10 Reasons You Aren't Rich

(awfully general, but some good reminders.)

http://www.thestreet.com/_tscrss/newsanalysis/opinion/10345796.html
(from thestreet.com, all legal mumbo jumbo applies)

10 Reasons You Aren't Rich
By Jeffrey Strain
Special to TheStreet.com
3/22/2007 11:30 AM EDT

The reason why you aren't a millionaire (or on your way to becoming one) is really quite simple. You probably assume it's because you aren't earning enough money, but the truth is that for most people, whether or not you become a millionaire has very little to do with the amount of money you make. It's the way that you treat money in your daily life. Here are 10 possible reasons you aren't a millionaire:

1. You Care What Your Neighbors Think: If you're competing against them and their material possessions, you're wasting your hard-earned money on toys to impress them instead of building your wealth.

2. You Aren't Patient: Until the era of credit cards, it was difficult to spend more than you had. That is not the case today. If you have credit card debt because you couldn't wait until you had enough money to purchase something in cash, you are making others wealthy while keeping yourself in debt.

3. You Have Bad Habits: Whether it's smoking, drinking, gambling or some other bad habit, the habit is using up a lot of money that could go toward building wealth. Most people don't realize that the cost of their bad habits extends far beyond the immediate cost. Take smoking, for example: It costs a lot more than the pack of cigarettes purchased. It also negatively affects your wealth in the form of higher insurance rates and decreased value of your home.

4. You Have No Goals: It's difficult to build wealth if you haven't taken the time to know what you want. If you haven't set wealth goals, you aren't likely to attain them. You need to do more than state, "I want to be a millionaire." You need to take the time to set saving and investing goals on a yearly basis and come up with a plan for how to achieve those goals.

5. You Haven't Prepared: Bad things happen to the best of people from time to time, and if you haven't prepared for such a thing to happen to you through insurance, any wealth that you might have built can be gone in an instant.

6. You Try to Make a Quick Buck: For the vast majority of us, wealth doesn't come instantly. You may believe that people winning the lottery are a dime a dozen, but the truth is you're far more likely to get struck by lightning than win the lottery. This desire to get rich quickly likely extends into the way you invest, with similar results.

7. You Rely on Others to Take Care of Your Money: You believe that others have more knowledge about money matters, and you rely exclusively on their judgment when deciding where you should invest your money. Unfortunately, most people want to make money themselves, and this is their primary objective when they tell you how to invest your money. Listen to other people's advice to get new ideas, but in the end you should know enough to make your own investing decisions.

8. You Invest in Things You Don't Understand: Your hear that Bob has made a lot of money doing it, and you want to get in on the gravy train. If Bob really did make money, he did so because he understood how the investment worked. Throwing in your money because someone else has made money without fully understanding how the investment works will keep you from being wealthy.

9. You're Financially Afraid: You are so scared of risk that you keep all your money in a savings account that is actually losing money when inflation is put into the equation, yet you refuse to move it to a place where higher rates of return are possible because you're afraid that you will lose money.

10. You Ignore Your Finances: You take the attitude that if you make enough, the finances will take care of themselves. If you currently have debt, it will somehow resolve itself in the future. Unfortunately, it takes planning to become wealthy. It doesn't magically happen to the vast majority of people.

In reality, it is probably not just one of the above bad habits that has kept you from becoming a millionaire, but a combination of a few of them. Take a hard look at the list, and do some reflecting. If you want to be a millionaire, it's well within your power, but you'll have to face the issues that are currently keeping you from creating that wealth before you will have a chance to call yourself one.

Hey batman, I remember you posting about getting a high end car after your "Investment" paid off. So where is it? :biggrin: STOP Hammer time :)

8. You Invest in Things You Don't Understand: You hear that Bob has made a lot of money doing it, and you want to get in on the gravy train. If Bob really did make money, he did so because he understood how the investment worked. Throwing in your money because someone else has made money without fully understanding how the investment works will keep you from being wealthy.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
I think there are a few reasons missing:
**You are not a trust-fund baby
**You are not a pro sports player
**You are not a early 90s MS (and a few others..) stock options employee.
**You own a boosted NSX :)

11. B/c you're spending work time on Prime either posting about whatever you spent your hard-earned money on or checking to see what others have said about what they spent their hard-earned money on.

