Would you buy a 91 T belt WP not done?

Well maintained car buy a man that works at a Acura dealer 68K on the odometer? 60 K service just done but not the timing belt or water pump? I know it should have been done, but it is not! He is asking 26k! Thanks Mike

He is asking 26K? You could try and get him to lower the price.

With 68K miles, and assuming no wrecks, paint is good, interior good etc. How about the stereo/amps...have they been replaced? What about the window regulator(s)? Does he have service records? Have you pulled a carfax? How many previous owners? What is the color? Is manual or auto tranny? Have you seen the car in person, or is the "well maintained" description from an internet ad? Is it in snap ring range?

More details will help us help you a litte better. But assuming the car is in good to excellent shape, 26K sounds like a good deal.

The owner appears to be going by miles alone and not time. The belt should have been changed in 97 or 98 by the book.

I recently bought a 93 that had less than 18K miles and never had the belt replaced. I had it changed just for the piece of mind. (The old belt looked to be in very good shape).

The price for a WP/TB replacement os going to be "around" $1500. Take this into consideration when making a deal.

I bought my 92 a year ago with 42,000 miles on it and I'm scheduled to do a timing belt and water pump change somtime in the next month. My mechanic says the belt is still good but I'm changing it anyways just incase anything bad happens to it. I dont see why you shouldnt buy a 91 just because the t belt and W P is not done. You can definitely ask him to lower the price or have him get it done before you purchase the car.

djdrock said:
He is asking 26K? You could try and get him to lower the price.

With 68K miles, and assuming no wrecks, paint is good, interior good etc. How about the stereo/amps...have they been replaced? What about the window regulator(s)? Does he have service records? Have you pulled a carfax? How many previous owners? What is the color? Is manual or auto tranny? Have you seen the car in person, or is the "well maintained" description from an internet ad? Is it in snap ring range?

More details will help us help you a litte better. But assuming the car is in good to excellent shape, 26K sounds like a good deal.
No wrecks, great paint, int ok, Alpine dvd head unit, all records, not in snap ring,2 owners,manual, clutch replaced at 60K,red with top painted red, pass door lock removed and filled in.

If I bought it, I would just plan on changing it asap when you get the car.
Thats what I did with mine. I had it changed within a week of buying the car.

26k-2k=deal@24k

$26K - $2K = Deal @ $24K

I'd offer him $24K since you have to get it done yourself. For a good 100K service, it runs about 2K but that smore then just the WP and timing belt.:wink:

At my 100K service they even replaced my seatbelts for FREE, guess Acura had something out on tem to change them out of all 91-94 NSX's.

Yes I would buy it, if it was what I was looking for.

As far as the timing belt, I think it is a fear induced rumor that if you dont replace you timing belt at the alloted time, your engine will die. I question the time guidelines not the mileage.

Have I done my timing belt on my 95 with 30,000 mi?

Yes...LOL

Sounds like a good deal to me as long as everything else is in order. Just have it done soon!

first of all, don't assume the car is a great deal right away. a really nice 91 would run low 30's. expect to pay that much in the end, after finishing your maintenance and whatever else needs to be done. 1500 is a very good price for the belts / wp. you may want to do rad hoses also. then the list of things to replace due to them just being old goes on....

have you had it inspected, or looked at everything really closely?

I was looking at this car as well. The owner says he works at an Acura dealership.....so it "taken very well care of". But I wonder why he didn't know to change the timing belt? Seems like a fair deal to me as well, but I really want white or silver.

Regards,
- Z

Re: 26k-2k=deal@24k

btcog82 said:
At my 100K service they even replaced my seatbelts for FREE, guess Acura had something out on tem to change them out of all 91-94 NSX's.

What was wrong with your seat belts?

ceeya32 said:
Well maintained car buy a man that works at a Acura dealer 68K on the odometer? 60 K service just done but not the timing belt or water pump? I know it should have been done, but it is not! He is asking 26k! Thanks Mike

is that my friend Dave's car in NJ?:confused:

NSX FoYoAss said:
Probably. The owners name is David and is in NJ.

