'05 LBBP/Onyx vs. '02 Silverstone/Silver

Wow we were so good. Didn't turn this thread into a silverstone/lbbp war. We were actually helpful. Are we ill? Wingz, you allright man? Comtec? Not feeling so good myself... I think I got sick after seeing those wheels on the 02.

[*]All else being equal I think I like LBBP better. When I first started looking I liked silver, and still do. What I like about the LBBPs is their rarity...only 80 manuals from '02 to '05, compared to 270 silvers. Not that I will ever see either up here anyways. :tongue:

I think you answered your own question. :smile: Go w/ the one you admit to liking better.

Buy the newest that you possibly can. That LBBP 05 looks really MINT. I think either one is a winner, but I would lean towards the unmolested 05 :smile:

I think the choice is simple. If you have the means, get the 05. If you are on a certain budget, get the 02. If you have the means and are still debating, stop. Just get the 05. Its a cleaner, newer, nicer car. Then mod it ito your liking. Lots of people gave the advice to get an 02 or 03 and not an 05, spend the money on mods. I am glad I didn't listen. It cost me a lot more, but this is the car I wanted. Silver was the color I liked the best, and I specifically wanted silver/silver. Then I took that pretty car and I carefully put a CTSC on it. :biggrin:

Now I see why you needed wheels... I don't think I could bring myself to drive that car home with those disco ballz! :eek: :biggrin:

Lol Jamey. You know it. Well I came up with a new low price of $1750 for factory wheels and tires, so I guess that's one thing in the Silver car's favor. I too find it hard to even look at the silver car objectively with those wheels on it.

I do have the means to buy either car. But I like to think the reason I have the cash to buy it is because I don't pi$$ money away. I think color and year aside, as two '02 - '05 cars with the same miles, the silver car is 10X the bang for the buck. I've never driven an NSX. I know the first time I put my foot to the floor I'm going to be a little disappointed as much as I tell myself that's not why I am buying it. Maybe I would just keep the SC on the silver car if I bought it...at least for a couple of seasons. :wink:

To the person that asked about importing, both cars are treated equally. How hard you get pinched at the border just depends on the price you paid for the car, regardlesss of its year. No warranty though on either car as I mentioned before.

God I can't believe how I can't decide on these cars. Part of me wants to make a snap decision, as I seem to do every fifteen minutes today. But the smart part of me that's done this before knows better. As rare as they are, there will always be another of both. These cars are coming off lease weekly with low miles...case in point the Berlina Black/Camel car that just showed up on eBay with 1200 miles. My wife likes that one best....:redface:

Lol Jamey. You know it. Well I came up with a new low price of $1750 for factory wheels and tires, so I guess that's one thing in the Silver car's favor. I too find it hard to even look at the silver car objectively with those wheels on it.

I do have the means to buy either car. But I like to think the reason I have the cash to buy it is because I don't pi$$ money away. I think color and year aside, as two '02 - '05 cars with the same miles, the silver car is 10X the bang for the buck. I've never driven an NSX. I know the first time I put my foot to the floor I'm going to be a little disappointed as much as I tell myself that's not why I am buying it. Maybe I would just keep the SC on the silver car if I bought it...at least for a couple of seasons. :wink:

To the person that asked about importing, both cars are treated equally. How hard you get pinched at the border just depends on the price you paid for the car, regardlesss of its year. No warranty though on either car as I mentioned before.

God I can't believe how I can't decide on these cars. Part of me wants to make a snap decision, as I seem to do every fifteen minutes today. But the smart part of me that's done this before knows better. As rare as they are, there will always be another of both. These cars are coming off lease weekly with low miles...case in point the Berlina Black/Camel car that just showed up on eBay with 1200 miles. My wife likes that one best....:redface:

If you really want one of them don't wait too long or they may be gone. I talked to a dealer in Florida on a Saturday on a nice 05 but I wasn't sure about the wheels. I called them on the Monday and was going to take it a it had sold late Saturday. The silver interior is not as bad as you may think. I must say I wasn't sure I'd like it but its growing on me. All the people who have seen it like it and think it looks more modern. I'd buy the lbbp just so we don't ever bump into each other wearing the same color.LOL.

I've never driven an NSX. I know the first time I put my foot to the floor I'm going to be a little disappointed as much as I tell myself that's not why I am buying it.

That changes everything. Your impressions of this car are all off until you drive it. This is what not many get about the NSX. You look at the HP numbers and make an assumption based on that. This car is NOTHING like the rest of the cars you own. Not to insult those rather unique pieces of American history in any way, those cars have no precision compared to an NSX. They are heavy and feel heavy compared to an NSX. All HP does in a car is attempt to make it fun. Hard acceleration is fun and that is why we want it. The NSX is fun on its own, by precision, by driving position, by streering feel, etc. It is a ton of fun to drive, and you don't need a lot of HP in it. It doesn't need to be really fast, it feels fast. Around a track its probably faster than all your other cars. Yes I have a supercharger but I really like this car fine NA.

You want to buy an 02, strip the SC, then add a turbo? I think the CTSC is the only FI that does not change the driving characteristics of this car. I really think you will have a whole different outlook once you have driven the NSX. If you get the 02, keep the CTSC. Its a fine FI system for this car. If you think the 05 NA will be weak, you will be very surprised once you drive it. You are in for a big surprise.

I contacted that fellow and after waiting a week I finally got a few pictures. I really don't want a camel interior. Although it looks great (especially on a red or black car), it's simply too difficult to maintain. White is far and away the rarest color, but the high price and that interior put me off. Actually waiting a week to hear back from the owner is what put me off the most. That kinda scares you when you depend on someone reliable on the other end of the deal to make sure the car gets to you, as I must when I have autos shipped. He sent the pictures to three of us, so perhaps someone else here will buy it. I haven't seen it listed elsewhere yet.

If you are going to have to ditch both the supercharger and the wheels on the 02, why not just find a clean unmolested one for around 60k? Since there are very few buyers (and very few sellers) in the almost-new NSX market, just take a few months to get exactly the one you want. Helps being in the winter when prices are down a little.

Yep that's more or less the plan. I won't be driving whatever car I get until....May. :frown: So I have lots of time to wait. On the one hand the relative rarity of these cars makes a person worry they are going to miss the exact combination they want (presuming you know what you want:tongue: ). But then as I think I mentioned above, these cars are coming off lease left right and center it seems at the moment. I'm surprised how many people leased these cars. Seems a little silly to me but maybe I am missing some tax implications in the U.S. market that don't apply up here.

Yep that's more or less the plan. I won't be driving whatever car I get until....May. :frown: So I have lots of time to wait. On the one hand the relative rarity of these cars makes a person worry they are going to miss the exact combination they want (presuming you know what you want:tongue: ). But then as I think I mentioned above, these cars are coming off lease left right and center it seems at the moment. I'm surprised how many people leased these cars. Seems a little silly to me but maybe I am missing some tax implications in the U.S. market that don't apply up here.

I know for a while Acura offered a really good lease on the 02+ NSX's (just not exactly sure which years). It was some ridiculous deal where the monthly payment was $799/month. That is why there are so many lease turn ins.

Back