• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Z2 star spec?

Going to have to buy new tires soon. I currently have the Dunlop Z1 star spec. For my question, is Dunlop going to release a star spec Z2 or is it only the standard Z2 tire available. Also I have 265/35/18 in the back. Can I go with a slightly wider 275 or will the traction control act up. With my lip the way it is I think a 275 will fill the rim better. Also I love wide tires.

I currently have the Dunlop Z1 star spec. For my question, is Dunlop going to release a star spec Z2 or is it only the standard Z2 tire available.
Don't get hung up on the nomenclature. The Dunlop Direzza ZII is the new, improved version of the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. It does everything better than the Z1. It's not a "standard" tire in any way.

I was driving my other car with the ZII tires on it at the racetrack yesterday and I was very, very impressed. If you like your Z1 Star Specs, you'll like the ZII even more.

I have 265/35/18 in the back. Can I go with a slightly wider 275 or will the traction control act up. With my lip the way it is I think a 275 will fill the rim better. Also I love wide tires.
The TCS depends on the year of your car and the size you have in front. In most cases the 275 won't cause problems with the TCS, but there are no advantages to the 275 either. The handling may be slightly worse as well. Stick with the 265.

there are no advantages to the 275 either. The handling may be slightly worse as well. Stick with the 265.

Ken, can you explain this more? I have 215/40/17 and 275/35/18, car came that way, what changes in handling can I expect if I go to 265? Assuming the exact same tire, compound, etc. I understand technically it would have less grip in the rear with 265 so a little less under steer, but that's only at the limit, is there an actual change in feel or balance just all around?

Last edited:
Ken, can you explain this more? I have 215/40/17 and 275/35/18, car came that way, what changes in handling can I expect if I go to 265? Assuming the exact same tire, compound, etc. I understand technically it would have less grip in the rear with 265 so a little less under steer, but that's only at the limit, is there an actual change in feel or balance just all around?
The feel may be less precise, and you may experience a bit more understeer. You may or may not notice the difference. But there are no advantages to the 275 over the 265, either. So you might want to use the current tires up - I hate the idea of tossing tires that are still usable - then when they need replacing, go to the 265.

Ken, I'm definitely in need of new tires already, not tossing good ones. I'm looking between ZII and AD-08, I can get 215/40/17 on both, but AD-08 only has the 265/35/18 and ZII has both 265 and 275. My car is a 91 5-speed with hi-boost CTSC

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on the nomenclature. The Dunlop Direzza ZII is the new, improved version of the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. It does everything better than the Z1. It's not a "standard" tire in any way.

I believe this is incorrect. There is the standard Direzza ZII which came out back in 2012/2013, but that has now been discontinued. The replacement to the Direzza ZII is actually called the Dunlop ZII Star Spec and will be available here in Nov/Dec (already released in Japan) according to Tire Rack.

If you go to Tire Rack's website you will see that the ZII is listed as on "closeout".
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=635WR8Z2&tab=Sizes

Also, here's a confirmation from a Tire Rack rep on Miata.net
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=534756

Last edited:
Ken, I'm definitely in need of new tires already, not tossing good ones. I'm looking between ZII and AD-08, I can get 215/40/17 on both, but AD-08 only has the 265/35/18 and ZII has both 265 and 275. My car is a 91 5-speed with hi-boost CTSC
The ZII and the AD08R (the replacement for the AD08) are both excellent tires. You can view a side-by-side comparison test here. As you can see, the ZII is slightly better in most of the dry tests, and the AD08R is slightly better in most of the wet tests. You really can't go wrong with either one.

I believe this is incorrect. There is the standard Direzza ZII which came out back in 2012/2013, but that has now been discontinued. The replacement to the Direzza ZII is actually called the Dunlop ZII Star Spec and will be available here in Nov/Dec (already released in Japan) according to Tire Rack.
Thanks - I was not aware of that.

Of course, if you need to buy tires now, you can only choose from what's available now. The ZII is an excellent tire, and I really don't think there's any reason not to get the ZII now. Especially with closeout pricing.

Both the AD08R and the ZII are probably a bit too much for people that don't track their cars. You can get more life, less noise, and a better ride from some others and NEVER notice a difference on the street.

Turbo, I suppose I can do something milder for my street wheels like a Kumho Ecsta LE or something. These 17/18 rims are Volk CE-28s and I picked up a cheap set of 94-01 OEM wheels that I plan to use for the track, I'm looking at getting 225/45/16 & 255/40/17 R888 for those wheels and looking for something still grippy but can last longer and a little better in case of rain for the Volks. What does the voice of wisdom Ken think of the 225/45/16 & 255/40/17 for a track tire setup? I figured the front may not rub much if any at all and the NSX can definitely use more front tire, especially at the track. And I know the Volks are probably better "track" rims, but they're so pretty and expensive and I rather beat up the cheap OEM wheels if I take the car on an unplanned off-road excursion.

Both the AD08R and the ZII are probably a bit too much for people that don't track their cars. You can get more life, less noise, and a better ride from some others and NEVER notice a difference on the street.
I would agree for those who don't track their cars AND who also don't typically drive their NSX enthusiastically and assertively, such as on winding roads, canyon runs, etc. Those who drive briskly, even if it's only on public roads, will probably notice and enjoy the performance difference that extreme performance tires offer.

And, of course, those who track their NSX may prefer to have two sets of wheels, one with R compound track tires or extreme performance street tires for use on the track, and the other with longer-lasting maximum performance tires for use on the street.

I picked up a cheap set of 94-01 OEM wheels that I plan to use for the track, I'm looking at getting 225/45/16 & 255/40/17 R888 for those wheels and looking for something still grippy but can last longer and a little better in case of rain for the Volks. What does the voice of wisdom Ken think of the 225/45/16 & 255/40/17 for a track tire setup? I figured the front may not rub much if any at all and the NSX can definitely use more front tire, especially at the track.
Track use presents a different set of criteria. Not only does the availability question shift to different tires (such as the R888, which is an R compound track tire), but many folks don't use TCS on the track so conforming with the TCS constraints isn't an issue, and full steering lock is unlikely to be experienced on the track itself so rubbing at full lock may not matter.

As for those specific sizes for track use, I know that a lot of folks with 17"/17" track wheels use 235/40-17 and 275/40-17. So if you're going with 225/45-16 track rubber in front, you might consider 275/40-17 in the rear (and yes, the R888 is available in that size). I wouldn't recommend either of these sizes for street use, but for the track, that's what I'd try, 275/40-17 with the 225/45-16.

Back