• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WOW! You guys weren't kidding! (Dali Console)

Well, I decided I wanted to start working on my Nav system for my 05' :cool: , but I don't want to damage the OEM console by cutting it to fit a double din... I had read that a few were unhappy with Dali's "Carbon Glass" center console, but seeing as I want to add some CF to my interior, and they are the only one who currently has a CF console, it was my only choice. :redface:

It arrived yesterday morning, the following day after I ordered it, so "Big Ups" to Dali for their shipping. It was actually packaged pretty well, so no complaints there, but... Upon initial inspection, the thing looks horrible! It looks USED! :confused: (I honestly don't think it is though). A few knicks here and there, a couple of scratches, and a little dirty. Furthermore... the center stud (on the back, just above the shifter) was broken off and laying inside the box!:mad: Can this be fixed? It looks as though they just used some sort of adhesive to stick them on there. But, is there an epoxy or something I can use? Will it go back on? Superglue? Will the console still work without it? I have heard that the fitment isn't great either, but it can't be worse than the quality... :biggrin:

Dali Racing said:
Holes for the Climate Control, Shift boot and the hand brake are precut.
shift boot... check
hand brake... check
Climate control... I don't see a hole for the climate control? :confused:
On a lighter note... the weave actually looks decent. :biggrin:

I have not contacted Dali about any of the aforementioned discrepancies, because I think it will just go in one ear and out the other (I'm sure many other 'Primers' have tackled this before), but also because I figure I only paid $170 for it, and you get what you pay for, and unfortunately this is the only option for a CF look. So if it doesn't work, I'll toss it. One could argue that maybe I should have contacted Dali first, but honestly, I don't think it will make a difference. Sure they would probably replace it (because of the broken stud), but then I have to ship this one back to them and blah blah blah... I just don't feel like dealing with it.

I'm not mad, or even upset, I just wanted to share, and get a couple of quick answers. I was NOT expecting quality, so I'm not disappointed. I just wish somebody... anybody... BEN AT DOWNFORCE... would make a QUALITY CARBON FIBER CENTER CONSOLE. I would pay upwards of $1000 for a good, quality console. If I knew how to make CF parts, I would do it myself and make a mint on this forum alone.

Anyone know where I can find the door inserts in CF? (the panels where the switches are)

Bob, do yourself a favor by not installing it and see if Mark will take it back. I'm sure he will, he's pretty reasonable. Please for the love of god do not install that thing in your car. You have one of the nicest, cleanest, lowest mileage NSX's i've ever seen in person. That thing would look hideous in your car. If you come out to PAG this weekend you can see the console that I bought off of ebay. It's 10X better that the Dali one. The CF goes all the way around the edges and the fit is pretty good, about 90%. It's still not as nice as say.... the center console in a Diablo 6.0, but it's a LOT better than the Dali one. I have a good mix of some other Downforce and Dali CF stuff in my interior, come check it out one of these weekends if you can.

As far as the door panel inserts SOS has an overlay kit, but you have to buy the whole set, which isn't that great IMO. I took it off..... Except for the door panel inserts of course, they were pretty good.

Also, John had a pretty nice CF console, the nicest one out there so far. Last I heard he wanted to go back to a stock interior, so he might be getting rid of it :rolleyes: I was going to order one from the same vendor but some other members were having problems, so I passed......

If you know how to do CF stuff we can make a fiberglass copy of my console and then overlay it with CF and try to make a copy? I have a few instructional vids I can burn for you which outline the process. It seems pretty straightforward and the guy doing it wasn't exactly a rocket scientist. He make some kickass CF parts for his integra type r in front of his garage and in his kitchen. If you can lay a good clearcoat we might be onto something here......

Simo

There was someone here in so cal that bought a pretty nice one for $400......do a search you might find it.......he had it made in china but it came out really nice.......I am sure you can ship the dali one and get credit for something else......

I have overlays in my car and it looks fine to me but to each his own....=)

ShifyBob-
It sounds like you got the console that I shipped back to Mark because of the same reason (it was scratched and looked used). The problem was he never shipped me a new one or refunded me the money for the console……..what a prick!! I have to agree with Diablo360, don’t put a piece of crap console on such a beautiful car. I ended up buying a new CF console on ebay just like Diablo360 and it is exactly like he described………AND I only paid $250 shipped for it.

ShifyBob-
It sounds like you got the console that I shipped back to Mark because of the same reason (it was scratched and looked used). The problem was he never shipped me a new one or refunded me the money for the console……..what a prick!! I have to agree with Diablo360, don’t put a piece of crap console on such a beautiful car. I ended up buying a new CF console on ebay just like Diablo360 and it is exactly like he described………AND I only paid $250 shipped for it.

Yup, that's the one. I'm sure if our guy tried a little harder he could make a better console. Mine is almost perfect. If he did a better clear coat it would be a lot better. Perhaps i'll experiment and try to overlay another layer of CF and re-clear it myself.

Bob, do yourself a favor by not installing it and see if Mark will take it back. I'm sure he will, he's pretty reasonable.

