'05 LBBP/Onyx vs. '02 Silverstone/Silver

I'm not a big fan of these sorts of posts, but they seem to be well responded to here. And I am genuinely torn between these two cars. So perhaps those with more experience can lend some feedback.

• 2002 Silverstone/Silver
    - private sale
    - 2 owners
    - 8800 miles
    - CTSC installed by first owner at ~2500 miles
    - no stock wheels
    - $67,500

• 2005 Long Beach Blue Pearl/Onyx
    - for sale by a high end wholesaler
    - single owner - leased
    - 8800 miles
    - bone stock
    - $76,500

LaU9k4QgXbtCJspBTXPVlrh4JT4O1EH00300.jpg
LBBP.jpg

Ive bought cars from Marshall Goldman at Manheim Auto Auction, stand up guy and gives you a nice car.:wink: I love the LBBP but I guess others dont. I've had an 05 LBBP/Black with 19k sitting on my showroom floor for about 4 months already, without a "serious" phone call.

lbbp :cool:

the other one is supercharged tho, which would save you some money if you want to go that route. i hope they still have the stock wheels for that silverstone tho.... kinda ugly

lbbp :cool:

the other one is supercharged tho, which would save you some money if you want to go that route. i hope they still have the stock wheels for that silverstone tho.... kinda ugly

That silverstone is crying inside for some Volks. I think somewhere there is an angry Escalade that wants it's rims back:biggrin: Horrible choice of wheels and heavy as hell too:wink:

go for the lbbp if you can get the price down. I paid a little under that price for mine last year (Oct) and that was a little high. Mine also only had 3600mi on it. The supercharged 02 sounds great, but supercharging it that early (mile wise) is only going to lead to problems. I guess it depends on whether you plan on keeping it for a long time or not. I paid premium for my car because it was EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I don't EVER plan on selling it... :biggrin:

Last edited:
I hate to say it but this one is a real tough choice. Can you afford supercharging an 05 later? also which color do you like if all else was equal? Man those wheels are a turnoff. The 05 is so stock it doesn't even have a smartenna.

Tough choice

It would be a no brainer if that 02 had some decent wheels.
If you plan on SC'ing your NSX, then I would go for the 02

Man this is truly a looks vs performance deal. We don't know when Comptech will be up and running again and if so your adding $10k to the price of the 05 to start. Actually though if you think about the 05 is a better deal. My reasoning is that almost seventy grand for a car that's three years older with two more owners. Supercharger means the car was probably driven harder by two different people. The 05 is the last year produced and down the line that should mean something for resale value. Interesting how they both have the same amount of miles. Why was the 02 sitting for so long between two owners? Also why is the high end wholesaler not selling you the car close to wholesale? That's more than I paid for my 04 NSX brand new. I think there's quite a bit of price negotiating there.

p.s The wheels on that Silverstone are ass! Are those kelly tires? Blasphemy!

Ive bought cars from Marshall Goldman at Manheim Auto Auction, stand up guy and gives you a nice car.:wink: I love the LBBP but I guess others dont. I've had an 05 LBBP/Black with 19k sitting on my showroom floor for about 4 months already, without a "serious" phone call.

I called several times on that car and was told it was sold;-(

Easy choice. Silver.

Same miles, 10K cheaper with 10k of free upgrades. Buy it, buy $3-4 k of wheels and put the other $15k of savings in your pocket. The blue is drop dead gorgeous, but the silver looks good too. It looks better if you pile 150 $100 bills on the hood.

I am suprised at how many people feel that the wheels on the silverstone have any bearing on the purchase, your buying the car not the wheels. That said go blue, even good photos like the one shown don't do the color justice.

I have to agree with MJK above...receiving 10K worth of free upgrades is great especially as you'll have the CTSC which seems a very popular upgrade.

If your not keen on the CTSC then go LBBP as its the last year of production, single owner, and looks way better than the Silver 02.

You know those wheels on the 02 MUST GO! So there's additional expense...

I am suprised at how many people feel that the wheels on the silverstone have any bearing on the purchase, your buying the car not the wheels...

How can you say that? The wheels on the silver car look like a$$. The additional cost of new ones ($4,000-$5,000 for nice ones) would place the value of the car very close to the blue one. The savings who practically be lost. The silver one has nice goodies, but the wheels make it look like pimp my ride. The blue is an awesome color but the supercharger is a huge plus IMO. Lowball the silver one and put the difference into rims and suspension. Then you would have one mean (and fast) looking ride.

My $0.02

Well some other considerations I suppose...

1. I have located a set of stock wheels for $3,000. That's alot of money but still better than $5,000 plus new. I don't think it's asking alot to expect all the stock parts to come with a five year old car with an asking price close to $70K. :confused: So I am going to add $3,000 to the price of the silver car because even though I never plan on running those wheels, I still want to have them around. They'll only get harder to come by over time.

