02-05 NSX in -T format

If I'm not mistaken the 02-05 NSX models are all -T (targa roofs) which add like 100 lbs because of reinforcements due to not having a solid roof. This also hinders track performance around oval tracks. This is kind of sad that the NSX was not made with a solid roof configuration. Just wanted to vent. :mad:

If I'm not mistaken the 02-05 NSX models are all -T (targa roofs) which add like 100 lbs because of reinforcements due to not having a solid roof. This also hinders track performance around oval tracks. This is kind of sad that the NSX was not made with a solid roof configuration. Just wanted to vent. :mad:

The coupes were available by special order only after 1995 and clearly the option wasn't popular enough for Honda to warrant their continued production even by special order after 2001. There were only 25 coupes made after 1994 excluding the Zanardi.

It's also a shame the Type-R was never offered in North America but the Zanardi (Type-S) was and sold poorly so it's really no surprise.

Like I originally stated its kind of a bummer that they didn't offer a coupe version for the 02-05 but it will not stop me for getting one, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think its chasis NA2?

I really want to get the newest possible NSX (02-05). To me spending around $30+K for a 91-92 and $50+K for an 02-05 is a big difference but its worth it to me.

I'm saving up for next year around this time for a white or blue one. :cool:

Last edited:
If your a good enough driver to tell the difference in track times between a coupe and a Targa, then I ask why would you consider an NSX in the first place. They are too slow:biggrin:

the bigger problem is headroom, as in targas have less of it. with a helmet i barely fit in my 92 coupe and i'm 5'8" on a good day (i do have aftermarket seats but still...)

Last edited:
Like I originally stated its kind of a bummer that they didn't offer a coupe version for the 02-05 but it will not stop me for getting one, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think its chasis NA2?

Ok, you're wrong.
The NA2 distinction has nothing to do with body style but rather engine in the vehicle.

Ok, you're wrong.
The NA2 distinction has nothing to do with body style but rather engine in the vehicle.

yup, you can still have a 2005 NA1

NA1 refers to the 3.0 liter when the NA2 is the 3.2

so if you bought a 2005 with a automatic, you will still have a NA1.

but don't mistake the NA1's found in the 5 speed for the auto ones. The manuel ones have 270 hp and a 8000 rpm redline when the autos made 250hp with a 7000 rpm redline.

People will laugh at this but I think my 02 handles way better than the 91 I had. I don't know what it is but something just feels so nimble about it:confused:

Plus...THE TARGA KICKS ASS!:biggrin: I have my top off everytime I'm out in it.

they did change the diameter of the sway bars on the 02+ and the stock tires are bigger than the 91. but i know your 91 did not have stock wheels though.

The coupes were available by special order only after 1995 and clearly the option wasn't popular enough for Honda to warrant their continued production even by special order after 2001. There were only 25 coupes made after 1994 excluding the Zanardi.

It's also a shame the Type-R was never offered in North America but the Zanardi (Type-S) was and sold poorly so it's really no surprise.

Not sure why they stopped offering them in US - I guess you have better weather than the UK. Over here it is the other way round - very few NA2 targas.

People will laugh at this but I think my 02 handles way better than the 91 I had. I don't know what it is but something just feels so nimble about it:confused:

Exact opposite for me. I miss my coupe with its lighter, more rigid body and NO POWER STEERING ROCKS :frown: :cool:

The Targa is nice, however, since I only drive it on nice days.

errr, life is not all about the tracks......:confused:

Show me one person who HONESTLY would take a older non-targa over a newer 2002+ car buddy mainly because of the roof weight...:eek:

Like another poster said if you can truly feel the difference around the track, then you need a faster car! Just be sure to get the NSX-R chassis braces for a Targa and you are fine :)

My targa top is always in the trunk as I only drive the car on nice days/evenings and park it in sight.

rk

Last edited:
Show me one person who HONESTLY would take a older non-targa over a newer 2002+ car buddy mainly because of the roof weight...:eek:

As soon as I find the right Zanardi that is EXACTLY what I am going to do......

Wow, a little too much information!!! (unless you are female)

Really? You think so? I don't think its enough information! When it comes to NSX ownership the common theme I see is owners who are afraid to drive the NSX more often than not or utilize the Targa...:wink:

DRIVE IT!!!

Owning both a '91 and an '03 I can certainly tell the difference when driving. When the roof is on the '03, it's more than stable enough to match the '91..especially with the 3.2l engine and 6spd.

My '91 has the NSX-R short gears and rear end, so it's fairly perky...

There is a definite change in the feel of the car with the roof off.... but honestly if I were at a track, I'd just leave the roof on and be fine with it.

The only reason I bought an '03 was for the targa roof. I love(d) my '91 and I made a statement that the only car I'd ever replace it with was another NSX.

It's just way too cool to be able to go open air in the summer...that far out weighs any extra weight (what 100lbs maybe?) or subtle flex.

If I wanted a track car, I'd probably buy an Elise or some other uncomfortable thing.

BTW- The power steering was not missed until I knew what I was missing. Way easier to drive, makes it a better daily driver for sure.

Having the Targa changed NSX ownership for me...for the better! It reminds me of my ex-S2000 and offers up more benefit IMO - open air feeling, nsx looks, handling etc. Like I said above I feel this NSX handles better than my ex-91...

Back