Would you rebuild EPS on 97 NSX or switch to manual steering on 188K miles car?

I just bought 97 NSX with 188K miles and the steering needs rebuilding. The car made it 1400 miles from Oklahoma to PA without a problem, but I miss the feel of manual steering. Anybody swapped the rack ? Parts list? Thanks prime.

Okay, uninformed/uneducated question, but doesn't the steering become manual when EPS no longer works? Meaning, why mess with it at all? Seems to me there may be some added components but the rack will still perform.

Okay, uninformed/uneducated question, but doesn't the steering become manual when EPS no longer works? Meaning, why mess with it at all? Seems to me there may be some added components but the rack will still perform.

The electronic part is perfect. I's the mechanical part needs work. So it's $ 1,600 to rebuild or get manual rack and save 30 pouds.

Here is the parts list for the manual rack assembly

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-...ual-engine/chassis-cat/steering-gear-box-scat

You will need to check the part numbers for the tie rods and other interconnecting bits to find out whether they need to be changed out to accommodate the manual rack. Clearly it is doable since other have done it.

As to the question of 'Would you rebuild', that is subjective. If you are going to spend the majority of time at the track or at high speed on twisty roads, then you probably won't miss the EPS. If, like most owners you drive in stop and go urban traffic and need to do a lot of low speed maneuvers, particularly if you are like me and need to do a bunch of back and forth maneuvers to get into a garage off of a laneway, cranking the steering wheel back and forth gets really old really quickly, particularly if you change out the wheels and tires for a wider tire. Only you can make that call.

Last edited:
Back