0-100-0 Autocar test

Copying this from Fchat and only using cars I care about..

Nissan 350Z:
0-30mph: 2.29mph
0-60mph: 5.91secs
0-100mph: 14.25secs
Reaction time: 0.25secs
100-0mph: 4.22secs
Overall: 18.72secs

Mazda RX-8 228:
0-30mph: 2.51mph
0-60mph: 6.68secs
0-100mph: 16.51secs
Reaction time: 0.30secs
100-0mph: 4.36secs
Overall: 21.17secs

Audi TT 3.2 DSG:
0-30mph: 2.37mph
0-60mph: 6.57secs
0-100mph: 16.56secs
Reaction time: 0.28secs
100-0mph: 4.44secs
Overall: 21.28secs

Chrysler Crossfire:
0-30mph: 2.40mph
0-60mph: 6.94secs
0-100mph: 17.30secs
Reaction time: 0.31secs
100-0mph: 4.47secs
Overall: 22.08secs

Subary Impreza WR1:
0-30mph: 1.55mph
0-60mph: 4.59secs
0-100mph: 11.39secs
Reaction time: 0.35secs
100-0mph: 4.64secs
Overall: 16.38secs

Mitsubishi EVO VIII FQ330:
0-30mph: 1.58mph
0-60mph: 4.58secs
0-100mph: 12.36secs
Reaction time: 0.36secs
100-0mph: 4.60secs
Overall: 17.32secs

Porsche Boxster S:
0-30mph: 1.95mph
0-60mph: 5.36secs
0-100mph: 13.00secs
Reaction time: 0.43secs
100-0mph: 4.22secs
Overall: 17.65secs

Porsche 911 GT3:
0-30mph: 1.71mph
0-60mph: 4.20secs
0-100mph: 9.20secs
Reaction time: 0.26secs
100-0mph: 4.00secs
Overall: 13.46secs

BMW M3 CSL:
0-30mph: 1.91mph
0-60mph: 4.62secs
0-100mph: 10.82secs
Reaction time: 0.48secs
100-0mph: 3.95secs
Overall: 15.25secs

(BMW M3)
(0-30mph: 2.01mph)
(0-60mph: 5.00secs)
(0-100mph: 12.12secs)
(Reaction time: 0.31secs)
(100-0mph: 4.61secs)
(Overall: 17.04secs)

Honda NSX Type-R:
0-30mph: 1.94mph
0-60mph: 4.91secs
0-100mph: 11.41secs
Reaction time: 0.38secs
100-0mph: 4.41secs
Overall: 16.20secs

Lamborghini Gallardo:
0-60mph: 4.13secs
0-100mph: 9.02secs
100-0mph: 4.32secs
Overall: 13.65secs

Lamborghini Murcielago:
0-30mph: 1.80mph
0-60mph: 4.00secs
0-100mph: 9.00secs
Reaction time: 0.49secs
Overall: 13.90secs

Mercedes CL65 AMG:
0-30mph: 2.22mph
0-60mph: 4.51secs
Reaction time: 0.32secs
100-0mph: 4.67secs
Overall: 14.01secs

Aston Martin DB9:
0-30mph: 2.09mph
0-60mph: 5.05secs
0-100mph: 10.21secs
Reaction time: 0.28secs
100-0mph: 4.42secs
Overall: 14.91secs

Caterham R500 Evolution:
0-30mph: 1.45mph
0-60mph: 3.21secs
0-100mph: 6.92secs
Reaction time: 0.21secs
100-0mph: 3.60secs
Overall: 10.73secs (World Record!)

