Would you buy this...

I have been looking for a '95 + NSX Automatic for my wife will little luck. Her second choice is a Boxster. I found a new (with 200 miles) Boxster S tiptronic with all the right options for her today. Sticker price is $60K.

Here is the problem. By full disclosure they told me the car was damaged in an accident that required a new left front fender, front bumper cover and a new radiator. There was no structural damage. I will be able to see the pics of the damage and the repair order from a pretty reputable local body shop.

I inspected it real close on a bright sunny day and cannot see any signs of repair. I drove it and found it solid and rattle free. The steering was dead on.

They have had the car for more than 2 months and are motivated to sell. They have already knocked the price to $54K. I think I could get it around $50-52.

New Tiptronic "S" models are rare (I think only a couple on the East coast). Production and delivery of all Boxsters for '04 is done.

Would you buy it if this was the kind of car you wanted?

Thanks. Rick

I'd stay away too, unless you planned to keep this car for a very long time. 6 or more years. The depreciation aside, the car has paintwork and you will deal with the headaches of explaining/proving this type stuff to any potential buyer.

I think you'd be better off in the same car w/ 10,000 miles clean than 200 and paintwork.

Brian2by2 said:
isn't $60k way too much for a previously damaged boxster??? :confused:

""They have had the car for more than 2 months and are motivated to sell. They have already knocked the price to $54K. I think I could get it around $50-52.""

$50-$52G would be better spent...

on a car that is perfect. Go with an older Boxster that is perfect...there are lots of them out there. My old Boxster was a 99 with under 20k mi and it was perfect.

Get the car you want, period. Just be cautious of wrecked dealer cars. Having worked at a dealer while I was in school, I can tell you they cut corners on that stuff and like to skip parts wherever possible. In the end, just find a car you like in good shape. If you really want to buy this Boxster S, I can bet you will get it for $10,000 off sticker since it has been wrecked.

I don't know what options you're getting, but there's an almost $8K markup on the Boxster S. I would try to find a car for $1-2K above invoice. All I know is, regardless of the discount (unless it was massive, like $20K or so) I would NOT buy this car. Resale will also be a pain.

-Awais

If I wanted a new Porsche cheap to make it a track rat, this would be a very good deal. For my wife to drive everyday however, no.

I have driven a boxster and I was TOTALLY unimpressed. I am sure the S is better, but probably not by much.

I would rather get a G35 coupe auto over a boxster or even a Vette..

tabasco said:
I have been looking for a '95 + NSX Automatic for my wife will little luck.
Check Autotrader, there is a 96 Auto in Kitty Hawk, NC (zip 27949).

Black / Camel
20.6K miles
$42,995 asking price
JH4NA1281TT000196
Victory Chevrolet Buick Pontiac
1-888-256-0693

I have no interest in or knowledge of the the car other than what is in the ad.

There's a '96 Auto in the LA Times today, 35K miles, 760 758-6100, no price given. Good Luck

I completely agree with Bilulan.

If your going to keep the car for a long time, then the blemished report may not be an issue.

I've always liked the Porsche Boxster.

NetViper said:
I have driven a boxster and I was TOTALLY unimpressed. I am sure the S is better, but probably not by much.

I would rather get a G35 coupe auto over a boxster or even a Vette..

I have driven both boxsters and there is a huge difference. I agree with you assessment of the Regular Boxster, but the "S" is a lot of fun.

No problem.
Let us know what you end up getting & Good luck with the search.

Back