Yellow NSX Owners - Is it normal for the rear bumper paint to look slightly off?

I've been looking at buying a couple of yellow NSXs. For some reason, they both look like the rear bumper paint is slightly off. The dealers selling the car tells me that they can't be 100% sure that the bumpers have not been repainted, but they said that the yellow just tends to look a little different on ABS plastic (the material the bumper is made from) than it does on aluminum (the rest of the car). Anyone have this experience?

I've been looking at buying a couple of yellow NSXs. For some reason, they both look like the rear bumper paint is slightly off. The dealers selling the car tells me that they can't be 100% sure that the bumpers have not been repainted, but they said that the yellow just tends to look a little different on ABS plastic (the material the bumper is made from) than it does on aluminum (the rest of the car). Anyone have this experience?[/QUOTE

This is normal. When you have a lot of metallic it will "stand up" on the aluminum because of the positive charge in the car. The bumpers are painted off of the car so the metallic "lays down" which will give the bumpers a slightly different shade than the aluminum. I have a 2004 Rio Yellow NSX that I purchased new and the bumpers do not match. Go to a Acura dealer and look at a pearl white or silver on a new Acura and you wll see that the bumpers are off slightly.

Brandon

I've been looking at buying a couple of yellow NSXs. For some reason, they both look like the rear bumper paint is slightly off. The dealers selling the car tells me that they can't be 100% sure that the bumpers have not been repainted, but they said that the yellow just tends to look a little different on ABS plastic (the material the bumper is made from) than it does on aluminum (the rest of the car). Anyone have this experience?

Yup...!!!:eek:, I had the same problem when I first bought my car. The dealer said the same thing about the aluminum vs. plastic.

Yes, it is normal. Mine 97 looks slightly different with the right lighting; otherwise, I can't tell. Good luck on your search.

This is common with Honda and yellow paint, because my yellow ITR came in the same way. :frown: Wait til you get a couple of rock chips and have it painted to match.. :smile:

If by yellow nsx owners, you are directing a racial slur towards our asian friends, I for one do not appreciate that.

If on the other hand, you are referring to the cowardly nsx owners, I'm sure they are too timid to answer your questions anyways.

This is common with Honda and yellow paint, because my yellow ITR came in the same way. :frown: Wait til you get a couple of rock chips and have it painted to match.. :smile:

That's why I clear bra my whole front (from rear view mirrors forward). Hit some debris off a cement truck about 3 weeks ago. Got home, saw cement powder on bumper and hood, wash car, see no damage.:smile:

This is normal. When you have a lot of metallic it will "stand up" on the aluminum because of the positive charge in the car. The bumpers are painted off of the car so the metallic "lays down" which will give the bumpers a slightly different shade than the aluminum.
This also happens with non-metallic paints. The paint composition on bumpers is different; the paint contains a plasticizer so that it can flex with the body part, as plastic can do. So the color as well as the surface texture may be ever so slightly different.

I don't know for sure, but it's also possible the bumpers are painted off the car because the plastic can't withstand the heat of the paint ovens at the factory.

Back