to buy a NSX , was happy to get the G.N , was a very respected street car at the time and had been discontinued so fewer and fewer were seen on the streets. Ran 12's with light mods and was quiet and rode great on the highway. Build quality was horrible. Sold it after 5 years and bought a 1969 gto 4speed hideaways ect ect then a vette then came the NSX .
I had alot of fun in that G.N showing the taillights to the local rich kids in their 911's

All NSXs are going to be quicker hands-down than all GNs except the 1987 GNX. The 1987 GNX was capable of a high 4 second 0-60 which is about where the NA2 NSX is. In the 1/4 mile the GNX could pull off a high-13/low-14 sec. run which is again right around where the NSX is.

The bottom line is that an NA2 NSX and a GNX are probably going to be very similar matchups.

The 1987 McLaren-produced GNX is an extremely quick (in a straight line) and rare (2000 units) car. One of the few modern cars that is actually appreciating in value. At the time it was the fastest 0-60 regular production sedan in the world and the fastest American-made car until the ZR-1 debuted in 1990.

Not until the C5 ZO6 did the GNX's performance get surpassed again by GM. It was also just as quick if not a bit quicker than the 1st gen Viper and only the 2nd gen Viper GTS (1996) was hands-down faster.

All NSXs are going to be quicker hands-down than all GNs except the 1987 GNX. The 1987 GNX was capable of a high 4 second 0-60 which is about where the NA2 NSX is. In the 1/4 mile the GNX could pull off a high-13/low-14 sec. run which is again right around where the NSX is.

The bottom line is that an NA2 NSX and a GNX are probably going to be very similar matchups.

The 1987 McLaren-produced GNX is an extremely quick (in a straight line) and rare (2000 units) car. One of the few modern cars that is actually appreciating in value. At the time it was the fastest 0-60 regular production sedan in the world and the fastest American-made car until the ZR-1 debuted in 1990.

Not until the C5 ZO6 did the GNX's performance get surpassed again by GM. It was also just as quick if not a bit quicker than the 1st gen Viper and only the 2nd gen Viper GTS (1996) was hands-down faster.
Even rarer than you think. Only 547 produced. http://www.gnregistry.org/resources.htm

The GN has a bigger trunk and a back seat. Point GN
The GN can find body parts at the scrap yard. Point GN
The GN comes with a turbo, so it must be super fast. Point GN
The GN can be traded in on a cash for clunkers program for something newer. Point GN

I think the Buick wins!!! :tongue:

No, no, no, you guys are all idiots. He's talking about how many cans of Bud Light you can chug while driving, crush on your forehead and toss into the back. Well since the NSX doesn't even have a back seat area, the Grand National wins hands down.

The GN has a bigger trunk and a back seat. Point GN
The GN can find body parts at the scrap yard. Point GN
The GN comes with a turbo, so it must be super fast. Point GN
The GN can be traded in on a cash for clunkers program for something newer. Point GN

I think the Buick wins!!! :tongue:

An NSX owner who has come over to the dark "GN" side. With my tuned suspension and performance mods, I'd be having NSX's for lunch on most race tracks. I just need to tune the transmission and get street/strip tires and P-GT3's watch out.

You are right. Nothing against this site in general. Its just that I am an old man and I can only handle so many "can my NSX take an AMC Pacer" threads before I start to cry :frown:

I guess now that the NSX can be had for "$15k salvage a good buy?" from the younger, newer members I need to adjust my line of thinking.

You could easily stop reading New & Prospective Owners / Car History / Comparisons if you didn't enjoy the posts.

My guess is that if you jumped into the topic something must have peaked your interest.

The NSX is one of the best cars I have ever owned, but I wouldn't slight anyone for owning a GN, or an AMC Pacer for that matter. If you are passionate about the vehicle and it provides you with some sense of pride for owning it then any auto enthuisiast should appreciate that.

Everybody's car is special!
richard_simmons.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread back to the top.....just so I can make it a 4some comparison advice = comparing the NSX to an S2K, Viper, 996 and the GN.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

well i have an 87 GN.... mid 11s in the 1/4 on 93 octane. My NSX is supposed to be arriving by next sat. Once i get it i will have a much better input.

and they will share the garage together til the buick is sold.

