Wow....wouldn't a detuned version of this beast be great in the next NSX

Yep, sounds like a lawnmower. N/A is the way and there's no replacement for displacement. Honda is out of their element building turbo engines.

Now, the Indycar V8 from Honda... there's a glorious racket.

I was at the 1986 and 1987 Adelaide Formula 1 races when Honda and BMW V6 turbo engines ruled and i can tell you they sounded impressive

I find it funny that Honda strays from turbocharged engines in their street cars. Meanwhile they dominated them in F1 in the 80's, stopped when F1 went back to N/A, and now they are back again now that forced induction is again allowed.

Can someone explain to me how an electric motor is going to top off the batteries(Last line in Article)?

Can someone explain to me how an electric motor is going to top off the batteries(Last line in Article)?

If an electric motor is being turned by an external force such as the wheels of a car or a gas engine, it will convert that kinetic energy into electricity.
This will happen anytime there is no current being sent to the electric motor.
Any time an F1 car is not using electric boost, the electric motors will send electricity to the batteries.

Once the sound is amplified through the exhaust system, it will sound glorious. The turbo engines of the 80's only rev'd to 12,000, the new 1.6 will be over 14,000, give it a slightly higher pitch.

Small motor. Would be nice if the new nsx had two of them. One for the front wheels on for the rear. Detune each by 40% and you still have a crazy fast car. ;)

Last edited:
Once the sound is amplified through the exhaust system, it will sound glorious. The turbo engines of the 80's only rev'd to 12,000, the new 1.6 will be over 14,000, give it a slightly higher pitch.
The Doppler effect is not to be ignored here as well. It's the sound we all love when we hear a race car wizzing by us. Even today's engines would sound different if put into a dyno room.

I brought up a similar discussion in this thread. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/175772-Could-This-Be-the-NSX-2-0-Power-Plant I still think, if Honda/Acura is going to be in keeping with the spirit of the original NSX, a 2 liter six putting out impressive HP is not out of the question. The weight savings would at least compensate for part of the weight of the battery pack and electric motors. And continue to showcase their racing technology in real world driving.

I brought up a similar discussion in this thread. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/175772-Could-This-Be-the-NSX-2-0-Power-Plant I still think, if Honda/Acura is going to be in keeping with the spirit of the original NSX, a 2 liter six putting out impressive HP is not out of the question. The weight savings would at least compensate for part of the weight of the battery pack and electric motors. And continue to showcase their racing technology in real world driving.

How efficient this setup would be, ie MPG, in this time of Hybrids and plug ins and demand for greener than green hypercars is the only issue. HONDA is more environmentally conscious than most automakers and unless a setup is very environmentally friendly, they are unlikely to adopt it in a road going vehicle, even though it will be a very limited production model and its impact on the environment will be negligible.

This is what frustrates me: an automaker will have all sorts of gas guzzling SUVs and trucks using regular internal combustion engines, selling by the boatload and "polluting" the air but at the same time they will produce sports cars with hybrid technology to "save the environment" when they sell far, far fewer of these cars:confused:

Toyota is more guilty of this than most.

Last edited:
Back