The car is exceptional. I remember when he bought the car about 4 years ago. We worked together and I still remember saying, "this kids 25 and this is what he's driving". Needless to say, I had to have it.:biggrin: I bought his last car off him, a 1994 BMW 325is in 1999 and it was very well maintained. I dont think he posts here, but the car is very clean and well taken care off. Volk rims, JDM navi, serviced by open road acura in NJ, painted roof...overall an exceptional car. Id still PPI it but its a steal. If it was another color, id already own it.:wink:

I looked and drove that car too...Guy seems cool... I like it alot.. nice wheels... love the Nav Pod..... great tastful mods went into the car, but.....

5 things stop me from buying it:

1- Tow driver for acura dealerships but maintnance not done? questionable and also that car car has a really wierd idle it bobbs from 500-1300 rpm, but with conections at acura why hasent this been fixed thats kinda wierd.

2- He does not have recipts for the past 2 yrs of ownership only 3 yrs before of ownership.

3-PPI wont help cause he is close with both local dealers the only way I would be confident in a PPI would be from Davis Acura in Pendel, PA 45: min south

4- Its been on ebay 3 times as of today starting price 26k with no bids each time

5- why was the passenger side door lock shaved off what else needed painting on the door that deserved the paint in the first place you dont just go shave a door lock and paint/ match the whole side for n reason. I dont think thats a normal mod.

besides that the car looks great but that idle poblem should have been resolved especially scince he has the hook up thats the most fishy thing.

Guy seems cool nothing against him. Just my opinion, I have seriously considerd the car.

I guess im in the mode of if, it sounds too good it probably is....

Guy was real nice and he seems very responsible, young self employed, clean recently remodled home, very organized usaually the qualities that make me comfortable buying from the individual....but the questions are there regaurdless.
slightly better deal to make up for the extras and Id buy but, 25k for a 91 with 68k no accidents is a real steal!!! Thats why it doesent make sence for someone in the buis to let that happen as a seller, couldent he just consign the car on the ACURA lot and pull 30k?
Too many questions. I think the whole thing about him working for acura raises too many questions, and expectations. if that was unknown I wouldent suspect anything and would have already forked over the cash and had it in my garage....

Last edited:
Re: 26k-2k=deal@24k

sjones said:
What was wrong with your seat belts?

Honestly I dont know, I dropped it off at Acura for her 100K service and when I came back we were walking around it doing the final inspection of the work and going over the bill and what not...Then he just said, "Oh, no charge at all, but Acura recommended seatbelts be changed out of the 91 through 94 NSX's." ODD I HAD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM AND NEVER HEARD OF THAT:cool: :confused: :rolleyes: , I checked, checked, and double checked the bill to make sure they weren't trying to be slick:cool: . All and all I made out with all new belts, hoses, WP, TB, all new exterior belts, valve job, trans flush, coolant flush, oil change, and a coupld other goodies for right under 2K, and some dark shining black new FREE seatbelts...cool!

Patricio said:
I looked and drove that car too...Guy seems cool... I like it alot.. nice wheels... love the Nav Pod..... great tastful mods went into the car, but.....

5 things stop me from buying it:

1- Tow driver for acura dealerships but maintnance not done? questionable and also that car car has a really wierd idle it bobbs from 500-1300 rpm, but with conections at acura why hasent this been fixed thats kinda wierd.

2- He does not have recipts for the past 2 yrs of ownership only 3 yrs before of ownership.

3-PPI wont help cause he is close with both local dealers the only way I would be confident in a PPI would be from Davis Acura in Pendel, PA 45: min south

4- Its been on ebay 3 times as of today starting price 26k with no bids each time

5- why was the passenger side door lock shaved off what else needed painting on the door that deserved the paint in the first place you dont just go shave a door lock and paint/ match the whole side for n reason. I dont think thats a normal mod.

besides that the car looks great but that idle poblem should have been resolved especially scince he has the hook up thats the most fishy thing.