I agree Mr. Mercury, the article's advice is very common-sensical and general... and so is "good nutrition," but I don't think that the majority of Americans adhere to that generality either. Interestingly enough, I sent that same article to my Sister, who is not a millionaire (and not on her way there), about a week ago and her response to me was, "duh! I know that already!" Just because she already knew those little tidbits of truism, she wrote it off as being old news. She didn't realize that old news pertaining to the fundamentals of wealth are just as pertinent today as they were when the first American became a self made millionaire. It seems to me that knowing those principles and failing to act on them may just be a common thread in America's Middle Class of the entitlement generation.

<snip> It seems to me that knowing those principles and failing to act on them may just be a common thread in America's Middle Class of the entitlement generation.
quite true, i'm afraid. from my perspective, a large contributor to this line of thinking is the easy credit pit so many americans (and now other nations) have fallen in to over the years.

wrt shifty's post, agreed re "wealth" vs (commonly held view of) "rich".

i'll take wealth any day.

The general point made is that achieving financial success often takes hard work. That is very true. There is usually a price to be paid and usually it's not low. The question is the price. How many people put their checking balance or career over their marriage, family, friends, or kids for example? It happens everyday. Look at the top end- I would point to Meg Whitman, Larry Page, Trump, or Bill Gates as examples and to be frank personally I wouldn't want any of their lives.

I suppose as a society we've made some marginal progress since King Tut's time; of course unfortunately some people will never learn that they can't take things with them. Especially here in America more than anywhere else- it is amazing how oblivious people are to cultural life elsewhere in the world and lack the basic ability to put things into a wider perspective. There is a point where the price gets too high.

Human life is an extremely short spec in time. They say the earth took 4 billion years to even become inhabitable so I think we're all pretty lucky for the time we have here to begin with in such relatively prosperous times. How stupid would you feel having squandered such an amazing one-shot opportunity worrying about mortgages balances or retirement you might never collect at 72, or devoting all of your time to your career.

For any one of us it could all end tragically in an accident on our way home tonight, or with some bad news on our next doctor's visit. All the success in the world will do very little for you then. Ultimately you can control your 30 year financial plan, but not script your life plan. Every day you get is a day you should treasure. That's not a free pass to be irresponsible, but it surely gets missed in most investment powerpoints or mailings from Fidelity. Every choice has a price.

What genuinely matters is ones happiness and living your life dream. Some people can be more happy with less financial success and vice versa in doing so. I've met many people with very few material things that live very rich, wealthy lives. As we all know there are others with unlimited means living meager existences whom likely will never be happy with anyone or anything. Then there will always be those in the middle layer jostling to find their place... quite often whose sole measure of happiness has become quantified in income, what school they attended, the neighborhood they live in, or an emblem on the hood of a car.

However, most fall in the middle. The real reason most people aren't rich? They don't have the desire nor really care to be. They have kids and other priorities that simply don't require ubber dollars. So in closing I will add #11:

11) You don't want to be.

As some car enthusiasts may eventually come to find, real happiness is often measured in greater ways by most of their peers- which is often why they feel so out of place to begin with. It is how long it takes you to 'accept it' as opposed to just 'hear it' that matters most. For everyone comes a time when they become aware of their accumulated wisdom, and will look back and question their own earlier choices.

In short, we all do the best we can.

being rich takes work, too. (and, obtw, what exactly qualifies someone as "rich"?)

Being rich/wealthy is doing something that you enjoy which makes you money and at the same time may make others money or better their lives.

IMO Rich People work a job and save all their lives for retirement and then have it all snatched away by hospitals when they get sick at the end of their lives.

Wealthy people spend their money and enjoy their lives day by day hoping and saving for the future but protecting themselves all the way to the end.

If you have not so good health insurance and only a few hundred grand in the bank you are pretty much screwed when you get sick. You might as well spent the few 100k when you were young and healthy and could have enjoyed the money.

Last edited:
Best post on Prime. I used to worry about money all the time, then a life changing event happened and all the money in the world cound not of stopped it. Now I invest in MYSELF, I watch everything I eat have 2 Dr's that monitor my health and help me with my exercise plan as well as a psychologist Dr I goto to help me better myself and understand things. Life for me in the past year has really changed and made me aware of things and to enjoy each day and to create good memories to look back on. But you never know, I could get robbed tonight and shot but at least I tried :)

The general point made is that achieving financial success often takes hard work. That is very true. There is usually a price to be paid and usually it's not low. The question is the price. How many people put their checking balance or career over their marriage, family, friends, or kids for example? It happens everyday. Look at the top end- I would point to Meg Whitman, Larry Page, Trump, or Bill Gates as examples and to be frank personally I wouldn't want any of their lives.

