Yokohama Advan A-005 Slicks

The correct size fitment for this race tire on the rear of my NSX is the 280-650-18. However, this tire is designed to be a front tire, not a rear.

The potential problem is it's load-bearing ability (or lack thereof) on a relatively heavy (3000 lbs +) car with lots of HP/torque. It's been recommended that they not be run on the rear on banked tracks.

They have been used quite successfully on Porsche GT3 Cup cars where the weight distribution is slightly more tilted towards the rear (encouraging for the NSX, but they weight about 2600 lbs), and they've been used on Doug Hayashi's race car with no problems, but his car also weighs about 2600 lbs, and with the CTSC, probably puts out about 380-400 RWHP. My car weighs about 3100-3200 lbs and will put out about 500-600 RWHP when the turbo installation is complete. The increased weight and power output are my concern.

Has anyone else run these slicks on the rear of a similarly configured NSX, and if so, what has your experience been?

Did you talk to Yokohama directly? How did you know they are only designed for front tire?

As far as I know, they are widely used for other cars in JGTC and other racing series in Japan. And we all know most cars have front engine. So, weight issue should not be a problem. Furthermore, there are quite a few japanese cars that uses this size in the rear.

We ran this size before, same weight but much less HP

Andrie Hartanto said:
Did you talk to Yokohama directly? How did you know they are only designed for front tire?

I did not, although Doug's suspension guy did; I have had it confirmed by two other distributors. The difference is in the banding at the edge of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall; the tires designed for the rear of the car, such as the 280-680-18, have an extra band wrapped around this area while those for the front end (including the 280-650-18) do not have this.

Andrie Hartanto said:
We ran this size before, same weight but much less HP

Andrie, what are you running now? The only other slicks I could find in a 17/18 combination that would fit are the Dunlops but they are extremely expensive.

Hoosier makes slicks in the 17/ 18" size...I get them from Bob Woodman tires...They FAR exceed what a DOT comp radial can do..3 seconds a lap faster for me at Lime Rock!

Track Junkie said:
The correct size fitment for this race tire on the rear of my NSX is the 280-650-18. However, this tire is designed to be a front tire, not a rear.

Has anyone else run these slicks on the rear of a similarly configured NSX, and if so, what has your experience been?
I use Yokohama Advan 280/650/18 full Slicks for the rears. As far as I know these are rear tires. Front I use 230/610/17.

nsxtasy said:
Why do you need true slicks, rather than R compound track tires? :confused:
Full slick tires are in another leage than any R compound tires.

Track Junkie said:
Andrie, what are you running now? The only other slicks I could find in a 17/18 combination that would fit are the Dunlops but they are extremely expensive.

We don't run slicks anymore and just run RA1. This is due to cost and difficulties bringin slicks in without trailer.

Slicks is fun though. The grip level is just amazing.

I'm suprised with the other distributor answers. I did not get this when I asked Cheech from Yokohama/Advan at the 25Hr Enduro. They were there in full support of Spoon. I would recommend you to talk to them directly.

Those who went to JGTC at CA speedway might notice they put chicane in the front straight/bank oval. The main reason is, like Michelin at Indy, they are not comfortable with the tires and they argued that the tires had not been tested to carry full load through there. Unlike Michelin, they did not actually have any failure, though. The concern was strictly on bank oval. I've never heard of any problem on regular road course.

Gerard van Santen said:
I use Yokohama Advan 280/650/18 full Slicks for the rears. As far as I know these are rear tires. Front I use 230/610/17.

Is your car lightened or standard weight? What kind of HP/torque do you have?

As I said, they are technically a front tire design (per Yokohama), but having said that, they know that many people use them for the rears and when rear weight is low and hp moderate they are fine. The problem begins to show up when run on heavier cars (3000+) and/or big HP/torque (over 400HP). So I'm trying to get some data points from people who have run them on a standard weight NSX with high power output.

VintageracerNYC said:
Hoosier makes slicks in the 17/ 18" size...I get them from Bob Woodman tires...They FAR exceed what a DOT comp radial can do..3 seconds a lap faster for me at Lime Rock!

Specifically, what sizes do you run and how much are they?

Pirelli PZero Race Slicks have rear fitment in 295/680-18 which would work ideally for 10.5" rears. Also a 285/645-18 as I recall. I know they are available via special order.

Not sure about their characteristics or how they might compare to the A-005's thou.

John@Microsoft said:
Pirelli PZero Race Slicks have rear fitment in 295/680-18 which would work ideally for 10.5" rears. Also a 285/645-18 as I recall. I know they are available via special order.

They do not make a 17" slick for the front that I'm aware of.

Track Junkie said:
Is your car lightened or standard weight? What kind of HP/torque do you have?

As I said, they are technically a front tire design (per Yokohama), but having said that, they know that many people use them for the rears and when rear weight is low and hp moderate they are fine. The problem begins to show up when run on heavier cars (3000+) and/or big HP/torque (over 400HP). So I'm trying to get some data points from people who have run them on a standard weight NSX with high power output.
My car weighs about 1,290 kg (2,843 lb) with half load of fuel. 375rwhp and 365nm torque. I have Yokohama ADVAN A005B and I use ADVAN slicks for the last 7 years now. Yokohama Germany sells the 280/650/18 as rear tires. I have never heard that these are front tires.

We ran the OO5's for a while. Never had a problem, but never ran them on a banked course. They were great tires, but were hard to get a hold of at the time.

We also ran the Pirelli slicks, but I'm not aware of any 17". We currently run 18 front and 18 rear and run the Hoosier slicks. Found a good deal on a lot of tires from a team that ran in the 24 hours of Le Mans.

Our car is approx 3,000 lbs with 500+ hp.

Back