0-100-0 Autocar test

Well, I would never trade a NSX for an EVO unless i had to. I might add one as a beater to take around town. I don't care if it can be made to smoke the NSX for a couple grand.. if it a much lower class of car.

The fact is that whoever did the 2002 refresh let EVERYONE down. They should have been fired. Why you ask? Because they left the engine alone. That is what really caused the car to fall behind. The fact is that as soon as a straight comes along - I don't care how good of driver you are -- the car gets left behind... it shouldn't be this way -- not for a "supercar". See Best Motoring for many examples.

I don't think we would even have power discussions if in 2002 they bumped the 3.2 up to a 3.5L with 350HP. Sound unreasonable? I don't see why. The RL has a 3.5L engine. Surely they could have used that as a base just as they did with a legend back in the day.

Even worse is the fact that BMW's M3 makes 333HP out of a 3.2 and the NSX only manages 290. 43 less HP and both spin to 8000 RPM!:mad:

My dream for the HSC is that it will be a car that we have to make no excuses for...

I don't think is a single person on this site that would not have liked a 2002 NSX with a 3.5L V6 and 350HP that could hold its ground to a lotus v8TT and ferrari 360. Am I wrong?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Ya, I guess to each there own, I don't see why a evo would be a lower class, maybe because it costs less? I know the inside is not the best but for something to be fast around a track it does this as good or better then the NSX. If Acura would get there head out of there ass and bring something over with some power I may get a new one but right now I would say the NSX is a great crusing car, but not fast at all 290HP SUCKS. Also check out the 1 lap and the EVO won at all the OTC track events for it's class.

Psycnosis said:
I had a NSX for 5 years before most had it; I got mine in 1999 and sold it for an evo. The NSX was slow and it really was not that exciting, well it is if you want the "Hay is that a Ferrari" or you like all of the attention it gives. The NSX is slow, I can turn a 12.2 @ 113 in the 1/4 with my evo and a 0-60 in 3.7 with $2700 in parts. Also it does much better at the track then the NSX did and the aftermarket for this car is huge. Again you will NOT get all the attention of the NSX so if that is your thing keep the NSX. I had mine for 5 years and had 0 problems. my evo has 17,600 and 0 problems as well. I know people are going to raise hell but open your mind, there are a lot better car's out there then the NSX for less money

Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

I really don’t mean to sound harsh, but… this seriously gets old. What’s being contributed by repeatedly digressing any “NSX vs. x” thread into a “NSX does not have enough horsepower” thread?

NetViper said:
The fact is that whoever did the 2002 refresh let EVERYONE down. They should have been fired. Why you ask? Because they left the engine alone.
Perhaps the resources spent developing a new engine might take away from the resources otherwise spent developing a completely new car (which we now know is in the works)… or perhaps because a cosmetic refresh costs a lot less than developing a new powerplant… or perhaps because limited-production, hand-built exotics have longer periods between redesigns than mass produced vehicles, which means, as the design ages, there are times when it does not blow away the competition the way it did when introduced. I could go on, but feel my efforts would be wasted when I have to why sticking a mass-produced motor in a hand-built car (one that shares almost no components with other cars) is not the path the evolution of the NSX should take. :rolleyes:

NetViper said:
I don't think is a single person on this site that would not have liked a 2002 NSX with a 3.5L V6 and 350HP that could hold its ground to a lotus v8TT and ferrari 360. Am I wrong?
Don’t take this as an attack on you, but I don’t see the point in repeatedly over-simplifying the situation and asking undeveloped questions like this. A more realistic question would be: What would you like better: 2002-~2010 unchanged with exception of a 350 HP 3.5L V6 or 2002-2004 with existing 290 HP, followed by complete redesign in 2005 with more HP, new transmission, new chassis, etc?

Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

I think he should sell the NSX, or supercharge his. If the SC is too much $$$ for you stop bitching, buy a mustang or something. lol The NSX is what it is. Not super fast, not much TQ and something that will last 200,000 miles look nice and start everyday without a problem.

Ojas said:
I really don’t mean to sound harsh, but… this seriously gets old. What’s being contributed by repeatedly digressing any “NSX vs. x” thread into a “NSX does not have enough horsepower” thread?

Perhaps the resources spent developing a new engine might take away from the resources otherwise spent developing a completely new car (which we now know is in the works)… or perhaps because a cosmetic refresh costs a lot less than developing a new powerplant… or perhaps because a limited-production, hand-built exotics have longer periods between redesigns than mass produced vehicles. I could go on, but feel my efforts would be wasted when I have to why sticking a mass-produced motor in a hand-built car (one that shares almost no components with other cars) is not the path the evolution of the NSX should take.