I suppose as a society we've made some marginal progress since King Tut's time; of course unfortunately some people will never learn that they can't take things with them. Especially here in America more than anywhere else- it is amazing how oblivious people are to cultural life elsewhere in the world and lack the basic ability to put things into a wider perspective. There is a point where the price gets too high.

Human life is an extremely short spec in time. They say the earth took 4 billion years to even become inhabitable so I think we're all pretty lucky for the time we have here to begin with in such relatively prosperous times. How stupid would you feel having squandered such an amazing one-shot opportunity worrying about mortgages balances or retirement you might never collect at 72, or devoting all of your time to your career.

For any one of us it could all end tragically in an accident on our way home tonight, or with some bad news on our next doctor's visit. All the success in the world will do very little for you then. Ultimately you can control your 30 year financial plan, but not script your life plan. Every day you get is a day you should treasure. That's not a free pass to be irresponsible, but it surely gets missed in most investment powerpoints or mailings from Fidelity. Every choice has a price.

What genuinely matters is ones happiness and living your life dream. Some people can be more happy with less financial success and vice versa in doing so. I've met many people with very few material things that live very rich, wealthy lives. As we all know there are others with unlimited means living meager existences whom likely will never be happy with anyone or anything. Then there will always be those in the middle layer jostling to find their place... quite often whose sole measure of happiness has become quantified in income, what school they attended, the neighborhood they live in, or an emblem on the hood of a car.

However, most fall in the middle. The real reason most people aren't rich? They don't have the desire nor really care to be. They have kids and other priorities that simply don't require ubber dollars. So in closing I will add #11:

As some car enthusiasts may eventually come to find, real happiness is often measured in greater ways by most of their peers- which is often why they feel so out of place to begin with. It is how long it takes you to 'accept it' as opposed to just 'hear it' that matters most. For everyone comes a time when they become aware of their accumulated wisdom, and will look back and question their own earlier choices.

Best post on Prime. I used to worry about money all the time, then a life changing event happened and all the money in the world cound not of stopped it. Now I invest in MYSELF, I watch everything I eat have 2 Dr's that monitor my health and help me with my exercise plan as well as a psychologist Dr I goto to help me better myself and understand things. Life for me in the past year has really changed and made me aware of things and to enjoy each day and to create good memories to look back on. But you never know, I could get robbed tonight and shot but at least I tried :)

Or maybe just robbed and talk your way out of getting shot with some of that psychology you paid for. Good investment after all. :wink: :biggrin:

Great post. I think almost everybody would like to be wealthy. However, if that means skipping out on life, family, friends, great cars, and other hobbies then its not worth it. I would rather have a rich life - a life full of experiences, travel, great friends, family and cars then just save up money for retirement.

Great post. I think almost everybody would like to be wealthy. However, if that means skipping out on life, family, friends, great cars, and other hobbies then its not worth it. I would rather have a rich life - a life full of experiences, travel, great friends, family and cars then just save up money for retirement.

I think you've got it backwards...

'Rich' is having money

'Wealthy' is a way of life

I think you've got it backwards...

'Rich' is having money

'Wealthy' is a way of life
I don't think it matters so much which word you use (rich, wealthy), just how you define it and I think NSXLuvr did a good job of that. :wink: :biggrin:

I do think it is true that most people lack the inclination to become financially wealthy. I agree with John in that there is opportunity cost associated with the pursuit of all things of which we attach value (i.e. money, material, family, friends). It really is a matter of how we prioritize... so yes, some people choose not to be rich.

That said, I feel that it is an extremely noble task to pursue great wealth. In order for most people to achieve their full potential (I think), they must have every means necessary to explore potentially fulfilling life paths - that cannot happen without financial backing - at least not in this society. Of course, that is just my rather inexperienced and/or limited perception as a 28 year old punk with a decent head on his shoulders. :redface:

So for me, I choose to be financially rich and emotionally wealthy. Why?... not for the means, but for the end... to always have enough time and resources to spend nurturing my family (adding a child in < 3 years :biggrin:), and to actively support, with tremendous means at my disposal, those causes in which I believe in the most.

Back