Simo

Negative. Mark will not refund/exchange any part that he considers used! Even if you try installing something and it doesn't fit. Even if the item is perfectly still in new condition, he will not co-operate with you. Even if you are on your 2nd NSX and you've been a long time customer since February of 2000. :mad:

If you haven't noticed, I'm having this problem. My only alternative is to cancel payment with my cc company and return the item.

Regards,
- Z

If you come out to PAG this weekend you can see the console that I bought off of ebay. It's 10X better that the Dali one... come check it out one of these weekends if you can.

Also, John had a pretty nice CF console, the nicest one out there so far. Last I heard he wanted to go back to a stock interior, so he might be getting rid of it :rolleyes: I was going to order one from the same vendor but some other members were having problems, so I passed......

If you know how to do CF stuff we can make a fiberglass copy of my console and then overlay it with CF and try to make a copy? I have a few instructional vids I can burn for you which outline the process. It seems pretty straightforward...

Simo

What is 'Johns' username? If he wants to sell it, and it's still in good condition, I would be willing to give him what he paid for it if it's what I'm looking for... What vendor?

I'm not going to waste my time/money shipping it back. I'll prob install it until I can find a decent one. I REALLY want to put a Kenwood Nav/DVD system in my car (I feel lost without Nav) and I don't want to wait any longer, so I will just install it until i can find something better. IF it really looks that bad against my shift knob and boot, then maybe I'll find a paintable replacement until i can find a quality CF one....

I don't know how, nor have ever tried to do any work with CF. If I can't get this resolved, then I may just try. Could you possibly burn the DVD's and bring them to PAG this weekend?

There was someone here in so cal that bought a pretty nice one for $400......do a search you might find it.......he had it made in china but it came out really nice...

I searched for a while on the net, but came up with nothing (and I consider myself pretty 'net' savvy). If you know of a place where I could have one made, or have a link or a number... anything, please let me know.

I may buy the SOS kit just for the door overlays, but I didn't like the look of the overlay for the center console (no offense to those that are using it).

I am the 'John' Simo is referring to, I purchased an OEM console to play around with a few weeks ago, and have it cut/primered - once I get my double din headunit I will be removing my carbon console, and listing it for sale. If you're looking for something immediate you might want to purchase elsewhere, as I am still in the 'toying' phase with my modified/stock console, and I am waiting for the new pioneer AVIC-D3 (comes out around March), so I won't be listing mine for at least another 1.5-2 months.

The vendor I purchased from is listed in the thread Dave mentioned above, it's pricey, but it's also the best console I have seen/handled. I also had the Dali console, and threw it away a few months after buying it... it's a horrible piece unless you decide to paint it. I have also seen Simo's carbon console in person, and it's decent quality, a few imperfections in the clear coat (like it was done outside, with dust/dirt), but you could probably wetsand most of the imperfections out if that's critical to you.

so let me get this right. Mark sends you what appears to be a used and somewhat broken piece. Then you decide you don't want the item so you send it back just to find out he will not refund or exchange the item because the item looks like it was used or broken?? I'm amazed and baffled that people still buy from him. If you get your money back your lucky.

I did see that thread, but it appears that some members are having trouble with getting things that they have already paid for. I have a couple of emails/phone calls out, and if nothing comes up, then that may be my last option...

shiftybob- Check your PM.

Got it! Thank you!

I am the 'John' Simo is referring to, I purchased an OEM console to play around with a few weeks ago, and have it cut/primered - once I get my double din headunit I will be removing my carbon console, and listing it for sale. If you're looking for something immediate you might want to purchase elsewhere, as I am still in the 'toying' phase with my modified/stock console, and I am waiting for the new pioneer AVIC-D3 (comes out around March), so I won't be listing mine for at least another 1.5-2 months.

The vendor I purchased from is listed in the thread Dave mentioned above, it's pricey, but it's also the best console I have seen/handled. I also had the Dali console, and threw it away a few months after buying it... it's a horrible piece unless you decide to paint it. I have also seen Simo's carbon console in person, and it's decent quality, a few imperfections in the clear coat (like it was done outside, with dust/dirt), but you could probably wetsand most of the imperfections out if that's critical to you.

Thanks John (sorry, I'm horrible with names). I am going to continue on my trek for a Quality Carbon Fiber Console and if I haven't found a suitable one by the time you list yours... I want first dibs! :smile:

What is 'Johns' username? If he wants to sell it, and it's still in good condition, I would be willing to give him what he paid for it if it's what I'm looking for... What vendor?

I don't know how, nor have ever tried to do any work with CF. If I can't get this resolved, then I may just try. Could you possibly burn the DVD's and bring them to PAG this weekend?

I may buy the SOS kit just for the door overlays, but I didn't like the look of the overlay for the center console (no offense to those that are using it).

I'll bring a few copies of the vcd's to PAG this saturday if anybody wants one just ask me, I have the red coupe with white NA1 Type R rims.

so let me get this right. Mark sends you what appears to be a used and somewhat broken piece. Then you decide you don't want the item so you send it back just to find out he will not refund or exchange the item because the item looks like it was used or broken?? I'm amazed and baffled that people still buy from him. If you get your money back your lucky.

Anyone know if he is going to NSXPO?:rolleyes:

Back