100 octane vs. 110?

I'm filling up tomorrow. The place sells unleaded 100 octane, and leaded 110, 116, and 120 octane. Is it damaging to use the leaded higher octane? Better? break even?

bbsc otherwise stock..

you running cats? leaded gas will damage the cats...

When I was running test pipes replacing my cats, I would run the highest octane leaded race gas I could get, 116. This allowed me to add 2 gallons to a full tank and never have any knock issues. This was with a low boost CTSC and the stock timing set up. When I ran the same mix with 100 octane leaded, I would get some knock on hot days, so I would take 2 gallons of 100 gas with me to the track and put that in when I filled the car with 92 octane pump gas at lunch.

It was cheaper to go with the 2 gallons 116 octane, cost $5.95/gal, instead of 4 gallons 100 octane, cost $4.95/gal. The down side is pollution, so now I am running pump gas with my cats and have an AEM to pull timing to prevent knock instead of the increased octane.

No problem, I am sure over time there will be a build up of lead, but they kept working for me.

GlowNSX said:
I hope that everyone realizes that if your car does not have heavy mods the higher octane will not boost performance.
Correct, for a stock NSX ECU, there is no way for the car to take advantge of the increased octane. When the effective compression ratio is increased with FI, the octane does not increase performance, it reduces or prevents pre-detination. This is about protecting the motor. With a programable ECU, it is possible to take advantage of the increased octane and re-tune the engine to create more power.

I guess there could be an argument that if the motor is knocking, it is not making as much power...but I think that is obvious!

Thanks.

I would like to add that the mods would have to be so extensive for a 100+ octane to make a performance difference you would be in a race car and rebuilding your engine regularly.

yeah, if your car is knocking its not high performance. Get the valves fixed and you will feel the increase in performance.

Give the enviroment a break...running high octane leaded race fuel is just being a poser.

Im not trying to knock anyone I just wanted to set some misconceptions straight.

Jason

i'd like to think i'm not a poser (poser of what, btw..?). I'd also like to think I can give as many rides as requested during nsxpo, hitting 8000 rpm/8+ psi and not have to worry as much about potential problems.. which is why i opted for my first (and at $85/fillup my last) tank of 100.

peiserg said:
I'm filling up tomorrow. The place sells unleaded 100 octane, and leaded 110, 116, and 120 octane. Is it damaging to use the leaded higher octane? Better? break even?

bbsc otherwise stock..

Running the 100oct is a good idea. This will give you some cushion if you are really hot lapping the car. You can however, have the car re-tuned for 100 octane, that will yield some additional power.

Running leaded gas is not a good idea unless you are specifically tuned for it and you are no longer running factory o2s.

peiserg said:
i'd like to think i'm not a poser (poser of what, btw..?). I'd also like to think I can give as many rides as requested during nsxpo, hitting 8000 rpm/8+ psi and not have to worry as much about potential problems.. which is why i opted for my first (and at $85/fillup my last) tank of 100.

Id like a spin. Ive never been in a BBSC; I have the CTSC and would like to see the difference :biggrin:

no problemo. That's why i filled up. BTW i want a ride in your car since i've never been in a ctsc's vehicle... But seems like you have some other goodies which i don't have.. *cough* nsx-r tranny

Didnt mean to offend anyone. I am sure running 100 octane unleaded is a good idea even if it is overkill.

I just feel obligated to let poeple know that higher octane doesnt equal more performance. The higher octane will burn cleaner and cooler than lower octane. That is why you can mod your engine up and it will prevent it from blowing up.

Good luck with the car. I would love to see some pics of your BBSC. I love the way it fits in the engine compartment. Have you had any issues with it?

Thanks,
Jason

no offense taken. The 100 octane is simply so i can hit redline approx. 652 times during nsxpo and not have to worry.

i know i can have the car retuned for more power (my friend's supra turbo made a dyno-graphed 52 hp extra with 100 octane!) but since i likely won't use it much, i'll stick with my safe tune..

How much is 100 octane going for nowadays?

looks like someone bumped this post but so ill just add somthing. The 100 octane with deffinetely make a difference performance wise, it will help with detonation, and will alow for more boost therefore increasing performance.
Good night

$3.99 here in MPLS I believe. Not too familiar, I always run C16, but its hurts sometimes.:biggrin:

GlowNSX said:
Thanks.

I would like to add that the mods would have to be so extensive for a 100+ octane to make a performance difference you would be in a race car and rebuilding your engine regularly.

yeah, if your car is knocking its not high performance. Get the valves fixed and you will feel the increase in performance.

Give the enviroment a break...running high octane leaded race fuel is just being a poser.

Im not trying to knock anyone I just wanted to set some misconceptions straight.

Jason

I dont think the guys in the FI N20 forum have mis-conceptions about running 100 octane,I cant speak for the group but as for me I use it when spraying a hot shot of n20. burns slower and for me its like a condom for my motor ,dont want a terminal case of detonation.as stated by the first poster he is running a bbsc,sounded to me like a anti-knock solution safety net above whats provided .its not always about performance (100 OCTANE)more often then not its safety IMHO. You are not looking at the whole picture and one could construe your thinly veiled attack as something a poser might say.you only backed off when the big dogs chimed in clear as day.
Jason QUOTE running high octane leaded race fuel is just being a poser.

Jason. QUOTE
To sum it up Jason buy some 100 octane and do a few shots before you decide to 'knock' members running it for the right reason. should work every time.its very very unlike me to flame anyone ever,I think this may be my first or second post out of 1000 but I just wanted to set some misconceptions straight.

Back