119970 miles on a 1991 NSX JH4NA1156MT000137

Yes, if you read my reply (I hate Quoting myself :tongue: )

"Not a great price for the 119k miles unless the rest of the car is perfect.
Do you have the money for a motor rebuild? and Maintenance?"

If the rest of the car is "perfect" like maintenance records, 1 owner car, clean carfax, do you know the owner, ect............

Than the unforeseeable crank failure happens :eek: Did you just put all your money into buying or financing a car you can't afford to fix?

The NSX is a rare car. You can't go to your local pick & pull and get a used motor, crank, ect.....

No rebuilt parts from the factory? Nothing :confused:

I just found an '03 3.2L complete motor W/6k miles BUT for $12k :eek:

Makes that ~$20k '91 NSX look a little more expensive.

And to the Bat, The NSX is nothing like the Rx. We blow a seal and most likely nothing metal touched anything. So New housings ~$700 (if you want them), apex seals, and a ~$900 full gasket kit (but we know most of them are reusable) bought straight from the MazdaSpeed store (some assembly required) and we have a NEW motor.

Or just call up any Mazda dealer for ~$2200.00+core and get a re-manufactured motor W/ warranty. :biggrin:

The NSX has almost no support from Honda Ahh.........I mean Acura? So your on your own.

Can't believe somebody doesn't fill the niche of importing NSX motors and other J-Spec stuff like for the 7s.

Jeff, I'm not sure what that point has with NSX pricing.

The same risk exists with nearly every exotic and rare cars. If you have a Labmorghini Countach and bend a few valves, same scenario. Does that mean the Countach should be worth less because you can't go to the factory and ask them to build you new parts?

The availability of factory warranty / parts / service are a separate subject from the price of an exotic /rare car, imho. Otherwise we'd see these super rare / exotic cars at Barrett Jackson be worth not much more than the individual mechanical components they're made of.

And to counter your point, the $12k engine actually makes the $20k NSX seem super cheap. Imagine you could buy a decent NSX for $20k, and sell the engine alone for $12k. I imagine the rest of the parts would be worth far more than $8k.

So on the most likely chance the $20k NSX engine is not going to blow at 130k or even 200k, then that $20k price seems to be way too low.

Jeff, I'm not sure what that point has with NSX pricing.

The same risk exists with nearly every exotic and rare cars. If you have a Labmorghini Countach and bend a few valves, same scenario. Does that mean the Countach should be worth less because you can't go to the factory and ask them to build you new parts?

YES, this is EXACTLY my point. Most of the advise I've read on this site is the NSX is a totally reliable daily driver.

And it's a Honda and "Honda = reliability".

This is not a slam to the car in any way. I like my NSX but so many people are giving this "no problem its a Honda" it will run forever.

As the lower the purchase price gets watch how many none running NSXs we will see that need parts.

I have never been told that a Countach is a great daily driver. But have you seen the kit to retrofit a Chevy small block in it :smile:

YES, this is EXACTLY my point. Most of the advise I've read on this site is the NSX is a totally reliable daily driver.

And it's a Honda and "Honda = reliability".

This is not a slam to the car in any way. I like my NSX but so many people are giving this "no problem its a Honda" it will run forever.

As the lower the purchase price gets watch how many none running NSXs we will see that need parts.

I have never been told that a Countach is a great daily driver. But have you seen the kit to retrofit a Chevy small block in it :smile:
Ok just so I make sure I don't mis-interpret you, are you saying that a car is worth less because of how hard it is to get replacement parts?

If I have understood you correctly, then that flies against the face of reality, where super rare sports cars are worth far more than the sum of their mechanical parts.

Am I missing something here?

If I have understood you correctly, then that flies against the face of reality, where super rare sports cars are worth far more than the sum of their mechanical parts.

No, I think you got it.

Read some of the above posts and other "should I buy this car" Threads.

Somebody will always point out what a reliable daily driver the NSX makes.

Now To me the car is worth a lot less as I intend on driving mine :smile: and using the throttle like a switch at every HPDE I can make.

I was not put on this Earth to preserve a pseudo exotic Honda.

But if your idea of a great car is something to rub with a diaper, admire in the garage, and boast to your buddies what a cool car you have than an exotic is what you NEED.

You see "that guy" at the clubs in the F-car jacket :cool: is that you?

No, I think you got it.

Read some of the above posts and other "should I buy this car" Threads.

Somebody will always point out what a reliable daily driver the NSX makes.

Now To me the car is worth a lot less as I intend on driving mine :smile: and using the throttle like a switch at every HPDE I can make.

I was not put on this Earth to preserve a pseudo exotic Honda.

But if your idea of a great car is something to rub with a diaper, admire in the garage, and boast to your buddies what a cool car you have than an exotic is what you NEED.

You see "that guy" at the clubs in the F-car jacket :cool: is that you?
Sorry Jeff you lost me.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but trying to understand your logic.

This thread is about the price of a NSX with certain miles. Nothing about "daily driver" or "racing" or any such elements have come into the equation with regards to the price so far as I can tell.

The price is set by the market, supply and demand, and has nothing to do with the NSX as a daily driver status.

Now if there's a "Jeff Shoots" NSX pricing guide that is more accurate than the NSX FAQ Pricing Guide, then I'd love to see it published and used as the holy bible for all future NSX sales.

So according to the philosophy as confirmed by you, the rarer a car gets, the less it's worth.

If that is true, then I guess I must be seeing an alternate reality of car pricing.

This has nothing to do with me wanting to preserve a car for sentimental sake. It has everything to do with what the market is willing to pay for a rare car.

If the market is all and only Jeff Shoots, I guess your logic rules.

And while I'm sincerely flattered that you think of me as belonging to some F-Club, I'm just not quite sure what that has to do with the true market value of an NSX.