Mosler MT900:
0-30mph: 1.87mph
0-60mph: 3.69secs
0-100mph: 7.45secs
Reaction time: 0.10secs
100-0mph: 4.40secs
Overall: 11.95secs

Ferrari Enzo:
0-30mph: 1.79mph
0-60mph: 3.52secs
0-100mph: 6.69secs
100-0mph: 4.08secs
Overall: 10.98secs

Porsche Carrera GT:
0-30mph: 1.63mph
0-60mph: 3.72secs
0-100mph: 7.31secs
Reaction time: 0.22secs
100-0mph: 4.10secs
Overall: 11.63secs

Pagini Zonda C12S:
0-30mph: 1.84mph
0-60mph: 3.74secs
0-100mph: 7.52secs
Reaction time: 0.27secs
100-0mph: 4.05secs
Overall: 11.84secs

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren:
0-60mph: 3.82secs
0-100mph: 7.70secs
100-0mph: 4.10secs
Overall: 12.13secs

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And this my friends is why the NSX needs WAY more Horsepower!!!! It just gets CREAMED to 100 MPH. It is nearly 3 seconds behind what i consider its prime competition there to 100 -- the GT3. Now...throw in another 100 HP on the Type-R and you are talking about a BAD machine. Someone please supercharge a Type-R!

I was surprised the baby lambo was faster than big daddy!

The enzo... wow... all I can say!

NetViper said:
Copying this from Fchat and only using cars I care about..

Lamborghini Gallardo:
0-60mph: 4.13secs
100-0mph: 4.32secs
Overall: 13.65secs

Lamborghini Murcielago:
0-30mph: 1.80mph
0-60mph: 4.00secs
0-100mph: 9.00secs
Reaction time: 0.49secs
Overall: 13.90secs

I was surprised the baby lambo was faster than big daddy!

On the contrary, I waws surprised that Gallardo is not significantly faster than Murcielago on braking (100-0 mph)! Murcie IMO is way too portly to be considered a real sports car - more like GT car along the lines of Ferrari 456 and 612 Scag. Conversely, Gallardo's overall mass is closer to what I consider a pure sports car. I'm not doubting their test methods, but I feel the weight differences between the 2 should be great enough to result in bigger spread than those fig. shown.

I would be pretty pleased with these results if I owned the Subaru or Mitsu - they more than hold their own against cars that cost anywhere from 2x to 20x as much. I don't care for them, but they can open up a serious can of whoop ass on a lot of high dollar "supercars".

hlweyl said:
I guess the Koeniggsig CCR was left out. My guess is it would have gotten first prize.

I do not think, I think it would have done between the Mosler and the CarreraGT/Zonda, in the 11:2-11:5 time.

The Enzo has been surpringly fast if we take into account the monster difference that a Catheram R500 Evo makes. :eek:

LeftLane said:
I would be pretty pleased with these results if I owned the Subaru or Mitsu - they more than hold their own against cars that cost anywhere from 2x to 20x as much. I don't care for them, but they can open up a serious can of whoop ass on a lot of high dollar "supercars".

I agree. I don't particularly like them, but they are serious performance cars.

I wonder if the late great Mclaren F1 would have taken it.

What is "reaction time "?

Net Viper's name should be changed to 'Broken Record'. Do you even get a chance to use your car for what it was designed to do? I bet if you rode with me on the racetrack you wouldn't be complaining about HP nearly as much.

The next NSX needs to be on par or one-up the 911 GT3 and if lucky close to the 911 GT3 RS.

kenjiMR said:
Net Viper's name should be changed to 'Broken Record'. Do you even get a chance to use your car for what it was designed to do? I bet if you rode with me on the racetrack you wouldn't be complaining about HP nearly as much.

The next NSX needs to be on par or one-up the 911 GT3 and if lucky close to the 911 GT3 RS.

I did drive on the race track on NSXPO 2002 thank you very much. I can say that HP is not important on a racetrack like that. I would much rather become a better driver than have high HP.

On the other hand, the closest track to me is 5.5 hours away. I never get to drive on the track... and yes I would like more HP for daily driving and would like the current car to compete with a 360 or GT3. So sue me!:mad:

Why the hell should the NEXT NSX have on par performance with a GT3??? They current NSX should do this. Especially a TYPE-R!

The next NSX should blow it away.

If you don't want to read my posts as they are just a "broken record" then don't go to my threads.:rolleyes:

Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

The test only included 14 year old cars that are still in production.

