You know you have a strange situation when you decide you won't be buying at any

price...

Backstory, so I call a guy today about his NSX. Price was decent and the google search revealed enough that I thought he was probably a legitimate guy. That's about when the wheels starting falling off the train. Before I began to ask any questions, he tells me he has had the ad up for three days and he is worn out by the sheer number of calls, emails, etc. Good for him, I think. He goes on to chastise me about a whole host of things (YOU need to do this, YOU need to consider, blah blah blah). I told him that I was interested but if he had people coming to get the car today, I was not his buyer (i.e. I was trying to end the conversation based on his assumption it would sell within a few hours.)

I was polite, but after three sentences with this guy, I knew we would not be transacting business. I tried to get off the phone and he became agitated and annoyed. Sensing that he was about to lose his cool, I try to beg off with a noncommittal statement ("I had better run if I need to find someone local to come look at the car during your open window.") He kept badgering me. Finally, I had to blurt out, "I am sorry, but I don't think we are going to do a deal. Thanks, goodbye."

Note to self...we all have bad days (nobody is immune) but remember to be polite and professional no matter the situation.

Clearly the guy was off his meds. Probably a few other personality issues lurking as well. Best that you walked away from that one.

No, but that is funny. This guy is definitely selling. He just does not seem to grasp what his responsibilities are (versus the buyer...namely, start with being civil.)

Someone must be forcing him to sell it. He doesn't sound like he wants to get rid of it voluntarily. Or he has no sales skills at all, much less people skills.

I've been in this situation before. It's always safer to just wait, even if you miss out on a good deal. Buyer's remorse can be way worse than a missed opportunity.

I was looking at the car for a buddy (who I am trying to get into the NSX community.)

It happens. Moving on but I am curious who bought it.

Back