Don’t take this as an attack on you, but I don’t see the point in repeatedly over-simplifying the situation and asking undeveloped questions like this. A more realistic question would be: What would you like better: 2002-~2010 unchanged with exception of a 350 HP 3.5L V6 or 2002-2004 with existing 290 HP, followed by complete redesign in 2005 with more HP, new transmission, new chassis, etc?

Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

Ojas said:

Sorry, but I don't think I am over simplifying the issue. Seriously. The HSC show car is a 3.5L V6 with 300+ HP. Doesn't sounds like they have done a ton of R&D on that one. I hope the real car has something much more revolutionary.

Your more realistic question makes no sense to me. I guess it just depends on when we get the HSC.

Nonetheless, I think more could have been done to the 2002 refresh. Even if they brought the current 3.2 up to 100HP/L, it would be pushing 320.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Psycnosis said:
. Also check out the 1 lap and the EVO won at all the OTC track events for it's class.

You are kidding right. 6 entered the OTC, 5 broke... great car...:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

Psycnosis said:
I think he should sell the NSX, or supercharge his. If the SC is too much $$$ for you stop bitching, buy a mustang or something. lol

I will probably supercharge the car in the future. I really want a 6-speed and 3.2L engine. The SC is a lot of money on the NSX. More than any other car I have seen. (except that 360 SC kit). Obvisouly you could not afford a SC, so you bought a EVO..

I would rather die than buy a mustang...

You people crack me up. You think when I make comments about the NSX being toasted 0-100MPH that I don't like mine. That is not the case at all. I love my car. But I am a realist. In 2004, there are just too many low priced cars that can stay with or beat a NSX. It is as simple as that.

Once again, for all you haters... I LOVE MY NSX.

Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

No Everything I wanted to do to my NSX was 25k, and to put that much money in a 12 year old car is stupid.

NetViper said:
I will probably supercharge the car in the future. I really want a 6-speed and 3.2L engine. The SC is a lot of money on the NSX. More than any other car I have seen. (except that 360 SC kit). Obvisouly you could not afford a SC, so you bought a EVO..

I would rather die than buy a mustang...

You people crack me up. You think when I make comments about the NSX being toasted 0-100MPH that I don't like mine. That is not the case at all. I love my car. But I am a realist. In 2004, there are just too many low priced cars that can stay with or beat a NSX. It is as simple as that.

Once again, for all you haters... I LOVE MY NSX.

Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

It is a great car, only dumb stuff happened and at least people are going to the track. How many NSXes where there? Doug in his flamer mobile? That's it. At least the C5's and Vipers goto the track. Here in the Southeast there are as many evo's on tracks as NSXes and the NSX has been out for 12 years. Oh well I am not going to bitch with you I remember when you needed $$$$ to fix your paint.

NetViper said:
You are kidding right. 6 entered the OTC, 5 broke... great car...:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Psycnosis said:
Here in the Southeast there are as many evo's on tracks as NSXes and the NSX has been out for 12 years.

Ya, and by the end of next year, Mitsubishi will have shipped as many EVOs to the US as Honda shipped NSX's over 14 years. The NSX is a rare car, no wonder you don't see many.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

And I am glad that they are doing this, more cars, better mods, more options and better aftermarket support. And this year they are only shipping about 6-700 and the 04 is not even here yet. They are going to have 3 different evo's as well, the MR, a stripped down one with no ac and a normal one. The MR pulled a .98 on the skidpad and weighs 2900 as well. 12.9 stock byby NSX :D. I wish Acura would step up to the plate and bring a different model over. I will be getting one of these as well.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1254&page_number=1

slashmatt said:
Ya, and by the end of next year, Mitsubishi will have shipped as many EVOs to the US as Honda shipped NSX's over 14 years. The NSX is a rare car, no wonder you don't see many.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Psycnosis said:
And I am glad that they are doing this, more cars, better mods, more options and better aftermarket support. And this year they are only shipping about 6-700 and the 04 is not even here yet. They are going to have 3 different evo's as well, the MR, a stripped down one with no ac and a normal one. The MR pulled a .98 on the skidpad and weighs 2900 as well. 12.9 stock byby NSX :D. I wish Acura would step up to the plate and bring a different model over. I will be getting one of these as well.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1254&page_number=1

Someone please kick this EVO troll:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Sorry if I come across this way, like I said I had a NSX for 5 years and Acura does NOTHING to make NSX owners excited.

hlweyl said:
Someone please kick this EVO troll:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

Psycnosis said:
No Everything I wanted to do to my NSX was 25k, and to put that much money in a 12 year old car is stupid.

