Yet another hybrid Sports car. From Toyota no less

Yeah Ito says his engineers are hard at work but here's another sports hybrid from Toyota no less. No not the prettiest but at least it's not imaginary:rolleyes:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/22/toyota-to-reveal-grmn-hybrid-concept-at-nurburgring-24/

Here's the capper
With its gasoline engine mounted mid-ship and a hybrid all-wheel-drive system, the GRMN should deliver drivers plenty of grip and excellent balance as well. Total combined output sits at 295 horsepower, with 245 ponies coming from the gasoline V6 and another 50 arriving via an electric motor. That motor supplies power to the two front wheels only.

Last edited:
eeewwwww, toyota is going from beige to straight ugly.btw does anyone else think the new toyota/scion rwd coupe looks like a maserati grand turismo from the front side view? they both have the same sweeping arch fender over the front wheels that come together at the 'mouth' of the car.

It's not that ugly really but it's far from really being a pacesetter with looks. What it is I can appreciate. Here again Honda is being one upped - Honda is lost guys. I'm afraid it going to be a long time before Honda really does something to beat out even Toyota! Sad to say it as I am! :mad:

On the one hand, I guess you could say at least Toyota is trying.

But on the other... If I were a *shareholder*, I'd be saying W... T... F!!!!

What Honda is doing at least makes more sense - they're not trying in this segment at all and are sticking to good margin cars.

Toyota sunk zillions into a halo car that they sell at a loss to no one. Anyone who wants it (all of Supra Forums basically) by *definition* will *never* afford it.

Creating $400k cars for dreamers to bench race against other $400k cars that *real ultra high net worth buyers actually buy* isn't smart. Typical thread on Supra Forums is along the lines of "LF-A vs CGT" with 10000 posts of "I WOULDNT TAKE CGT IF YOU *GAVE* IT TO ME BRAH... LF-A PLUS TT KIT IS THE PWNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" followed by "GET OFF LFA DICK FANBOI!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Typical CGT thread on Rennlist "anyone know of a new allocation of CGT coming in 012 and how I can get on list? Willing to pay $50k for a spot"

See the difference there? :D

Then there is this new thing... An apparently fully baked prototype that kind of looks production ready, yet *no one* seems to think it will *ever* be produced.

I mean really...

Toyota should have recreated the Supra, under the Lexus brand, as a $60-$90k car (starting with a base car and moving up through to an "S" type model) and given Porsche something to be concerned about. If it were an evolution of the Supra concept, wasnt a huge pig like the GTR, and had Lexus quality with solid #s? (like Corvette #s), I'd have been first in line.

What they're doing lately seems insane.

Last edited:
Insane for making sportdcars??? The LFA tech will trickle down to other models so costs will be recuperated over the years plus it does great things for image.

Honda is losing market share without running into the same quality issues that Toyota has. Everyone thought it common knowledge that Honda would pick up the market share that Toyota was losing but they didn't.

All Honda really gets is bad press for almost everything they've released lately since they lost their "sporting" image and even though it didn't sell well due to Hondas negligence they're constantly badgered about the NSX. Go figure:confused:

Honda has lost what made them special while everyone else who still sells sports cars caught up. Then came the Koreans who've made big inroads in the compact and midsize markets. Look at the new Civic that Honda told everyone is the turnaround car showing their new direction. Yawn. It's been given such a lukewarm response it's not funny.

Hondas reaction to the current market has been more of the same and competition is too fierce for them to let the bean counters run the company.
Did you know they're even offering incentives to keep customers like the big three were doing when they were losing market share to the Japanese.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/21/japan-inc-using-deals-incentives-to-keep-hard-fought-lease-cus/

As for the CGT the blue bloods will always treat the Asian cars that way , but lets face facts the LFA is more technologically advanced and better for almost $200k less than the CGT. CGT is POOORRRSCHE though. Pretty much what happened with the NSX and the 348.

It does kind of look like a Spyker with LF-A wheels but not horrible. I'm not sure the power package could produce enough fuel economy to justify its existence, but it'd be cool if it could!

Tom

Last edited:
On the one hand, I guess you could say at least Toyota is trying.

But on the other... If I were a *shareholder*, I'd be saying W... T... F!!!!

What Honda is doing at least makes more sense - they're not trying in this segment at all and are sticking to good margin cars.

Toyota sunk zillions into a halo car that they sell at a loss to no one. Anyone who wants it (all of Supra Forums basically) by *definition* will *never* afford it.

Creating $400k cars for dreamers to bench race against other $400k cars that *real ultra high net worth buyers actually buy* isn't smart. Typical thread on Supra Forums is along the lines of "LF-A vs CGT" with 10000 posts of "I WOULDNT TAKE CGT IF YOU *GAVE* IT TO ME BRAH... LF-A PLUS TT KIT IS THE PWNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" followed by "GET OFF LFA DICK FANBOI!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Typical CGT thread on Rennlist "anyone know of a new allocation of CGT coming in 012 and how I can get on list? Willing to pay $50k for a spot"

See the difference there? :D

Then there is this new thing... An apparently fully baked prototype that kind of looks production ready, yet *no one* seems to think it will *ever* be produced.

I mean really...

Toyota should have recreated the Supra, under the Lexus brand, as a $60-$90k car (starting with a base car and moving up through to an "S" type model) and given Porsche something to be concerned about. If it were an evolution of the Supra concept, wasnt a huge pig like the GTR, and had Lexus quality with solid #s? (like Corvette #s), I'd have been first in line.

What they're doing lately seems insane.

Pretty much gotta agree with M here! He's right about the Supra idea too. I would however, love to see a video comparo of the LFA and CGT! It'll be interesting when the 918 finally debuts too. I would have a CGT - gotta be one of the coolest cars ever made and the LFA sounds a lot like it. Saw one at Atlantas - Caffeine and Octaine a few months ago - that would be saw and heard. The sound is purely intoxicating - really is.

You can say what you want about thieir seemingly insane direction and I'll admit there is surely some truth to it but hey at least they are producing protos like this last Stryker looking car and the LFA well it's pretty damn cool that they made it. It may not make much sense as a production car but it does make you pay attention.

I'm mixed on the direction of Toyota but I'll say that Mlambert hit it on the head with the Supra comment. They should have come out under the Lexus label and done something cool to compete directly with Porsche and we'd all be lining up. I might line up after it's been out for a few years to get one used cause I'm cheap....:biggrin:

Well but can shareholders be happy that they keep losing market share and sales continue to drop:confused:

I'm mean they've lost appeal with enthusiasts and they're losing it with the buying public. Honda needs a hit and some good press ...badly!

Back