119970 miles on a 1991 NSX JH4NA1156MT000137

Is that a good purchase for asking price of 22999?

Does anyone have a carfax that could help me out?

VIN JH4NA1156MT000137

Thanks

Re: 119970miles on a 1991 NSX

That is VERY close to what I purchased mine for. Mine had 114k on it at the time and needed (still needs) some work. What is the condition, anything wrong with it?

Not a great price for the 119k miles unless the rest of the car is perfect.

Do you have the money for a motor rebuild? and Maintenance?

Is that a good purchase for asking price of 22999?

Does anyone have a carfax that could help me out?

VIN JH4NA1156MT000137

Thanks

IMHO It a good price if the car is in good condition (looks good) and has all its maintenance up to date. If it needs paint and has defered maintenance then it’s a little high. The mileage is of no real concern, as long as it has had regular oil changes. There is almost no one who has ever warn out an NSX engine even after 250,000 to 300,000 mi.

The mileage is of no real concern, as long as it has had regular oil changes. There is almost no one who has ever warn out an NSX engine even after 250,000 to 300,000 mi.

Hahahaaa................I heard that same crap before I got mine with only 102k and now 106k FULL MOTOR REBIULD with chunks of aluminum floating in the oil pan :eek:

So far no explanation other than "this doesn't happen" but Shad called it with one phone call. Aluminum in oil pan = bad slop in the crank that takes out the rods, crank, ect.....................

Maybe had the oil changed at a Jiffy lube or......................

And my car was a daily driver with all the maintenance done and ONE track day by me and the car ran strong.

Re: 119970 miles on a 1991 NSX

Hahahaaa................I heard that same crap before I got mine with only 102k and now 106k FULL MOTOR REBIULD with chunks of aluminum floating in the oil pan

Poor example.

In fact, it means that since you had a very scant 4K miles of history, you probably bought an abused engine. And Shad is right "it doesn't happen". Unfortunately, the fact that it happened to you means that the car was dumped on you.

Sad and I'm sorry, but that is the size of it.

BTW: $23K is fine for a car that is nicely taken care of. Spend money on a pre-purchase inspection. For a nominal fee you can have the oil analyzed for debris and you should be able to avoid what happened to Jeff.

IMHO It a good price if the car is in good condition (looks good) and has all its maintenance up to date. If it needs paint and has defered maintenance then it’s a little high. The mileage is of no real concern, as long as it has had regular oil changes. There is almost no one who has ever warn out an NSX engine even after 250,000 to 300,000 mi.

I Agee 100% look at the whole picture, repair records being the key.

Hahahaaa................I heard that same crap before I got mine with only 102k and now 106k FULL MOTOR REBIULD with chunks of aluminum floating in the oil pan :eek:

So far no explanation other than "this doesn't happen" but Shad called it with one phone call. Aluminum in oil pan = bad slop in the crank that takes out the rods, crank, ect.....................

Maybe had the oil changed at a Jiffy lube or......................

And my car was a daily driver with all the maintenance done and ONE track day by me and the car ran strong.

Other than its F1 motors, there isn't a Honda engine on the planet that explodes at 100k miles unless it has been severly abused & neglected. Track use could be considered "abused" but lots of guys have put tons of track miles on their NSXs with very limited NA engine problems. Don't focus too much on mileage -- focus on CONDITION.

Jeffshoots - you bought a shit car, which is in large part your fault. Don't pollute an otherwise honest thread with your stupidity and bad luck.

For the original poster - I'm not a 91 NSX value expert, but as it relates to MILEAGE you shouldn't be concerned. Just do everything you can to make sure the engine & car has been well maintained.

Poor example.

In fact, it means that since you had a very scant 4K miles of history, you probably bought an abused engine. And Shad is right "it doesn't happen". Unfortunately, the fact that it happened to you means that the car was dumped on you.

Sorry, the car was a Florida car traded in at an Acura dealer and was sold to my best friend at 78k miles. I had driven the car with him on the test drive till the day he sold it to me. He had no where to store the car so it was in my garage most on it's life from 78k on.

And before anyone asks it was STOCK, STOCK, and stock from the air filter to the exhaust. Only thing ever changed out was the snap ring trans and that was by my friend at ~91k so that leads me to believe that the car was never abused having a snap ring trans lasting till 90+k miles :tongue:

The car also had all the 60k and 90k maintenance done.

So the car wasn't DUMPED on anyone.

I think some of you giving advise might reconsider "SOME NSXs go 250k but we have exceptions".

BLKNSX-1.jpg

I would call the service shop that serviced the car previously and speak to the techs that have worked on it. May not give you the complete history since the mileage is so high (could be a number of places if it had numerous owners) but a good indication of how recently the car was serviced/cared for.

Read this thread if you're concerned with mileage. It'll make you feel better. :wink:

since the mileage is so high

119K is high mileage? LOL. I have 180,000 on mine and it's still not fully broken in. Of course it's been lovingly maintained and driven every day.

