• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18" rims OK on totally stock 1991?

Can I use 18" ft and rear rims on totally stock 1991? OR 17" all around, OR 17/18 F/R...what is the best? Anything I need to know before purchasing? recommendations on width, etc? Thanks for the help.

either of the setups you've mentioned will work fine, just make sure the offset of the wheels are correct, and the tire size is within the TCS range. Now you just need to pick out which wheel/tire combo you like best :)

I would not use 18" on the front. Tire availability is a big problem. And the sidewalls will be so short that the wheels may be easily damaged by potholes.

I would recommend either 17" front 18" rear, or 17" all around. (Or even 16" front 17" rear.)

17" all around will permit you to use the OEM tires (Bridgestone RE040) which were designed specifically for the NSX. These are available in 215/40-17 front, 255/40-17 rear.

If you use 17" front 18" rear, you can still use 215/40-17 in the front, but you will need to choose a general-application tire rather than one designed specifically for the NSX. You can find numerous tire choices in 255/35-18 or 265/35-18. (You'll want to use the same model tire front and rear, as is good practice on all cars.)

I would recommend the 17/18 set up. I just like the way the fronts look smaller than the rear. It visually reinforces the rear area of the car and suggests (reinforces) that the power is from behind the doors. I am using 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 with absolutely no problems with ABS or traction. Additionally, I have the Eibach pro-kit (lower by approx. 1") and I have never scrubbed. One more thing to consider, try to go for a wider width in the rear and depending on the manufacturer, it will have a wider lip on the rim, which looks awesome. As far as tires go, that will depend on your budget, if you have one, and driving habits. I have been using Kumho's for about 3 years on several vehicles. You can't beat them for the money. They are $83/$154 F/R from The Tirerack. I know some NSXers get rather emotional about their rubber and are all up into the Yoko's/Bridgestone's, etc. You'll have to eval. your real world driving environment. I drive somewhat aggressive, and have no complaints regarding handling, quiteness, and ride comfort. At 5000 miles, they are wearing extremely well. 1991 stock suspension settings.

BMillar said:
Can I use 18" ft and rear rims on totally stock 1991? OR 17" all around, OR 17/18 F/R...what is the best?
A lot of stuff will fit... what is "best" depends on your objectives. Many folks who fit +2 wheel/tire setups find that the stock tire/fender gap looks out of place with the taller-looking wheels.

The most common remedy for this is (aftermarket) lowering springs.

Back