15 years old Classic car question

My friend just bought an 1991 Nissan GTR Skyline, and i was at the Ministry of Transportation today, we were told that once the car get past 15 years old(to be a classic), they dont need to be emission test every year.
In that case, the supercharger guys can run with a high flow cat or even with a test pipe without getting tickets.(i know running with test pipe is bad) but i still want to know if this information is true, so the cops cannot charge u anything becasue u are driving a CLASSIC(they cant cahrge u even your car is too low, Not dot appove tires.........etc... if all these are valid, i can go crazy and start buying more parts, and wait for 2007 to come (i have a 92):biggrin:

Hmm...thats odd, because I have a GTR as well, and I had to get it etested and passed with safety before it could be registered.

thats when u import it, but once u make the car "classic"title, u dont have to anymore
and cheaper insurance too

O RLY?

They told me I need to renew it every two years like all the rest.

Etesting mine was a pita...fireballs out the exhaust kept lighting their test equipment on fire!

Tell your friend to come to the GPT Expo at the Molson Indy this weekend, we're having our annual Skyline Meet. He should also stop by my webpage: GTRCanada.com (shameless plug).

John
:biggrin:

I believe its 20 years old that makes it not require e-testing - I'm waiting for next year on my track car so I won't need an e-test (so I won't need to run it on dealer plates)

Wait! I like running it on dealer plates!

OK, so I don't give a sh1t! :)

Aren't there a lot of restrictions once a car is in "classic" designation? I thought there was a separate plate you could get, which qualifies you for super cheap insurance but then there are huge mileage restrictions etc? Maybe this is totally separate from the e-testing thing though. I know on my 91 I still had to get an emissions check this year.

The car has to be 25yrs old, and something like 90 or 95 percent stock in order for it to get classic car status, I heard if it is all changed that you cannot register it as a classic. The 15 year thing just means that you can import a car from japan without any major modifications to insure it here.

Back