If JeffShoot's was was serviced by a dealer that could be part of the problem. I bought my car 3 1/2 years ago with 70,000 miles and it came with every receipt and service record from the dealer in Jacksonville where it spent most of it's life before we got married. When I took it to MCA for the timing belt/water etc... Mike showed me that the valve covers were never removed, the car still had the original air and oil filters. The previous owners were charged for 30K and 60K services by the dealers but the only thing they ever did to the car was change the oil and filter.

Bottom line is that if this particular '91 is in great shape and passes a full PPI with a compression leakdown test and the snap ring issue can be verified then it is a fair price. Remember boys and girls, these things are out of production and values will rise a bit. It's just like having a celebrity's autograph. Once they croak the value rises.

Jeffshoots - you bought a shit car, which is in large part your fault.......with your stupidity......

you must feel like a big man behind that keyboard :wink:

You could just wish me luck with my motor build and let the guy know some machines fail so with a high mileage car keep some money in reserve.

Later, Jeff

BTW: don't worry about my feelings I deal with breaking egos daily :rolleyes:

i bought my when it has 133000miles and after about 1000 miles i had these serious problems:
1.clutch
2.oil change
3.and finaly in about 1500 miles to repair all the engine because 2 pistons cracked:mad: :frown: now i bought all the engine parts new but count this is it worth to buy nsx with a lot of miles on it cheap and have a lot of modifications or to earn some $ and to buy with about 50000 on it.
(i bought my 92 berlina black for 28800$ but now with some replacements and str i put in about 31000$ till today.)

If JeffShoot's was was serviced by a dealer that could be part of the problem. I bought my car 3 1/2 years ago with 70,000 miles and it came with every receipt and service record from the dealer in Jacksonville where it spent most of it's life before we got married. When I took it to MCA for the timing belt/water etc... Mike showed me that the valve covers were never removed, the car still had the original air and oil filters. The previous owners were charged for 30K and 60K services by the dealers but the only thing they ever did to the car was change the oil and filter.

Hugh, It's cool. We checked out each and every part. The work was done. A few things done sloppy. A seal not pushed completely flat (leaked), oil pan overtightened (leaked) but all and all the water pump was a new style and cover, newer timing belt....

Looks like the main thing was a crank shim. No way anyone could have found this without taking the motor down.
The car just ran so strong 2 weekends ago STOCK. I was just going to add an accusump and fix the oil pan leak :tongue:

Now it just pushes me to do the FI build I've been collecting parts for.
I see a turboed 3.3L on 3.2L crank&rods with an OS Giken 6-speed :biggrin:

I just think when we (Prime Members) give advise to a new owner maybe error on the side of "it could happen to you".

Later

.....Jeffshoots - you bought a shit car, which is in large part your fault. Don't pollute an otherwise honest thread with your stupidity and bad luck......

If u only knew what Jeffshoots does for a living...... and who he knows.

If u only knew what Jeffshoots does for a living...... and who he knows.

What does that have to do with this thread:confused:

I would say any used car has the potential for issues. You need to get a PPI and oil analysis/compression testing. Otherwise, You are rolling the dice IMHO.

Btw, Jeff - Sorry for your bad luck. You have a good attitude. Think of it as a golden oppourtunity to mod your NSX.:biggrin:

Not a great price for the 119k miles unless the rest of the car is perfect.

Do you have the money for a motor rebuild? and Maintenance?
Jeff - what would you consider a great price then?

Now I understand you have been soured by your own experience, but keep in mind that the 91's are getting more limited, and price is ultimately dictated by supply and demand.

imho - unless there are hundreds of pristine 91's out there competing for the buyer's dollars, the scarcity of the supply will dictate the price more than any other factor.

Keep in mind the average mileage for a 16 year old NSX is going to be around 80k miles. 119k is not a huge deviation from the average mileage, that's only about 7.3 ~ 7.5 k miles per year versus 5k per year. If 119k is a ton of miles, then that's saying the average NSX is really not a good deal and needs to be treated like a time bomb.

From the overwhelming evidence so far it seems to not be the case.

From the FAQ for pricing:

An NSX in C condition: "Average condition and average to higher miles. Shows wear. May have some deferred maintenance" should go for $25 - $30k. Now barring any other information and assuming this NSX falls in category C due to slightly higher mileage than average, it's worth at least $25k.

Also keep in mind earlier NSX values may have risen since the FAQ was written due to the smaller supply of 91's availabe as time goes on, I'd say if the buyer gets the 119k mile NSX for $23k it's a great deal.

If according to you the rest of the car is perfect then the condition would be A or B, in which case the appropriate price would be $30-$35k, according to the FAQ.

Help me understand if for some reason the FAQ pricing guide has become obsolete and you have an inside track to NSX pricing.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jeff - what would you consider a great price then?

Now I understand you have been soured by your own experience, but keep in mind that the 91's are getting more limited, and price is ultimately dictated by supply and demand.

From the FAQ for pricing:

An NSX in C condition: "Average condition and average to higher miles. Shows wear. May have some deferred maintenance" should go for $25 - $30k. Now barring any other information and assuming this NSX falls in category C due to slightly higher mileage than average, it's worth at least $25k.

