17/18 best value

Offset critical?

We know that the offsets for the 2002+ stock wheels are:

55 mm front, 56 mm rear

yet I see all these aftermarket wheels offered in 30-48 mm offsets.

I had a bad experience with my CL55 - got some relatively inexpensive rims for winter tires with the (wrong) offset (36 mm vs 45mm stock) and I had all kinds of rubbing and bottoming problems. The manufacturer (Mandrus) took back the wheels and gave me full credit - good for them. It's too bad - I liked the way the wheels looked on the car but I am glad the manufacturer was honest even though their rep insisted that the wheels would fit the car (they do fit a CL500, btw, FWIW.)

I know there has been some discussion of this topic but isn't offset a very critical factor? Is there another way to compensate for it without adding on spacers, etc. that add to the unsprung weight? What good is a "value" wheel if the dimensions aren't correct? What good is a "custom wheel" - I'm poking fun at myself :eek: - if the dimensions aren't correct.

The folks who designed and built the NSX were no dummies....

Thanks
Ivanj

if you use 'search' it will give you answers to your offset questions and the reasons why- if you notice most aftermarket wheels used are wider so oem offsets do not apply. the choices that people list here are well known/used by them so no real issues exist (maybe at most some mild rubbing at full lock). not trying to be abrasive, just keeping the discussion relevant.

edit: PLEASE TRY TO ADHERE TO THE FINE LINE- WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR CHEAPEST CHOICES HERE, NOR THE MOST EXPENSIVE- LIGHT, STRONG, GOOD PRICE= GOOD VALUE

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not sure if these rims are something to brag about, but they would make great winter wheels at a very competitive price and are similar alternatives to the 02 style, if you don't mind second hand wheels. Here are some examples:

Fronts 17x7 45mm offset:
http://g35driver.com/forums/17-inch...05-g35-sedan-7-spoke-17-inch-wheels-tpms.html

Rears 18x8 30mm offset:
http://g35driver.com/forums/18-inch-fs-usa/294108-fs-oem-2004-g35-coupe-wheels-tires.html

Now, the fronts would either need some boring out as all G35 rims are supposed 66.1 mm centerbores. Or you could always run a 70.1mm centerbore spacer with optional hubring to fit the 66.1 rim. The hubring is optional as I have mounted rims without hubrings and if you mount them correctly balancing the lug tighting, there is minimal vibrations.

Yea, seems mindless to use OEM infiniti rims, but look at the prices. If you bought each set and split between two NSXers, you would pay about at most $400 per 17/18 set for these nice gloss gunmetal 7 spoke wheels with some nice concavity. OEM rims are known for quality, hence why the manufacturer chose them and I'd image the 17 are 18-20 lbs and the 18s are 23-25lbs, which are not bad. I wouldn't mind grabbing a set for ~$400 in total and use them as winter wheels or stock replacements. The non agressive width/offets combinations are similar to oem stock offsets and could even allow one inch spacers for fronts and back, if you are lowered of course.

IDK, I was wandering the G35 wheels for sale section and I noticed the sedans and coupes have similar design wheels but different sizes. It's a stretch, I know lol.

The problem with G35 rims (besides going from forged OEM rims to heavier, cast, bored out Nissan rims) is that they will have no resale value once you're done with them. That's not value.

they do look very similar to 02s. too bad there is no 18x9 for rear.

Yea, it is pretty narrow. A winter/all season 245 on the rear would make it an excellent winter wheel tho. Alot cheaper and better tire selections too for this narrow size. Save the nice wheels for summer.

The problem with G35 rims (besides going from forged OEM rims to heavier, cast, bored out Nissan rims) is that they will have no resale value once you're done with them. That's not value.

Well, it's not like you could sell one pair of each wheels anyways. I guess you could sell the set to another NSXer, but for how cheap they are when you get them, it's really no point in reselling them, but you could get something for them from someone.

But again, just an idea that came across. I've considered it for the future...

Last edited:
They don't sell these wheels anymore but they fit in your category. If you can find them used then might fit your need.

SSR Competition
17x7.5 with a 42 mm offset, 13lbs
18x9.5 with a 50 mm offset, 19lbs

Tirerack was selling them for about $1200 back in 2004.

I love them. :cool:

Found this desc somewhere...
These wheels are lightweight, yet strong; they feature high-tech semi-solid forged construction, which has been heat-treated and shot-peened for superior characteristics. These wheels have a 2-piece hybrid construction, using a semi-solid forged center, which has been precision lap-welded to a forged rim section 50% stronger with a 9% increase in hardness.

P1030625.jpg

Back