Guy seems cool nothing against him. Just my opinion, I have seriously considerd the car.

I guess im in the mode of if, it sounds too good it probably is....

Guy was real nice and he seems very responsible, young self employed, clean recently remodled home, very organized usaually the qualities that make me comfortable buying from the individual....but the questions are there regaurdless.
slightly better deal to make up for the extras and Id buy but, 25k for a 91 with 68k no accidents is a real steal!!! Thats why it doesent make sence for someone in the buis to let that happen as a seller, couldent he just consign the car on the ACURA lot and pull 30k?
Too many questions. I think the whole thing about him working for acura raises too many questions, and expectations. if that was unknown I wouldent suspect anything and would have already forked over the cash and had it in my garage....
Thanks Tiago, I really appriciate that review, very helpful! I think someone tried to break into the car, hence he did away with the lock.

You guys are crazy!

1. He drives a tow truck for an Acura dealership and he's not a mechanic. He just doesnt think the T/Belt pump needs to be changed yet. This topic has been debated to death and I can understand why some people feel this way. My belt was original when it was changed 3 years ago, and my tech said it looked brand new.:wink:

2. Ive had a ton of stuff done on my car and cant prove it, then again ill never sell mine so I dont care. Most mechanics at dealerships will do side work and get paid in cash. How can they right you a reciept, they would losse their job if the dealership isnt profiting. I have reciepts for all the parts but then again thats just me.

3. He's 5 minutes from Bridgewater Acura, i.e ME:biggrin: Dont think my NSX tech is qualified to look over an nsx and perform a PPI. Acura seems to think so. :confused:

4. The Ebay thing, Ive sold hundreds of cars and Ebay and unless its late model and have good credit, its tough. I do this for a living. Ive had brand new 2005 NSX's on Ebay for invioce, for months and months and months.

5. I think car was broken into but who cares. Its a overall nice NSX with 1 door lock. Ive never stuck the key in the lock cylinder in almost 3 years, why start now:smile:

As I said before, I bought Dave's last car off him about 7 years ago and trust me when I tell you. He doesnt need to save money here and there and cut corners. He has plenty of cash. Second of all, if this car was any other color, I would buy it.

I am not vouching for this car, I havent seen it in years but I know the last time I saw it, it was perfect. Bring it here, PPI it and steal an NSX. I cant find his number, if anyone talks to him. Tell him I say hi

The Kid said:
He drives a tow truck for an Acura dealership and he's not a mechanic. trust me when I tell you............. He doesnt need to save money here and there and cut corners. He has plenty of cash.

I need to become a tow truck driver for Acura!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

haha j/k. Like I said before, I think it's a good deal. I would just do the tb asap, but that's just me. I would be more interested if it were closer and the color I want. :tongue:

NSX FoYoAss said:
I need to become a tow truck driver for Acura!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :

He got that car when he was our lot attendant and Open Road Honda about 5 years ago. As I said, money is not a concern. That car if listed on PRIME would sell for $30k in a matter of days:wink:

I bought my '91 with 65k miles and no timing belt replacement...drove it for a year and 8k miles before I had it done.

It's not even an issue...$26k is a good price, either buy the car because you like it or don't, but the timing belt is a non issue, just realize you'll be spending $1500 to do it as soon as possible.

NSX FoYoAss said:
I was looking at this car as well. The owner says he works at an Acura dealership.....so it "taken very well care of". But I wonder why he didn't know to change the timing belt? Seems like a fair deal to me as well, but I really want white or silver.

Regards,
- Z

What happended to your old car?

clr1024 said:
What happended to your old car?

Sold to purchase first house and continue my education. But, upside....got a better job recently and I'm craving a NSX again! Craving is an understandment... :D Hope to back in the cockpit soon! :wink:

Regards,
- Z

Back