As I stated the car was/has been in my possession from about ~70k on. My friend had no storage for the car and only drove the car on the weekends so it sat in my garage.

The original dealer that sold him the car 4-5 years ago wanted $29k but over a month he negotiated it down to $23k.

I did drive it and at one point my buddy decided he didn't want to pay the insurance anymore (he got a ticket) and had little use for it. He also found out how expensive it was to maintenance, clutch, snap ring trans, climate control went out, tires, Bose stereo.......

This car may get less and less expensive to purchase but many new buyers are in for a HUGE surprise when it's time to fix something

So, being single having 4 cars and a motorcycle I bought the car :confused: for a track toy. I was growing tired of changing out motors on my single turbo 3rd Gen '94 Rx-7 anyway :smile:

So a buddy to buddy deal was 18k besides he did owe me something for storage and driving it to keep the battery up:tongue:

Ski_Banker said:
My apologies... 'twas a late night following an eventful weekend. Good luck on your motor rebuild. :smile:

No apologies needed, No hard feelings. We all have bad days and being an Administrator on the Rx7club for over 8+ years you have to have a thick skin and I find keyboard commandos comments just plain funny :eek:

Thanks for the luck too. So far I'm going to need it. I've been trying to source a 3.2L crank to match a set of rods Rob Morrison prepped for me in anticipation for a 3.3L FI build.

ANYONE, PLEASE PM me if you have a 3.2L crank for sale.

Thanks, Jeff

Keep in mind the average mileage for a 16 year old NSX is going to be around 80k miles. 119k is not a huge deviation from the average mileage
50 percent higher mileage than average is substantially higher.

I haven't heard anyone say anything about whether the timing belt and water pump and cooling system hoses on the car for sale were changed, or anything else about how the car has been maintained. Also nothing about the car's condition - not just mechanical condition, but things like the exterior finish, the interior leather, etc.

Last edited:

.......I did drive it and at one point my buddy decided he didn't want to pay the insurance anymore (he got a ticket) and had little use for it. He also found out how expensive it was to maintenance, clutch, snap ring trans, climate control went out, tires, Bose stereo.......

This car may get less and less expensive to purchase but many new buyers are in for a HUGE surprise when it's time to fix something......

Thanks, Jeff

Ur scaring me on my recent NSX purchase and yet making me feel better about my FD. :)

50 percent higher mileage than average is substantially higher.

I haven't heard anyone say anything about whether the timing belt and water pump and cooling system hoses on the car for sale were changed, or anything else about how the car has been maintained. Also nothing about the car's condition - not just mechanical condition, but things like the exterior finish, the interior leather, etc.

Ken, according to the FAQ, 10k miles per year is considered high. So grade D would imply 10k miles or more. Therefore, I am translating that to mean that Grade C = avg miles to less than high miles. I know it can be a fluid measurement but that when considering 7.5k miles per year I think it sounds reasonable.

Barring anything else, as I stated earlier, grade C seems reasonable to apply to the vehicle. Which would mean $25k - $30k (even D's which would imply 10k miles per year is in that category), would you agree? Or have the 91's depreciated more with the continued extra mileage as time accumulates? I've heard that the 91's have all but stopped depreciating, so normal mileage in general shouldn't be as much of a factor, I would think.

The primary issue or question I had was that Jeff stated solely based upon the mileage aone that $23k was not a great deal. That appears to contradict the FAQ pricing, without further knowledge of the car. That is the key issue that I wanted to address.

The primary issue or question I had was that Jeff stated solely based upon the mileage aone that $23k was not a great deal. That appears to contradict the FAQ pricing, without further knowledge of the car. That is the key issue that I wanted to address.

Yes, if you read my reply (I hate Quoting myself :tongue: )

"Not a great price for the 119k miles unless the rest of the car is perfect.
Do you have the money for a motor rebuild? and Maintenance?"

If the rest of the car is "perfect" like maintenance records, 1 owner car, clean carfax, do you know the owner, ect............

Than the unforeseeable crank failure happens :eek: Did you just put all your money into buying or financing a car you can't afford to fix?

The NSX is a rare car. You can't go to your local pick & pull and get a used motor, crank, ect.....

No rebuilt parts from the factory? Nothing :confused:

I just found an '03 3.2L complete motor W/6k miles BUT for $12k :eek:

Makes that ~$20k '91 NSX look a little more expensive.

And to the Bat, The NSX is nothing like the Rx. We blow a seal and most likely nothing metal touched anything. So New housings ~$700 (if you want them), apex seals, and a ~$900 full gasket kit (but we know most of them are reusable) bought straight from the MazdaSpeed store (some assembly required) and we have a NEW motor.

Or just call up any Mazda dealer for ~$2200.00+core and get a re-manufactured motor W/ warranty. :biggrin:

The NSX has almost no support from Honda Ahh.........I mean Acura? So your on your own.

Can't believe somebody doesn't fill the niche of importing NSX motors and other J-Spec stuff like for the 7s.

Back