GN wins cause it's a better car to make "whoopee in." And that statement really dates me.....

i like the gn's saw one with a completely updated more modern interior few months back at an auction.l

Thought I'd resurrect this thread back to the top.....just so I can make it a 4some comparison advice = comparing the NSX to an S2K, Viper, 996 and the GN.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This one is very easy...

Viper
...then GN
...then 996
...then S2k
...then (insert car here)
...then NSX

(can we just sticky that in the prospective owners forum? seems like a good service) :tongue:

well i have an 87 GN.... mid 11s in the 1/4 on 93 octane. My NSX is supposed to be arriving by next sat. Once i get it i will have a much better input.

and they will share the garage together til the buick is sold.

Your GN sounds very similar to mine (11.80's @ 121)...... if your NSX is stock you won't be very happy with the acceleration. Keep the GN. I love my NSX but the GN will sure get it from a dig!

I read this whole damn thread thinking I was going to see some rationalization for why these two vehicles are included in the same sentence. I'm terribly disappointed.

I read this whole damn thread thinking I was going to see some rationalization for why these two vehicles are included in the same sentence. I'm terribly disappointed.

Take a look at post #15 to understand why this thread started in error. But there have been 40+ posts that seems to support some interest. Cougarcat is right, they are both 6 cylinders, and, lest we forget, both manufacturers have run the Indy 500. Both cars are available in black and the NSX can be turbocharged just like the GN bits it is from the factory. The big advantage over the NSX is, for old folks like me, getting in and out of the car. Lest not forget NSX-Barque comments about the "whoopee in" the spacious back seat. For some that can be so very very important. So admittedly different, you can actually get away with having the 2 cars in the same sentence. :wink::wink:

p.s. nice to see a few NSX/GN owners on this forum.....

Sid does that mean I need to get a GN? Naaaa, I have no where to put it. I like muscle cars though. Wish I had a 8 car garrage and the bucks to fill it. I'd have a bunch of em - 356 - 911 long hood 71 E, NSX NA1 and 2, a GN....mmmmm I'd have to think about that. :smile:

Sid does that mean I need to get a GN? Naaaa, I have no where to put it. I like muscle cars though. Wish I had a 8 car garrage and the bucks to fill it. I'd have a bunch of em - 356 - 911 long hood 71 E, NSX NA1 and 2, a GN....mmmmm I'd have to think about that. :smile:

When you compare my 2 cars its like looking at a big old tug boat compared to a sleek machine. But my GN gets all the looks and honks...NSX is definitely a guy magnet like others have posted in this forum. As for you buying one, you need to be old and like to go fast in a straight line :biggrin::biggrin: Then there is the space to keep it, NSX is tiny when compared to the GN. Cheers.

+1. I don't get it either. Why am I subscribed to this? The cars are totally different.

Edit - it's the whole "vs." thing. I mean are we really comparing these 2 vehicles? We could compare a GMC Cyclone & a Gallardo while we're at it.

Last edited:
+1. I don't get it either. Why am I subscribed to this? The cars are totally different.

Different? Perhaps. However, they both excel at what they were designed to do. NSX-----would be for the twisties. GN for sheer acceleration from a dig. Footbrake or t-brake a GN on stickies to 15 psi and let her rip:biggrin: That'd surely bring a smile to most any car enthusiast.

Attachments

• GN launch.jpg
    GN launch.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 176
Different? Perhaps. However, they both excel at what they were designed to do. NSX-----would be for the twisties. GN for sheer acceleration from a dig. Footbrake or t-brake a GN on stickies to 15 psi and let her rip:biggrin: That'd surely bring a smile to most any car enthusiast.

Yep....running 20 lbs of boost actually right now. Now if only I could build the transmission + 3,000 stall and get some stickies like my buddy.....would be keeping up with GT3's all day long. I sometimes wonder how much these NSX folks know about a tuned GN :wink::wink:

Back