Rxn-time...

ncdogdoc said:
What is "reaction time "?

TBell is on the right track (no pun intended) w/ the particular performance road-tests done...! Cheers :)

From my novice/tyro knowledge of racing, I assumed Reaction time was a reference value in drag-racing...

---------------------------
Reaction Time

Reaction time is the time it takes for the race car to move out of the starting beam after the green light on the tree illuminates. The reaction timer actually starts when the last amber light is illuminated. The reaction timer stops when the elapsed timer starts. There is either .4 or .5 seconds between the lighting of the lights on the tree depending on if the start is a pro or full tree start. Pro starts have a .400 second delay between lights while a full tree start has a .500 second delay between lights. If your front tires leave the starting beam exactly when the green light comes on you will cut a Perfect Light and the reaction time will be either .400 or .500 seconds. If you leave too early the red light comes on and you lose. Leave the starting line after the green light comes on and you are giving your opponent the chance to get ahead of you. So your job at the starting line is to cut the perfect light.

The reaction time is determined by three variables. Reaction time of the driver to the lights. The Reaction time of the car to the drivers action. And last but not least, the rollout of the tires in the starting line beam. We can refer to them as DRT (Driver Reaction Time), VRT (Vehicle Reaction Time) and Rollout Time(ROT).

Driver reaction time is measured from the time the driver sees a triggering event for the action until the action is completed. In other words, when we see the light turn green until the accelerator is depressed.

Vehicle reaction time is measured from the time the accelerator is depressed until the vehicle begins to move.

Rollout is measured from the time the tires start to move until the tire moves out of the starting line beam. Rollout may also be measured in inches for other calculations.

Here is a simple formula for total reaction time (RT).

RT = DRT + VRT + ROT

None of these variables will ever be zero. If they were we could wait to see the green light and then press on the accelerator. Since they are not instantaneous we must take into account the time delay of each.

Let's say that DRT is .200, VRT is .200 and ROT is .100. From the formula the total reaction time would be .500 seconds. As we noted earlier, the time between the last amber light on the Christmas Tree and the green light is .500 seconds. Since this time interval is the same as our total reaction time, when can theorize that if we start the driver reaction timer at the moment the last amber light illuminates we will have a perfect light.

As you can see, cutting a perfect light is not as easy as it would first appear. That is why practice makes perfect when it comes to racing.

You can tune your car, tires and driver to get better reaction times. Here are a few examples.

- If you wait to see the green light before reacting you will ALWAYS have a slow reaction time and more than likely lose the race. Tune your reaction to the lights by practice on a practice tree. You will find that your best reaction times will be related to the lighting of the last amber light.

- Front tire size can make a difference in reaction time. As noted above rollout is part of the reaction time equation. As the size of the front tire increases in vertical height the amount of rollout increases. If you have a tendency to red light, a fix could be to increase the size of the front tire. Conversely, if you continually leave the line late then you should decrease the tire size. Tire size adjustment is a fine tuning step. It will not take out the tenth you are late or early but it will make a difference of a few hundredths or so.

- If your car has a tendency to go up in the air instead of down the track at launch, your tire size will have little to do with reaction time. The distance between the ground and the beam height will not change no matter how much you try to change it.

Last edited:
Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

slashmatt said:
The test only included 14 year old cars that are still in production.

Thats true, but sad. Lets hope the HSC rocks.

RE: Reaction time, yes the definitions above relate to drag racing where you have a starting light to signal the start of timing. However, the above stats all include time to certain speeds -- you can't measure that with trap lights (or you'd need a trackside FULL of them). This suggests the data is taken with 5th wheel or radar/laser data, which both record speed and can measure (or infer) distances travelled for measuring time to distances. The clock doesn't start until speed changes from 0.00 mph.

I believe TBell nailed it. The way it is slotted into the data suggests its the transition from 0-100 acceleration and 100-0 braking.

Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

NetViper said:
Thats true, but sad. Lets hope the HSC rocks.

wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah...

