Would you buy a car with a rebuilt title?

If a low mileage stock 1997 NSX has been meticulously maintained for over 10+ years, owned by an older gentleman who drives it 1,000 miles/year, but has a rebuilt title due to an accident 15 years ago, and is priced accordingly, is it worth buying, and at what price point?

Depends on what priced accordingly is. If I was considering one I would put it on a Hunter Alignment machine and make sure it checks out. Along with a qualified PPI and you have a good foundation of what your are getting into.

If a low mileage stock 1997 NSX has been meticulously maintained for over 10+ years, owned by an older gentleman who drives it 1,000 miles/year, but has a rebuilt title due to an accident 15 years ago, and is priced accordingly, is it worth buying, and at what price point?

Depends on the accident and the repairs. I would price it at a condition 4 and go up based on the information available. I would only be doing this if I were on a limited budget, otherwise I would pass on the car and find something else.

Last edited:
Well are you purchasing vehicle to flip or drive? If you're keeping it you can pay more.

To drive :)

Depends on what priced accordingly is. If I was considering one I would put it on a Hunter Alignment machine and make sure it checks out. Along with a qualified PPI and you have a good foundation of what your are getting into.

For reference, a member here bought a 99 NSX w/55k miles for $55k a few months ago? Said car is at <39k miles and is asking $45k.

To drive :)

For reference, a member here bought a 99 NSX w/55k miles for $55k a few months ago? Said car is at <39k miles and is asking $45k.
A reason to purchase a salvage vehicle is to spend less dollars. Like above poster mentioned have a comprehensive ppi performed. There is a 99 listed in the marketplace for $56,900, inquire about that one. Someone told me buy the best one you can afford. We're talking a 10,000$ difference, given that I'd get the clean title choice, no question, again if all checks out.

Last edited:
I'm going to respond from the other direction about owning a previously salvaged NSX.

I bought my NSX not knowing that it was previously salvaged. It had a clean title. I owned it for 14 years with zero issues. The passenger front frame rail had been damaged before and repaired poorly, but covered up very well. The car drove straight and there were no signs that there was severe frame damage. However, I was involved in an incident that caused the previous repair to fail and the repair facility told me not to drive the car again, even though the car looked and drove fantastic after my incident. I was paid my full stated value by my insurance company and walked away lucky to have owned a great car for a very long time.

That being said, if the car checks out good, and a body shop that knows the NSX well gives it a good survey, I wouldn't hesitate driving the piss out of it. Just know that you'll never have an NSX which appreciate in the current market, but you'll at least be able to experience ownership and say "I once owned an NSX." Remember that any mods or repairs you do will never make up for a rebuilt/salvaged titled car.

If I was buying to keep long-term and drive, I'd do it in a flash. NA2s with popups seem to be rarer each time I look.

I guess the big question is what is priced accordingly? You will always have a car with a "black eye" so, like others have said, if it's for you I'd have no hesitation in buying one provided it's safe. If you have any intention of it being an appreciating asset I'd try and find another with a clean title.

If you could buy it at a level that if you chose to chop it up and sell of the parts...that difference in parts income versus what you paid is less than renting a car....then go for it.

I'll diagram that for you if you like.

You could also end up buying a "clean" car (carfax etc.) and find out later that there had been work done on it.
There are ways that titles can be "cleaned" - some states more prevalent than others I think.
Ultimately you need to have someone experienced look at the car and condition
I did none of this - I was love sick after 2 years of searching - but had looked up the VIN and previous notes about the car.
Then decide why you are buying it - drive or invest and the price point - I decided I wanted to drive vs look at the car - glad I made this compromise.
When I was looking there was a silver car that had title issues but looked pretty clean - I kept looking.
I must say that 94710 makes a point.
In the end just get one though - :smile:

BTW - buying the car is just the first stop getting into the club - you still gotta keep it worthy.

A car with a "clean" title may not always be accident free and in the shape you think it is. You can buy a car, register/title it in FL where they don't have such thing as a "rebuilt" title and all of a sudden it's clean again. There was an NSX on eBay just like this.

You can inspect the car and if it checks out to your satisfaction and you pay an appropriate price, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good purchase. Especially if you intend on driving, enjoying and keeping the car and you don't intend on selling and are OK with a lower selling price (but you should also be purchasing at a lower price) if you ever do sell.

On the other hand, my friend who knows a lot about cars and has bought, built, sold many cars, swears he will never buy another rebuilt car again. It could end up being more headache than it's worth with little things that pop up later on that you didn't know about.

Lastly, (if it's) a fender bender isn't the end of the world. People put on aftermarket bumpers, body kits, hoods, fenders, wings, etc all the time.

I believe that we are not very far away from.........if you can find an NSX for sale buy it......If you could find a 1970 Hemi Cuda for sale for the "right" price would you care if it had a salvage title or not?
You must decide for yourself, some can't have a "salvage" title car in their stable......some can......which one are you?

Hey docboy, another concern I'd have with obtaining a rebuilt title NSX is the ability to finance it. Most banks, etc. either won't finance one, or will require you to make a significant (50%) downpayment before they will finance one.

Personally, I'd pass unless you're in the auto body industry and know the ins and outs of rebuilt/salvaged cars.

While many claim they'll keep the NSX forever, few rarely do. Remember when it's time to sell, buyers will be also sceptical as you are now. It may be a hard sell. Just food for thought.

Back