Sorry Jeff you lost me.

I'll try and make it as simple as I can. To a new NSX buyer I would let them know:

The cars purchase price is just the entry fee.

I'll try and make it as simple as I can. To a new NSX buyer I would let them know:

The cars purchase price is just the entry fee.

which is the same philosophy applicable to ANY used car purchase :confused:

which is the same philosophy applicable to ANY used car purchase :confused:

Correct, but NsXMas is trying to convince me my rare NSX is going to make me money :confused:

And NSXs don't depreciate like every other production Japanese car made.

Oh, and that parts that are hard to find and expensive

IS A GOOD THING

Correct, but NsXMas is trying to convince me my rare NSX is going to make me money :confused:

And NSXs don't depreciate like every other production Japanese car made.
Jeff, may I ask how old you are?

Have you ever taken an economics course?

This is not a personal attack. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

I understand that you're the admin of some RX7 website and that's really great and impressive. I just want to understand your role as the judge of car values.

Oh, and that parts that are hard to find and expensive

IS A GOOD THING

Hmmm, I don't recall saying expensive parts are a good thing. Or that the NSX will make you money.

I distinctly just recall talking only about the true market value of the NSX, based upon drivers such as exclusivity and the data points from the NSX FAQ pricing guide.

Let me re-read my posts and see if I've goofed up there somewhere. Sometimes those fingers can slip while I type so fast.

This is not a personal attack. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

I don't consider anything you have said a personal attack.

What I do is no concern of yours. If you question my logic. I can tell you my employees sell thousands of dollars just in your state alone.

And you pay me too :tongue:

Your trying to push a textbook "supply vs demand" that just doesn't lend itself to production cars.

You want to make a '91 MORE attractive than it is. It's just a used car and 15+ years old.

Do you think the 2005 NSXs are going up in value too :smile:
Cars are not a good investment but I do enjoy them.
Hope you do too, Later, Jeff

I don't consider anything you have said a personal attack.

What I do is no concern of yours. If you question my logic. I can tell you my employees sell thousands of dollars just in your state alone.

And you pay me too :tongue:

Your trying to push a textbook "supply vs demand" that just doesn't lend itself to production cars.

You want to make a '91 MORE attractive than it is. It's just a used car and 15+ years old.

Do you think the 2005 NSXs are going up in value too :smile:
Cars are not a good investment but I do enjoy them.
Hope you do too, Later, Jeff
I'm glad we're having this productive conversation.

I'm sure I pay you, and your employees of thousands. :smile:

I'm curious about what you do because of your unique perspective on car values. I'm pretty sure you're not the guy at www.jeffshoots.com but maybe I'm wrong. Unless you're in Bangkok right now which would explain somewhat your take on car values.

This thread is just about 91's. If you'd like to discuss 2005's, I'd be happy to if you'll start another thread about them. For the record I like the pop-up lights better so the 2002+ are not so attractive to me as the 91's.

And FYI I'm not trying to make the 91's into anything other than what it is - a 91 NSX and it's true market value. I'm not sure how that's making it more attractive than what it is, but maybe just talking about supply and demand makes it sexy?

You know what, a 1993 McLaren F1 is also just a used car, and it's 14+ years old. The price of entry for a F1 is thousands of times more than the NSX. It must not be worth very much then.

Cheers.

I'm glad we're having this productive conversation.

I'm sure I pay you, and your employees of thousands. :smile:

I'm curious about what you do because of your unique perspective on car values. I'm pretty sure you're not the guy at www.jeffshoots.com but maybe I'm wrong. Unless you're in Bangkok right now which would explain somewhat your take on car values.

You need to read it again "employees of thousands" :confused: Just think of me when you pay your taxes.

Don't know about the "real" jeffshoots but that's just not my style.\

I like the pop-ups too but would trade for something lighter.

You need to read it again "employees of thousands" :confused: Just think of me when you pay your taxes.

Don't know about the "real" jeffshoots but that's just not my style.\

I like the pop-ups too but would trade for something lighter.

I see you work for the government.

I used to contract for the government so I got a bit of the tax dollars.

I also used to charge people so that they could pay their taxes on time.

Isn't it lovely how we all make money?

The only thing that I didn't like so much is that while our economy is capitalism based, most of the agencies of the government are not. Maybe that's why some of the policies and attitudes of the government filters down to those working for them.

Anyway sorry for going off topic. Thanks for the education you gave me. I am much more enlightened now. :)

I see you work for the government.

Nothing "directly" for the Government but don't we all work for the Government anyway :tongue:

I haven't spent alot of time researching the value of the NSX relative to it's depreciation rates.

I know that the FD has gone up. Last time I checked on kbb.com my FD with 250k miles was worth $15k retail. Trade in was at $10k~

That's pretty impressive for any car that's 14 years old.

First off - the car must have its timing belt and water pump done! Also - cam plugs and all seals must also be done too!! I would expect these done for a car that is stock with an asking price of $23,000. Now if there are mods on the car such as suspension and exhaust...then the car - if it has had the water pump done etc - should go for about $25-29,000. Make sure that the key areas of the engine have been done - also, check the interior of the car...if its beaten up and torn...then pass on the car.

So ends my sermon:cool:

I haven't spent alot of time researching the value of the NSX relative to it's depreciation rates.

I know that the FD has gone up. Last time I checked on kbb.com my FD with 250k miles was worth $15k retail. Trade in was at $10k~

That's pretty impressive for any car that's 14 years old.

I wouldn't follow KBB for specialty and semi-rare cars. Also, KBB only accounts for mileage up to a point. A 93 RX-7 with 150k miles will have the same value as a 93 RX-7 with 250k miles, according to KBB. Of course we know in the real world, you probably won't be able to get $15k for the 250k mile FD.

Back