Yearly cost to maintain a stock 91-94

Depends on use and miles. For a 91-94 with average miles I would figure at least $1k per year. That way if is less you are happy.

This is all assuming the car doesn't need anything today as timing belt, etc are pricey items.

I've had my '91 for a year. I've spent over $7500 on it in a year. Some of it maintaining it and most of it modifying it. If you can resist the modification bug that most of us have, your yearly "maintenance" costs will be significantly reduced :smile:. I have compiled a list of things I have had to do to my '91. If you PM me I'll send you a copy.

Obviously it depends on who you get your car from and how well it was maintained but usually the first year will be more expensive if you have to go through and do all the usual stuff like spool valves, valve cover leaks, trunk and hatch trunks, cv boots, brakes, timing belt, clutch, coolant hoses, ABS maintenance, window regulators/switches, rear tires, speaker amplifiers, vehicle speed sensors, main relay, fuel filter and possibly replacing the driver's side leather bolster.

Once all this stuff is taken care of I can't think of anything that really makes the NSX too much more expensive than any other car to maintain other than rear tires and even that can be improved with a good alignment and sensible camber adjustments. Insurance can be a little more expensive but nothing to freak out about.

I am wondering is there an average price per year to maintain a NSX?

TIA

Maintenance costs per year isn't really a good way to look at the question. Some NSXs are driven a lot and some not much. Mileage per year and current mileage are the key variables in that equation. Annual costs are impossible to calculate unless you know exactly how many miles are driven and how many miles the car has at the time period you're starting from.

I've done some previous math and came up with a rough figure that represents cost per mile over the lifetime of the NSX and it falls somewhere around $.07-.09 per mile. That basically represents the base cost of owning and maintaining an NSX over the long term. That means that at the 90K mile point you will have spent roughly $6,500-7,500 replacing wear items such as tires, brakes and clutch and having all the scheduled maintenance done including the 90K service. This also takes into consideration other minor repairs that invariably must be done at high mileage such as cooling hoses, VTEC solenoids and a valve job.

Last edited:
I believe every car and every owner is strickly based on previous upkeep and how well they take care of the car.

I have owned my 98'NSX-T for 4 years, I have only had to perform the 105k service (full major) $7k, I replaced my main relay once $125, new battery, then just tires and oil changes.

Since my car had all major service before I bought it, so far I've really spent hardly any on maintanance in almost 2 years.

This year.... I spent insurance + gas + registration + speeding tickets + oil change = cheap

Last year: insurance + gas + registration + tires + 2 oil changes + alignment + bilsteins = still cheap

year before last: insurance + gas + registration + tires + 2 oil changes + alignment + LOTS of upgrades = ALOT because of upgrades.

seriously, this year was just like owning any typical japanese car. The age of the car may nickel and dime you but usually when something needs fixing which isn't too often, it's gonna cost a bit but still not too much.

I don't even own an NSX but since I'm hoping to pick one up in a few years I've done some figuring on yearly costs. It obviously depends on how much you plan to drive the car, but lets say 6,000 miles (as a 2nd car).

For me (24yr old male) insurance would run about $1000/yr for stand-alone or about $800 if I added the NSX as a second car. I'm not sure what the average NSX mpg is, but 22 MPG is probably a fair figure. Gas prices are all over the place, but $3.50/gal is safe. So around $1000/yr for fuel to go 6000 miles. $35 for an oil change every 3000 miles, plus maybe $250 for various other things like wind-shield wipers/fuilds/air filters/etc. I know the NSX can eat through tires pretty quickly (maybe 15,000 miles?), so we'll just say every other year you need a new set of tires. ~$100-$120/tire, plus alignment, etc; maybe $600. I don't know what the NSX service intervals are, but I think a maintenance allowance of at least $750-$1250 per year is good. Some years nothing will break, other years something big might go pop, balancing out the money allowed.

So we have:
Insurance: $1000
Fuel: $1000
Oil: $70
Misc: $250
Tires: $300
Maintenance: $1250
---
Total: $3870

This may be a bit high, but better to be on the high side. The real cost of owning a car is almost always higher than you think IMO. Real NSX owners will know better than I the costs for most of those things, but it's an estimate at least.

What scares the heebee jeebies out of me is that 7k hit at about 105k miles, unless I am mistaken. Most of the cars that I am looking at are right near this mileage or just under it.

get one w/ no headaches, pay more now - pay less later. . .

What scares the heebee jeebies out of me is that 7k hit at about 105k miles, unless I am mistaken. Most of the cars that I am looking at are right near this mileage or just under it.
Well, don't soil your boxers/panties over this!

A '91-'94 NSX 5spd. requires the all-critical timing-belt change a 6yrs/90k miles (whichever comes first, generally depending as to which school-of-thought you belong to). The water-pump is also replaced at this time, due to the shared labor involved. There are other things also done at this interval (use the 'search' and/or 'Prime-wiki to enlighten yourself!). The cost of this service by an Acura dealer service-center will be approx' ~$1750.

The other relatively expensive service is the 4yr/60k miles one. It includes replacement of the coolant-hoses, removal/replacement of filters, fluid-flushes, valve-adjustments, etc'. The cost of this service by an Acura dealer service-center will be approx' ~$750.

So, for an NSX w/ deferred maint'/service, ~$2,500 is about what it would cost to get it up to spec'.

Obviously, if there are seal/gasket-leaks or other wear-&-tear items (brake-discs/pads, CV-boots, clutch master/slave cylinder, etc'), then the costs for the aforementioned service-intervals will be higher due to added parts/labor.

A clutch-replacement runs ~$2,500 @ an Acura dealer service-center.

Last, but not least, going to an independent import/tuner shop w/ NSX-experience will cost reasonably less, especially if you can acquire the OEM replacement parts from an online parts supplier/vendor at a discounted price vs. an Acura dealer parts dept' that doesn't discount the parts.

And that my friend is all there is to it. . .

The $5k-$7k maintenance he was referring to should be built into the price of the car you buy. It should not really cost you directly. When buying a NSX Just make sure you pay accordingly, deduct 3k or so from value if it needs a timing belt and deduct another 3k if the clutch is due, best thing to do is to try and prorate these values. Ex.: If the timing belt is due in 1-2 years deduct $1000, if clutch was done over 50K miles ago deduct another $1000

There is no specific $7k hit at 105k, there is the timing belt & water pump due around there which is around $2000 plus miscellaneous $1000 worth of stuff that you may as well do at same time. Maybe he also did the clutch, which OEM is around $2300 installed.

I bought my car knowing that it needed a clutch & Timing Belt, thus paying 4k-5K less than than what the car was worth done IMHO. I decided to replace all the internal engine valve seals & rings as well as all gaskets & titanium valve springs, while the timing belt was done, the RPS clutch is about $600 more than OEM as well.

My bill first year:
$7000 RPS clutch/timing belt & extras, could have spent only $5K
Second Year: $600 fuel pump

The mod bug is real though, even though I bought it already with $20k worth of mods. :confused:
I'm not including the PRS clutch and engine stuff in the mods cost because I paid accordingly for the car.
1st year: $3500 Tein RE, Willwod BBK, dali sway bar,
2nd year: $4000 OEM 02 bumper, custom rear valence, CF spoiler, prospeed chip

Last edited:
It depends on the car / milage / abuse. If all the preventive maintenance is up to date the car will cost you an oil change or two depending on your milage. If you don’t drive it much, a battery. O and gas don’t forget to put that in.

Its a Honda it speaks for it self.

Back