I agree with you on the price of the mods. They are pretty outrageous. If you look at the cost for the same mods on a S2000, they are like 1/3 the price..

I like the EVO. It is a great car. I just wouldn't chose it over a NSX.

I read the EVO had a lot of rust issues... is that still true?

Funny Evo Story

Once an EVO owner tried to impress me with his lightweight aluminum trunk!

Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

slashmatt said:
The test only included 14 year old cars that are still in production.

A number of the cars have been produced for over 14 years, including the Porsche 911 and the Caterham.

I owned a R500 for a while and I must say that it is an incredible car. For the people that don't know what the 500 stands for it means 500 horsepower per ton. By my caculations the NSX comes in at 181.5 horsepower per ton. The nsx is definitly in need of a major horsepower bump.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

No, it has about a 1-inch spot under the back bumper cover on the car, that is the only spot that had problems and mitsu addressed it. I will say the dealer is super cool, I though I had a bad injector and I brought it in to get it fixed and they did it like I told them just to change the injector and my car had cams, turbo back exhaust, cam gears, and fuel pump. He said he liked the sound of the cams and fixed it under warrantee. I later found out I pulled out a pin on the ECU when I was hooking up the computer :D.

NetViper said:
I agree with you on the price of the mods. They are pretty outrageous. If you look at the cost for the same mods on a S2000, they are like 1/3 the price..

Re: Funny Evo Story

lolrof, did you tell him your WHOLE car was aluminum, I am going to say MOST evo owners are retards but there are a few that are okay. :)

slashmatt said:
Once an EVO owner tried to impress me with his lightweight aluminum trunk!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

And the 9k for a supercharger is just stupid. I don't care what kinda car it is. I know it's a super special NSX but does that mean that the part costs more to make? And don't even get me started on the F-cars, what pieces of crap. I just wish the NSX had a better aftermarket support for the car like an EVO, Mustang, or even the C5's. I can get a turbo with everything I need to bolt up to my car for about 3500 and it adds 200 wheel HP and the same amount of Torque, and that is the HIGH end of it. Comptech should sell that blower for 5,000 and the Basch should be about 2500-3000. That is fair.

NetViper said:

Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

Carguy! said:
A number of the cars have been produced for over 14 years, including the Porsche 911 and the Caterham.

I'll agree with you on the Catherham 7, but, in my opinion, Porsche stopped making the 911 in 98. 996's are just big boxters.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

Psycnosis said:
And the 9k for a supercharger is just stupid. I don't care what kinda car it is. I know it's a super special NSX but does that mean that the part costs more to make? And don't even get me started on the F-cars, what pieces of crap.

Yes it does.

Never heard about R&D costs, you mr. stock trader? :rolleyes:

Feeding a troll

Psycnosis said:
AAnd don't even get me started on the F-cars, what pieces of crap.

If you keep telling yourself that, it'll seem like a good excuse for not not having one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since no-one asked, here's my opinion...

gheba_nsx said:
Never heard about R&D costs,

I would think that Comptech has long since recouped it's R&D costs by now -- maybe I am wrong... Still, they should lower the blower to be more inline with the S2000. ($4995 MSRP)

I thought the BBSC when it was introduced for $5500 was a fair price.

Comptech lowered the price of 1000-1500$ since introduction, if I am not wrong.

Lowering it too much would piss off the buyers of the first units, it is something you would want toa void since those are also your most loyal customers.

Anyway my remark was written for mister Psy-something that wrote an obvious BS about pricing of aftermarket parts of a low vs hi-poduction car...

So you think F-cars are worth there money? What about having to wait 3 months to get a part? Look at the 355 that thing had so many problems. Anyway get one and then tell me how great it is when it runs right about 70% of the time then you can say it was well worth 100+k. Also I know R&D costs money but does it cost 100k? No way. I think they should be like the Wal-Mart and just move a lot more of them instead of screwing the few who paid 10k for them the market has changed. You can get a NSX for 25k now and why would someone put an 8,000 supercharger on a 25k car? And as far as the 1st buyers getting pissed too badly, what about people that paid over 100k for the 1st NSX?

gheba_nsx said:
Comptech lowered the price of 1000-1500$ since introduction, if I am not wrong.

Lowering it too much would piss off the buyers of the first units, it is something you would want toa void since those are also your most loyal customers.

Anyway my remark was written for mister Psy-something that wrote an obvious BS about pricing of aftermarket parts of a low vs hi-poduction car...

Back