04 Gauge Cluster into 91 NSX

Hi,

I've search and didn't really see a threat out there on this, but I was wondering if there are any issues with installing an 04 gauge cluster into a 91? Would it be a plug n play job or would it be more involved with rewiring? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering that myself, I have a 92,02,04 was gonna try it out but if I fry something its a big price tag.

the clusters are the same except the gauge faces they are blueish.

now if you purchased this 04 cluster from the for sale section of prime which is what your talking about.

you could take it all apart not hard at all and place those gauges into you 91 cluster. and your done.

but using the cluster as a plug and play I would do it at your own risk.
also swapping it would change your miles
which is bad.

but I am not sure it will work.

EMS, the security key light in the cluster for the CHIPPED keys, targa lights, the targa holder light. etc. etc. lots of extra wires going into the 04 cluster

Last edited:
Shawn: Yes, I was thinking of purchasing the 04 cluster for sale since there's a huge scratch on the glass/clear outer plastic of my used 91 that I recently purchased. I do like the blue gauge clusters though and thought this might be a simple plug n play, but it's looking like it's not. I didn't take into acct the lights for the targa aswell. Thanks for the info.!

you can still buy it, and use the clear plastic glass to exchange for yours,
also remove the blue face gauges and put them in yours its an easy thing to do.

I will be doing this soon. I like the newer style gauges. looks more modern

i think its worth it.

Yeah, I think it would look more modern as well, want to update the NSX a bit and worth it to just replace the scratch plastic cover. Although, I wonder how it will look with the amber/orange factory lights :rolleyes:. Let me know when you do yours so I can see how it looks.

the 2002 and up are also amber color. its just the gauges are blue.

the bulb color are the same thru all the years. amber

Hi,

I've search and didn't really see a threat out there on this, but I was wondering if there are any issues with installing an 04 gauge cluster into a 91? Would it be a plug n play job or would it be more involved with rewiring? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

According to the information given in the thread above. the NSX has used three different clusters. So the 1991 and 2004 cluster are NOT compatible.

However, what I did was put a 1994 speedo into my 1998 cluster and this works perfectly. So, even if the cluster itself might not be interchangable, it seems you can change the dials without problem. And since the dials each have their own face plate, this would indeed change your look, which is exactly what you want.

Thanks for the replies guys, great help!

Well I went ahead and purchased the 04 cluster since I'm going to change the front clear plastic out anyways so I will probably try to change the gauge faces from the old one to the new blue ones. Hopefully it won't give me any issues, but from reading the above thread, it might not be so simple. I won't be able to do it until later this summer so I'll keep you guys posted when I get to doing this.

Thanks for the replies guys, great help!

Well I went ahead and purchased the 04 cluster since I'm going to change the front clear plastic out anyways so I will probably try to change the gauge faces from the old one to the new blue ones. Hopefully it won't give me any issues, but from reading the above thread, it might not be so simple. I won't be able to do it until later this summer so I'll keep you guys posted when I get to doing this.

DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THE GAUGE FACE PLATES
The face plates are attached to the complete gauge.

JUST exchange the complete gauge-units from the new cluster to your old one.
In my experience, if thoug the electronics from the cluster may differ between different NSX years, the gauges themselves appear NOT to have changed. Just swap the complete units and it will probably work just fine.

You know the clear outer lens is cheap right?

$32

Some of the gauges will work, like the speedo and tach, the other gauges will not read correctly, it is the circuit board that is different.

DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THE GAUGE FACE PLATES
The face plates are attached to the complete gauge.

JUST exchange the complete gauge-units from the new cluster to your old one.
In my experience, if thoug the electronics from the cluster may differ between different NSX years, the gauges themselves appear NOT to have changed. Just swap the complete units and it will probably work just fine.

Ah yeah, that's what I meant. I'm going to swap the tach and speedo gauges not just the face plate.

Angus: From what you're saying it looks like I won't be able to swap out the other gauges which is a shame but having the tach and speedo will be good enough for me. It probably would've been cheaper to just get the clear plastic cover, but oh well :tongue: Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Ah ok, I didn't know that - thought they would've updated it a little w/ the newer models but I guess not.

Yeah you me and everyone else on this board. You would think a car on the market for 15 years would have some type of modern interior update to include the gauge cluster and center console stack. Esp since the NSX was Acura's Flagship. 05 TL have a pretty good gauge cluster and center console stack vs the 05 NSX looking pretty much the same as the 91 (tape deck still are you fcking serious). Updates that could have been bought to upgrade previous NSX models would have gone a long way. They did the same to the S2000. Honda/Acura losers. I predict that Hyundai will be eating their lunch soon.

The CR-V "a slow irrelevant joke". The new (6 style) Civic a "Corolla wannabe joke". The Accord "the new old man buick joke". The TL "still a fat bloated joke". The RL "is it still being made joke". Everything else "are you fcking kidding me joke". Smart Luxury my ass.

Yeah you me and everyone else on this board. You would think a car on the market for 15 years would have some type of modern interior update to include the gauge cluster and center console stack. Esp since the NSX was Acura's Flagship. 05 TL have a pretty good gauge cluster and center console stack vs the 05 NSX looking pretty much the same as the 91 (tape deck still are you fcking serious). Updates that could have been bought to upgrade previous NSX models would have gone a long way. They did the same to the S2000. Honda/Acura losers. I predict that Hyundai will be eating their lunch soon.

The CR-V "a slow irrelevant joke". The new (6 style) Civic a "Corolla wannabe joke". The Accord "the new old man buick joke". The TL "still a fat bloated joke". The RL "is it still being made joke". Everything else "are you fcking kidding me joke". Smart Luxury my ass.

I agree w/ you completely, but I also see where Honda was coming from since sales - by the time the updates were done - were pretty low and the cost of do an entire interior refresh would've been prohibitive. But yea, having a tape deck around they don't really sell tapes anymore was ridiculous!

I also agree with you on how behind Honda seems to be getting in today's competition. Granted Honda's designs have always been more conservative for mass market appeal, but I believe this is hurting them in terms of attracting new customers and growth. Look at Hyundai/Kai, Nissan, and even Ford. Don't even get me started on Acura - they could've been like Audi and marketed their SH-AWD, but their design is horrible right now...Anyhow, enough of my rant :tongue:

Back