Why don't you trade your NSX in for a Z06 or something? You obviously don't appreciate it for what it is. Also, I challenge you to get a ride-along in a NSX with an experienced driver. Most people have not experienced the car at its true limits.

Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

kenjiMR said:
You obviously don't appreciate it for what it is. Also, I challenge you to get a ride-along in a NSX with an experienced driver. Most people have not experienced the car at its true limits.

I told you I was at NSXPO 2002. While there I road with 2-3 instructors including wei-shen in his comptech NSX. I don't think you are any better than he is.. probably not even close. I know at 27 you think you rule the world. Quit making assumptions, you sound like a moron.

Nonetheless, your NSX is far from stock, so if why did you mod your car so much? Are you a better driver than a stock NSX can handle? I seriously doubt it. What is the difference between you spending all that money on suspension, header, exhaust, gears etc. etc. vs me wanting a supercharger?

kenjiMR said:
wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah... skip... wah wah wah...

Why don't you trade your NSX in for a Z06 or something? You obviously don't appreciate it for what it is. Also, I challenge you to get a ride-along in a NSX with an experienced driver. Most people have not experienced the car at its true limits.

I really don't see why you are flaming. Many of us love the NSX and at the same time wish for more HP. What's the big deal?

What's the big deal? Is there anyone here who hopes the HSC doesn't rock? Do some folks hope it comes out with a 295 hp V6 so we can stay with the argument of "superior engineering", and "the HSC isn't made for straight line, it really excels in the twisties"?

There is a level of performance, power, and amenities that should be expected in a $90k + supercar, because the benchmark has been established by others. Honda has to step up, because even though the original design of the NSX is classic, it has fallen behind in the last 14 years.

JMO - flame as you like.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

hlweyl said:
I really don't see why you are flaming. Many of us love the NSX and at the same time wish for more HP. What's the big deal?

I told you I was at NSXPO 2002. While there I road with 2-3 instructors including wei-shen in his comptech NSX. I don't think you are any better than he is.. probably not even close. I know at 27 you think you rule the world. Quit making assumptions, you sound like a moron.

Nonetheless, your NSX is far from stock, so if why did you mod your car so much? Are you a better driver than a stock NSX can handle? I seriously doubt it. What is the difference between you spending all that money on suspension, header, exhaust, gears etc. etc. vs me wanting a supercharger?

hehe, what a weak response... anyway.

I just like ruffling some feathers sometimes in hopes it will minimize the amount of noise and redundant threads I have to parse through around here. I'll do myself and all of you guys a favor and not post in the Off-Topic area anymore since it looks like I'm making more noise than minimizing it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Imagine how good the NSX would look if...

kenjiMR said:
hehe, what a weak response... anyway.

Talk about a weak response. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for recognizing!!!

Osiris I thought I would just stay silent until you figured it out. :D

You can buy me a beer the next time I am @ Bennigans in Round Rock!!!
;)

I do agree with Netviper though about the power. The car was great for 10 years, but is now a has-been for power. I equalled my NSX with my turbo 1.8 Integra on lap times, and my Integra beats it in the 1/4 with 40 less bhp.

It is NOT the actual bhp number that they need as a goal, it is a power to weight number. They need to try to come as close to the competition (ZO6, Viper, P-car, F-car, Elise, Gallardo, etc) as they can for power to weight. They are behind currently.

I had a NSX for 5 years before most had it; I got mine in 1999 and sold it for an evo. The NSX was slow and it really was not that exciting, well it is if you want the "Hay is that a Ferrari" or you like all of the attention it gives. The NSX is slow, I can turn a 12.2 @ 113 in the 1/4 with my evo and a 0-60 in 3.7 with $2700 in parts. Also it does much better at the track then the NSX did and the aftermarket for this car is huge. Again you will NOT get all the attention of the NSX so if that is your thing keep the NSX. I had mine for 5 years and had 0 problems. my evo has 17,600 and 0 problems as well. I know people are going to raise hell but open your mind, there are a lot better car's out there then the NSX for less money

kenjiMR said:

Back