2. The wheels on that silver car are so ugly I don't even think I could sell them...certainly not to an NSX owner. Do any other cars use the same offsets/bolt pattern?

3. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am going to need to do some sort of FI on whatever car I get. That makes the silver car appealing in theory. Problem is, I wouldn't do a SC. I'd turbocharge the car 110%. I own a Syclone, Typhoon, Grand National, and a Turbo Trans Am. I know a thing or two about turbocharging. :wink: So to be honest, when I look at the silver car. I don't look at it as a SC car...I look at it as $10,000 in parts to sell towards turbocharging the car.

4. The owner of the silver car told me the original owner was exceptionally wealthy. So I don't doubt the possibility that the car was nothing more than a toy to him and he slapped the SC on and drove it hard from the get go. It apparently has the high boost pully on it and the owner told me he dyno'd the car and got 348 rwhp. My understanding is that 325 or so is more common and this higher HP concerns me. I asked about original paperwork and service records and he said he had the window sticker and that was about it. Could be a misunderstanding on my part. I'll have to verify that.

5. All else being equal I think I like LBBP better. When I first started looking I liked silver, and still do. What I like about the LBBPs is their rarity...only 80 manuals from '02 to '05, compared to 270 silvers. Not that I will ever see either up here anyways. :tongue:

6. That silver interior has me severely concerned. I still haven't received satisfactory pictures from the owner to even make an educated guess about whether or not I like it.

7. I won't likely put more than 2,000 miles a year tops on the car (probably more like 1000 or so), which is why I have been looking for low mileage cars.

8. The LBBP car, being located out east, will need to be shipped. The silver car is on the west coast and would be at least $1000 cheaper to get home.

9. The warranties are a moot point. Honda will not honor a U.S. warranty in Canada, so both cars will effectively be bought as is with no warranty.

I hope that helps. Still looking for more feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well some other considerations I suppose...

[*]The owner of the silver car told me the original owner was exceptionally wealthy. So I don't doubt the possibility that the car was nothing more than a toy to him and he slapped the SC on and drove it hard from the get go. It apparently has the high boost pully on it and the owner told me he dyno'd the car and got 348 rwhp. My understanding is that 325 or so is more common and this higher HP concerns me. I asked about original paperwork and service records and he said he had the window sticker and that was about it. Could be a misunderstanding on my part. I'll have to verify that.

I believe that silver 02 may have the old CTSC if it only dyno'd 348 with a hi boost pulley.

If it's the whipple CTSC, I'd pass and just get to negotiating on the blue one.

Also, $3k is too much for OEM wheels. They usually go for around $2k here on the forums with tires.

Last edited:
If you are pulling off the CTSC and turbocharging the car save yourself the money and get the 02. The silver interior is a plus.

The wheels on the Silverstone don't even look like they're staggered in size. They're probably 17 x 8.5, and mounted with rings and spacers. Maybe they'd fit on an Accord or Camry, so you could still get a couple bucks for them...

I think these are it:

Z5_b.jpg

Kaotic Z5's, which is a knockoff of a Work Euroline wheel. Fake rivets, cast, and heavy.

I'd go with the '05. There have been threads about the 04/05 possibly having stronger engines...but of course, those are all just rumors.

Personally, I like a car stock...let myself do the modding. More fun that way.

If you don't want the supercharger definitely go with the 05. True you would easily recover the cost of the supercharger ,but the time/labor of taking it off plus there are some parts you'll need to replace once you take it off. Not worth the hassle.

The wheels on the Silverstone don't even look like they're staggered in size. They're probably 17 x 8.5, and mounted with rings and spacers. Maybe they'd fit on an Accord or Camry, so you could still get a couple bucks for them...

Kaotic Z5's, which is a knockoff of a Work Euroline wheel. Fake rivets, cast, and heavy.

Oh snap! Not the Camry , Accord wheels ...LOL

First question, since you will be importing the car from the US into Canada, will there be any additional taxes to be paid. In my country you have to add BPM-tax, the amount of which the decrease with the age of the car.

Technically speaking, both cars should be absolutely perfect with that kind of mileage.

Personally, I think the LBBP color is nicer than the Silverstone but in this case I would opt for the 2002 model since it is already 10K LESS AND it has the CTSC which in itself is also worth close to that.
And for the price difference, you can get yourself a nice set of wheels, although I would not go for the OEM wheels myself.

Have you driven any of these two cars?
I think the CTSC makes the NSX a proper super exotic again.
The LBBP color in itself does not!

That silverstone is crying inside for some Volks. I think somewhere there is an angry Escalade that wants it's rims back:biggrin: Horrible choice of wheels and heavy as hell too:wink:

agreed! I'd take the s charged and DEF change the wheels, asap

Back